Citymaps setup programme anyone? - Scion

This is a discussion on Citymaps setup programme anyone? - Scion ; Hi, I need to reload my Citymaps application, and ther eused to be an updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find it. Does anyone have it and could email it to me? remove the ...

  1. Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    Hi,

    I need to reload my Citymaps application, and ther eused to be an
    updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find it.
    Does anyone have it and could email it to me? remove the not from my
    email to get through.

    Thanks!

    Stuart

  2. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I need to reload my Citymaps application, and ther eused to be an
    | updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find
    it.
    | Does anyone have it and could email it to me? remove the not from my
    | email to get through.
    |
    | Thanks!
    |
    | Stuart

    Did you try emailing them? They should be able to email it to you but
    will possibly ask for some kind proof of purchase- tell the email
    address you registered your original purchase with.

  3. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    alan smith wrote:
    > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    > | Hi,
    > |
    > | I need to reload my Citymaps application, and ther eused to be an
    > | updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find
    > it.
    > | Does anyone have it and could email it to me? remove the not from my
    > | email to get through.
    > |
    > | Thanks!
    > |
    > | Stuart
    >
    > Did you try emailing them? They should be able to email it to you but
    > will possibly ask for some kind proof of purchase- tell the email
    > address you registered your original purchase with.

    Well, it was a free download. I got the programme with a secondhand 5mx
    from eBay - so no original contact with Palmtop. But, as I say, I
    d/loaded it fine a couple of years ago.

    [/rant_on]
    Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is out-of-date?
    They could easily put it up with an "unsupported" notice on it.

    The same goes for shareware authors who cease to support their products.
    They really should put up "free" codes somewhere, with a note to the
    effect that the software is no longer supported. Bah!
    [/rant_off]

    Stuart

  4. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    news:1114985045.8455.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net.. .
    | alan smith wrote:
    | > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    | > | Hi,
    | > |
    | > | I need to reload my Citymaps application, and ther eused to be an
    | > | updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer
    find
    | > it.
    | > | Does anyone have it and could email it to me? remove the not
    from my
    | > | email to get through.
    | > |
    | > | Thanks!
    | > |
    | > | Stuart
    | >
    | > Did you try emailing them? They should be able to email it to you
    but
    | > will possibly ask for some kind proof of purchase- tell the email
    | > address you registered your original purchase with.
    | >

    | Well, it was a free download. I got the programme with a secondhand
    5mx
    | from eBay - so no original contact with Palmtop. But, as I say, I
    | d/loaded it fine a couple of years ago.
    |
    | [/rant_on]
    | Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    | companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is
    out-of-date?
    | They could easily put it up with an "unsupported" notice on it.
    |
    | The same goes for shareware authors who cease to support their
    products.
    | They really should put up "free" codes somewhere, with a note to
    the
    | effect that the software is no longer supported. Bah!
    | [/rant_off]
    |
    | Stuart

    That you don't have/can't find a link does not mean it isn't on the
    website, or that they don't have it. Ask them.

  5. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    alan smith wrote:
    > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    > news:1114985045.8455.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net.. .
    > | alan smith wrote:
    > | > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    > | > |
    > find
    > | > it.
    > from my
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Did you try emailing them? They should be able to email it to you
    > but
    > | > will possibly ask for some kind proof of purchase- tell the email
    > | > address you registered your original purchase with.
    > | >

    > | Well, it was a free download. I got the programme with a secondhand
    > 5mx
    > | from eBay - so no original contact with Palmtop. But, as I say, I
    > | d/loaded it fine a couple of years ago.
    > |
    > | [/rant_on]
    > | Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    > | companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is
    > out-of-date?
    > | They could easily put it up with an "unsupported" notice on it.
    > |
    > | The same goes for shareware authors who cease to support their
    > products.
    > | They really should put up "free" codes somewhere, with a note to
    > the
    > | effect that the software is no longer supported. Bah!
    > | [/rant_off]
    > |
    > | Stuart
    >
    > That you don't have/can't find a link does not mean it isn't on the
    > website, or that they don't have it. Ask them.

    Tom Tom support does not exist for Psion/Epoc users.

    Try it for yourself.

  6. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    "nick" wrote in message
    | alan smith wrote:
    | > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    | > news:1114985045.8455.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net.. .
    | > | > |
    | > find
    | > from my
    | > | > |
    | > | > |

    | > but
    | > | >

    | > | Well, it was a free download. I got the programme with a
    secondhand
    | > 5mx
    | > | from eBay - so no original contact with Palmtop. But, as I say,
    | > | d/loaded it fine a couple of years ago.
    | > |
    | > | [/rant_on]
    | > | Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    | > | companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is
    | > out-of-date?
    | > | They could easily put it up with an "unsupported" notice on it.
    | > |
    | > | The same goes for shareware authors who cease to support their
    | > products.
    | > | They really should put up "free" codes somewhere, with a note
    | > the
    | > | effect that the software is no longer supported. Bah!
    | > | [/rant_off]
    | > |
    | > | Stuart
    | >
    | > That you don't have/can't find a link does not mean it isn't on the
    | > website, or that they don't have it. Ask them.
    | >

    | Tom Tom support does not exist for Psion/Epoc users.
    |
    | Try it for yourself.

