Psion a really good machine? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion a really good machine? - Scion ; Hello, I'm a Psion User now (NetBook). Do you really think Psion is a good machine? Sure, the size is genial, but sometimes I must fight with EPOC because something doesn't work in the way it should. It's really to ...

  1. Psion a really good machine?

    Hello,

    I'm a Psion User now (NetBook). Do you really think Psion is a good
    machine? Sure, the size is genial, but sometimes I must fight with EPOC
    because something doesn't work in the way it should. It's really to say
    I prefer RISC OS machines. The problem for me since years is there is
    no RISC OS machine out with the size of a NetBook. I'm a globetrotter
    and this is why I'm looking for a good size. I used also a PocketPC
    with WindowsCE, but I will do this because of bad experience not again.
    A problem for me was always the touchscreen (also on Psion). It's a
    good idea but very sensible...

    Is Linux available for Psion?

    --
    Alexander Ausserstorfer

  2. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    Hi Alexander,

    Being a Psion user (3a, 3c, 3mx & 5mx) itís probably obvious
    that I find them good machines. Size, portability, reliability
    and stability are important to me. I can use it in the
    supermarket or the surgery or the hospital or even the cricket
    ground with no problems. The *very* versatile Agenda helps me
    keep my life under control - Iím a stroke victim so memory can
    be a problem.

    Having said that, the netBook, etc., and Revo (and clones)
    wouldnít work for me as I need to use readily available
    batteries.

    There is a port of Linux that apparently works well. It is known
    as PsiLinux. But I believe the 5mx has by far the best support.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  3. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    In article <428b1c1f$0$10993$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de>,
    Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:
    > I'm a Psion User now (NetBook). Do you really think Psion is a good
    > machine? Sure, the size is genial, but sometimes I must fight with EPOC
    > because something doesn't work in the way it should.

    Is the EPOC OS not working properly or is it not working the way you'd like it
    to?

    I have a 5mx and compared to RISC OS, it certainly lacks many useful features
    and I can see how you'd think EPOC was a bit of a dog in comparison.

    However it's got its own style. And don't you love the instant-on feature?
    I hope someone will one day do RISC OS on a CF card for the NetBook.

    > Is Linux available for Psion?

    In article ,
    Phil Aypee wrote:
    > There is a port of Linux that apparently works well. It is known
    > as PsiLinux. But I believe the 5mx has by far the best support.

    Do you mean it works on a netBook, while not having the support of the 5?

    There's a netbook on sale here by a confused seller:

    What do the batteries cost?

    Regards

    Brian

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  4. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

    > Is Linux available for Psion?

    Work in progress
    http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/

  5. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    Alexander Ausserstorfer wrote:

    > Is Linux available for Psion?

    Not a good solution remplacement at present.
    End users who are used to Epoc won't like it.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  6. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    Hi Quattrocchi,

    I donít use Linux at all and never have so this might be a bit
    wrong but I think there are different versions of Linux for
    different machines. I gather the version for the 5mx has the
    best support.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  7. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    On Wed, 18 May 2005 11:44:53, Alexander Ausserstorfer
    wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >I'm a Psion User now (NetBook). Do you really think Psion is a good
    >machine? Sure, the size is genial, but sometimes I must fight with EPOC
    >because something doesn't work in the way it should. It's really to say
    >I prefer RISC OS machines. The problem for me since years is there is
    >no RISC OS machine out with the size of a NetBook. I'm a globetrotter
    >and this is why I'm looking for a good size.

    You might like to check out Virtual Acorn:
    http://www.virtualacorn.co.uk/
    This includes both a hardware emulator and a real copy of RISC OS to run
    on your Windows PC.
    I am not sure if it is compatible with WinCE/PocketPC, but there are
    some neat little XP machines around too.

    --
    Cheers,
    Guy

    guy@use.steelpillow.less.com
    To reply, remove useless bits.

  8. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    "Alexander Ausserstorfer " wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I'm a Psion User now (NetBook). Do you really think Psion is a good
    > machine? Sure, the size is genial, but sometimes I must fight with EPOC
    > because something doesn't work in the way it should.

    It will grow on you!

    Duncan.

  9. Re: Psion a really good machine?

    On Wednesday, in article
    <428b1c1f$0$10993$9b622d9e@news.freenet.de>
    greentears@chiemgau-net.de "Alexander Ausserstorfer "
    wrote:

    > Is Linux available for Psion?

    Oh yes. Formerly the ARM-Linux project. Not sure what it is now. A bit
    of Google digging should turn up the necessaries.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  10. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    Hi,

    You can find Pinnock at
    http:://www.posltd.com/.

    But it's probably the screen cable and for that itís worth trying
    http://www.psionflexi.co.uk/ first.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  11. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    > You can find Pinnock at
    > http:://www.posltd.com/.

    That's http://www.posltd.com/

  12. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    My 5MX went wrong and I sent it back to the company for a repair after it
    went dead. They took ages -- six to eight weeks -- as it went to the south
    of France to be done (I live in the UK). The MX5 is not nearly so good now
    as the screen is slow to respond to being tapped.

    Has anyone been disappointed?

    "Gareth J M Saunders" wrote in message
    news:GeNle.41111$G8.35331@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >> You can find Pinnock at
    >> http:://www.posltd.com/.

    > That's http://www.posltd.com/

  13. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    "Mike Conder" Conder@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    > My 5MX went wrong and I sent it back to the company for a repair after it
    > went dead. They took ages -- six to eight weeks -- as it went to the south
    > of France to be done (I live in the UK). The MX5 is not nearly so good now
    > as the screen is slow to respond to being tapped.
    >
    > Has anyone been disappointed?
    >
    > "Gareth J M Saunders" wrote in message
    > news:GeNle.41111$G8.35331@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >>> You can find Pinnock at
    >>> http:://www.posltd.com/.

