Need to clean a Psion 5 - Scion

This is a discussion on Need to clean a Psion 5 - Scion ; Hi all, I've got a Psion 5, which I use regularly for writing on when I'm out and about. I made the stupid dumb mistake of using it at a beach (oops) and have got some sand in the opening ...

  1. Need to clean a Psion 5

    Hi all,

    I've got a Psion 5, which I use regularly for writing on when I'm out
    and about. I made the stupid dumb mistake of using it at a beach (oops)
    and have got some sand in the opening mechanism. The machine still
    opens okay and works, but each time it opens, there is a horrible
    grating noise.

    What I'd like to do is remove the screen and keyboard, clean the sand
    off and put them back, but I've never dismantled one before and I don't
    know how to. Does anyone have any advice. Is there a guide for this
    anywhere.

    Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks,

    Mark Roworth

  2. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    Hi Mark,

    I can't point you to sites explaining/showing the dismantling
    procedure but you'd probably be better off getting the thing
    properly serviced. I'd recommend Pinnock
    (http://ww.posltd.com/ - no connection). There are others
    outside of the UK if you need them.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Freedom is the handle on the bucket of your soul."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  3. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    | Hi Mark,
    |
    | I can't point you to sites explaining/showing the dismantling
    | procedure but you'd probably be better off getting the thing
    | properly serviced. I'd recommend Pinnock
    | (http://ww.posltd.com/ - no connection). There are others
    | outside of the UK if you need them.
    |
    | Take care,
    | Phil.
    |
    | "Freedom is the handle on the bucket of your soul."
    |
    | http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

    This link ( http://ww.posltd.com/ ) appears to be dead ? You can try this
    one which has a fairly straighforward guide to dismantling and...
    reassembling http://www.psionflexi.fsbusiness.co...._&_opening.htm

    Good luck
    Bernard

  4. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    Phil Aypee wrote:
    > Hi Mark,
    >
    > I can't point you to sites explaining/showing the dismantling
    > procedure but you'd probably be better off getting the thing
    > properly serviced. I'd recommend Pinnock
    > (http://ww.posltd.com/ - no connection). There are others
    > outside of the UK if you need them.
    >
    > Take care,
    > Phil.
    >
    > "Freedom is the handle on the bucket of your soul."
    >
    > http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

    The link is

    http://www.posltd.com/ (three w's)

    And they ARE good

    however have you seen the front screen?????

    Comming (sic) soon

    Psix PDA

    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!>>>>>??????

  5. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    "mark.roworth" wrote in message
    news:1115892723.852169.3400@o13g2000cwo.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Psion 5, which I use regularly for writing on when I'm out
    > and about. I made the stupid dumb mistake of using it at a beach (oops)
    > and have got some sand in the opening mechanism. The machine still
    > opens okay and works, but each time it opens, there is a horrible
    > grating noise.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is remove the screen and keyboard, clean the sand
    > off and put them back, but I've never dismantled one before and I don't
    > know how to. Does anyone have any advice. Is there a guide for this
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks,
    >
    > Mark Roworth

    There are a couple of sites still, and at leat one is no longer there, but I
    no longer have the site addresses following a crash and loss of quite a bit
    of info. If you look through the newsgroup archives you should find those
    details- they've been posted by others and myself in the past..

  6. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    On 12 May 2005 03:12:03 -0700, "mark.roworth"
    wrote:
    (Snipped)
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I've got a Psion 5, ..............
    >
    >What I'd like to do is remove the screen and keyboard, clean the sand
    >off and put them back,

    Mark
    Try this link. Backup first!
    http://www.chaos.to/psion/psion-kant.../index-en.html
    --
    John Adams.
    I do not check this mail account. Please reply to Newsgroup.

  7. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    "mark.roworth" skrev i melding
    news:1115892723.852169.3400@o13g2000cwo.googlegrou ps.com...
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've got a Psion 5, which I use regularly for writing on when I'm out
    > and about. I made the stupid dumb mistake of using it at a beach (oops)
    > and have got some sand in the opening mechanism. The machine still
    > opens okay and works, but each time it opens, there is a horrible
    > grating noise.
    >
    > What I'd like to do is remove the screen and keyboard, clean the sand
    > off and put them back, but I've never dismantled one before and I don't
    > know how to. Does anyone have any advice. Is there a guide for this
    > anywhere.
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received. Many thanks,
    >
    > Mark Roworth

    You can also take a look here.... http://www.aha.ru/~odating/index.htm

  8. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5

    Hi all,

    Many thanks everyone. I have now successfully cleaned the sand out of
    my Psion and learnt a bit in the process. Interesting about the Psix.
    Looks just like a Psion 5!

    Many thanks,

    Mark Roworth

  9. Re: Need to clean a Psion 5