    You can't try general help or other ones? I don't think they will
    charge you for trying. But that's your choice- you may get nowhere, but
    you will not know if you don't try. Your choice,

  7. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    On Monday, in article
    srtgrayNOT@clara.co.uk "Stuart Gray" wrote:

    > Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    > companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is out-of-date?
    > They could easily put it up with an "unsupported" notice on it.

    Because they are actively suppressing obsolete products? Because no
    matter the cost of storage, the more complex the site, the higher the
    cost in management and maintenance in man-hours. Trimming the dead
    wood makes for lower maintenance costs. If you want to make sure that
    things remain available for your use, archive copies for yourself. After
    all, storage is cheap, isn't it? If you can't be bothered providing for
    your own future needs, why should anyone else?

    > The same goes for shareware authors who cease to support their products.
    > They really should put up "free" codes somewhere, with a note to the
    > effect that the software is no longer supported. Bah!

    Not that old BS again.

    That argument is the very reason why I've never released a utility I wrote
    to create Citymap/Route Map overlays on a Linux platform. When I chose to
    withdraw it from circulation I don't want people griping about it. It's
    mine to withdraw. Easier just to keep it to myself in the first place.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  8. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    alan smith wrote:
    > "nick" wrote in message
    > | alan smith wrote:
    > | > "Stuart Gray" wrote in message
    > | > news:1114985045.8455.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net.. .
    > | > | > |
    > be an
    > | > find
    > | > from my
    > | > | > |
    > | > | > |

    > you
    > | > but
    > email

    > secondhand
    > | > 5mx
    > | > |
    > | > out-of-date?
    > | > |
    > | > products.
    > | > the
    > | > |

    > | > That you don't have/can't find a link does not mean it isn't on the
    > | > website, or that they don't have it. Ask them.
    > | >

    > | Tom Tom support does not exist for Psion/Epoc users.
    > |
    > | Try it for yourself.
    >
    > You can't try general help or other ones? I don't think they will
    > charge you for trying. But that's your choice- you may get nowhere, but
    > you will not know if you don't try. Your choice,

    I did try - I'm not the sort of guy who leaps for the newgroups without
    looking first !

    Stuart

  9. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    Stuart Gray opined
    >Raj Rijhwani wrote:
    >> On Monday, in article
    >> <1114985045.8455.0@sabbath.news.uk.clara.net>
    >> srtgrayNOT@clara.co.uk "Stuart Gray" wrote:
    >>
    >>>Given the nature of the web and the cheapness of storage, why do
    >>>companies have to remove useful stuff, simply because it is
    >>>out-of-date? They could easily put it up with an "unsupported"
    >>>notice on it.

    >> Because they are actively suppressing obsolete products? Because
    >>no matter the cost of storage, the more complex the site, the higher
    >>the cost in management and maintenance in man-hours. Trimming the
    >>dead wood makes for lower maintenance costs. If you want to make
    >>sure that things remain available for your use, archive copies for
    >>yourself. After all, storage is cheap, isn't it? If you can't be
    >>bothered providing for your own future needs, why should anyone else?

    >Well, my workplace network administrator has forgotten that a "backup"
    >strategy should include some method of restoring the files

    You started this thread with:-
    "I need to reload my Citymaps application, and there used to be an
    updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find it.
    Does anyone have it and could email it to me? "

    What happened to your own Citymaps application that you originally
    loaded? did that go the way of your workplace administrator? Given the
    cheapness of storage, where is your back up?

    It seems to me a bit rich to complain that people don't make data
    available on the web, when you haven't made your own data available to
    yourself!

    Just a thought.

    Mike
    --
    Michael J Davis

    <>{
    Free advice is often worth
    less than you paid for it.
    <>{

  10. Re: Citymaps setup programme anyone?

    On Monday, in article

    miked@trustsof.demon.co.uk "Michael J Davis" wrote:

    > You started this thread with:-
    > "I need to reload my Citymaps application, and there used to be an
    > updated setup.exe on the tomtom website - but I can no longer find it.
    > Does anyone have it and could email it to me? "

    > What happened to your own Citymaps application that you originally
    > loaded? did that go the way of your workplace administrator? Given the
    > cheapness of storage, where is your back up?

    I had the same problem. Indeed, as one of the earliest purchasers of that
    version of Citymaps, buying it direct from TomTom, I may be one of the
    reasons they distributed an updated setup.exe (because they e-mailed it to
    me once it was completed, and I had to wait for over a week). The
    original, on the CD, was dependent on a particular version of IE being
    installed, which provided a particular module in one of the DLLs that isn't
    available in other versions. So if, like me, you expunged all traces of
    IE, it fell over ungracefully with a huge error. The replacement setup.exe
    was not dependent on IE at all, and was made available through the web
    site.

    > It seems to me a bit rich to complain that people don't make data
    > available on the web, when you haven't made your own data available to
    > yourself!

    It does seem a tad strange, having downloaded it once, not to have kept a
    copy for eventualities.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen
    http://www.rijhwani.org/raj/ | "Lieutenant Green: Launch all Angels!"
    Permission to distribute this article as website content is expressly denied.

+ Reply to Thread