    >> That's http://www.posltd.com/

    I used POS a number of times and always had excellent quick service. They
    were UK based, what is the French reference?

  14. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    "Alan Smith" wrote in message

    > "Mike Conder" Conder@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >> My 5MX went wrong and I sent it back to the company for a repair after it
    >> went dead. They took ages -- six to eight weeks -- as it went to the
    >> south of France to be done (I live in the UK). The MX5 is not nearly so
    >> good now as the screen is slow to respond to being tapped.
    >>
    >> Has anyone been disappointed?
    >>
    >> "Gareth J M Saunders" wrote in message
    >> news:GeNle.41111$G8.35331@text.news.blueyonder.co. uk...
    >>>
    >>> That's http://www.posltd.com/

    > I used POS a number of times and always had excellent quick service. They
    > were UK based, what is the French reference?

    I s

    I sent my 5MX to the address shown on Psion's website. It turned out to be a
    UK logistics company who forwarded it to the south of France where it was
    repaired. This was about October of last year.

  15. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    Mike Conder wrote:

    > I sent my 5MX to the address shown on Psion's website. It turned out to be
    > a UK logistics company who forwarded it to the south of France where it
    > was repaired. This was about October of last year.

    That would be Psion's repair service, as opposed to POS. My screen went
    wrong about three years ago, and I sent the machine back to Psion as,
    according to other people's experiences, there was little to choose between
    the services of Psion and POS, and POS was slightly more expensive at the
    time if the screen needed repairing (and slightly cheaper if not).

    My machine came back after a number of weeks, also having been sent to
    France. The new screen was less responsive than the old one, and I need to
    push the stylus harder to register a click. This is more noticeable when
    dragging and drawing than when simply clicking.

    Also, I'd read that Psion, like POS, would give the machine a proper
    service, repairing more than just the one fault. I put a note in with the
    machine listing the other faults--occasional bad connection on the backup
    battery, and an unusably bad connection on the external power socket--but
    neither was repaired.

    The next time my Psion needs repair, I'll try POS. I've got used to not
    having external power, but it would be nice to have that feature back again.

    --
    Damian Walker - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    Include SAUSAGE in the subject line of email replies

  16. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    My Psion has just gone wrong again! I get a 'replace back-up battery'
    warning. I do so (three times) and within a day the same warning comes up
    again.

    Looking at Psion's site, I see that they no longer do repairs (from 1 June,
    2005) and refer all servicing matters to POS at Croydon.

    I hope they will take pity on me, having paid out £125 six months ago.

    "Damian Walker" wrote in message
    > Mike Conder wrote:
    >
    >> I sent my 5MX to the address shown on Psion's website. It turned out to
    >> be
    >> a UK logistics company who forwarded it to the south of France where it
    >> was repaired. This was about October of last year.

    > That would be Psion's repair service, as opposed to POS. My screen went
    > wrong about three years ago, and I sent the machine back to Psion as,
    > according to other people's experiences, there was little to choose
    > between
    > the services of Psion and POS, and POS was slightly more expensive at the
    > time if the screen needed repairing (and slightly cheaper if not).
    >
    > My machine came back after a number of weeks, also having been sent to
    > France. The new screen was less responsive than the old one, and I need
    > push the stylus harder to register a click. This is more noticeable when
    > dragging and drawing than when simply clicking.
    >
    > Also, I'd read that Psion, like POS, would give the machine a proper
    > service, repairing more than just the one fault. I put a note in with the
    > machine listing the other faults--occasional bad connection on the backup
    > battery, and an unusably bad connection on the external power socket--but
    > neither was repaired.
    >
    > The next time my Psion needs repair, I'll try POS. I've got used to not
    > having external power, but it would be nice to have that feature back
    > again.
    >
    > --
    > Damian Walker - http://psion.snigfarp.karoo.net/
    > Include SAUSAGE in the subject line of email replies

  17. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 21:25:22 +0100, Damian Walker
    wrote:

    >The next time my Psion needs repair, I'll try POS. I've got used to not
    >having external power, but it would be nice to have that feature back again.

    But POS are not infallible either. I sent my 5mx off to them with a
    short list of things requiring attention. The main being the screen
    cable but other things were listed including a broken hinge, and
    considerably worn legends on most of the more frequently used key
    tops. I had already enquired by telephone if all these could be
    attended to, and was told they would be dealt with.

    When 5mx was returned, all had been done except the key tops.

    However, it only took a phone call to arrange to send it back again
    freepost whereupon all the key tops were replaced.

    I'd definitely use POS again.

    Neil

  18. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    Hi Mike,

    Usually the 'replace back-up battery' message means that the
    battery contact is not pressing hard enough on the battery. A
    thin card wedge solves that problem. Try that first before
    sending the thing off.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Freedom is the handle on the bucket of your soul."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  19. Re: Help with psion 5 mx

    Hi Phil,

    Thanks for the tip. It seems to have worked and I no longer get the 'replace
    back-up battery' message. You saved me £80 or so. I should buy you a
    drink!!!

    Regards,

    Mike
    "PhilAP" wrote in message
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > Usually the 'replace back-up battery' message means that the
    > battery contact is not pressing hard enough on the battery. A
    > thin card wedge solves that problem. Try that first before
    > sending the thing off.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > "Freedom is the handle on the bucket of your soul."
    >
    > http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

+ Reply to Thread