Need General Information About PDAs - Scion

This is a discussion on Need General Information About PDAs - Scion ; I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including recommendations on specific makes and models? -Jonathan...

  1. Need General Information About PDAs

    I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    recommendations on specific makes and models?

    -Jonathan

  2. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    "Jonathan" wrote in message
    news:3b6cfe2e.0504211118.44d77db4@posting.google.c om...
    | I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    | sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    | recommendations on specific makes and models?
    |
    | -Jonathan

    You've given nothing about the important thing- first point below.

    First- Work out what you want the machine to do.

    Second - Web search.

    Third - review your requirements in light of your research.

    Fourth - look again and decide.

    Work out whether you want/need a colour screen, battery life,
    accessories, email, touch screen, memory, internet access, what
    programs you want to use- diary, spreadsheet etc and sophistication of
    program etc etc etc. Any accessories or features needed (bluetooth,
    memory cards, internet access).

    Perhaps with some idea of this you may get some meaningful advice,
    otherwise it is guesswork.

  3. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    alan smith wrote:
    > "Jonathan" wrote in message
    > news:3b6cfe2e.0504211118.44d77db4@posting.google.c om...
    > | I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    > | sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    > | recommendations on specific makes and models?
    > |
    > | -Jonathan
    >
    > You've given nothing about the important thing- first point below.
    >
    > First- Work out what you want the machine to do.
    >
    > Second - Web search.
    >
    > Third - review your requirements in light of your research.
    >
    > Fourth - look again and decide.
    >
    > Work out whether you want/need a colour screen, battery life,
    > accessories, email, touch screen, memory, internet access, what
    > programs you want to use- diary, spreadsheet etc and sophistication of
    > program etc etc etc. Any accessories or features needed (bluetooth,
    > memory cards, internet access).
    >
    > Perhaps with some idea of this you may get some meaningful advice,
    > otherwise it is guesswork.

    Keyboard?

  4. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    "nick" wrote in message
    | alan smith wrote:
    | > "Jonathan" wrote in message
    | > news:3b6cfe2e.0504211118.44d77db4@posting.google.c om...
    | > | I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    | > | sites will give me everything I need to know about them,
    including
    | > | recommendations on specific makes and models?
    | > |
    | > | -Jonathan
    | >
    | > You've given nothing about the important thing- first point below.
    | >
    | > First- Work out what you want the machine to do.
    | >
    | > Second - Web search.
    | >
    | > Third - review your requirements in light of your research.
    | >
    | > Fourth - look again and decide.
    | >
    | > Work out whether you want/need a colour screen, battery life,
    | > accessories, email, touch screen, memory, internet access, what
    | > programs you want to use- diary, spreadsheet etc and sophistication
    of
    | > program etc etc etc. Any accessories or features needed (bluetooth,
    | > memory cards, internet access).
    | >
    | > Perhaps with some idea of this you may get some meaningful advice,
    | > otherwise it is guesswork.
    | >

    | Keyboard?

    Yes, but I didn't try to give a definitive list, there are too many
    possibilities. Perhaps a basic organiser is all that is wanted? In
    which case it's not worth going into bluetooth, etc etc ....

  5. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    alan smith wrote:
    > "nick" wrote in message
    > | alan smith wrote:
    > | > "Jonathan" wrote in message
    > | > news:3b6cfe2e.0504211118.44d77db4@posting.google.c om...
    > including
    > | > |

    > | > You've given nothing about the important thing- first point below.
    > | >
    > | > First- Work out what you want the machine to do.
    > | >
    > | > Second - Web search.
    > | >
    > | > Third - review your requirements in light of your research.
    > | >
    > | > Fourth - look again and decide.
    > | >
    > | > Work out whether you want/need a colour screen, battery life,
    > | > accessories, email, touch screen, memory, internet access, what
    > | > programs you want to use- diary, spreadsheet etc and sophistication
    > of
    > | > program etc etc etc. Any accessories or features needed (bluetooth,
    > | > memory cards, internet access).
    > | >
    > | > Perhaps with some idea of this you may get some meaningful advice,
    > | > otherwise it is guesswork.
    > | >

    > | Keyboard?
    >
    > Yes, but I didn't try to give a definitive list, there are too many
    > possibilities. Perhaps a basic organiser is all that is wanted? In
    > which case it's not worth going into bluetooth, etc etc ....

    However this is a Psion newsgroup....

  6. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    "nick" wrote in message
    | alan smith wrote:
    | > "nick" wrote in message
    | > including
    | > | > |

    | > of

    | > |
    | > | Keyboard?
    | >
    | > Yes, but I didn't try to give a definitive list, there are too many
    | > possibilities. Perhaps a basic organiser is all that is wanted? In
    | > which case it's not worth going into bluetooth, etc etc ....
    | >

    | However this is a Psion newsgroup....

    Yes, you restrict the man to a nearly dead make with few models left.
    It is an open question and deserves an open answer. If you don't like
    me mentioning the possibility of things like Palms, PPC's etc then feel
    free to killfile me, I don't mind. But it is only right to point to
    newer and probably better featured machines. The bottom line is to get
    the machine that suits his needs- that has a very good chance of being
    something other than a Psion now.

  7. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    As stated above this is a Psion newsgroup ! It seems to me that if I go to
    say Anfield and ask what is the best football team, then the answer I am
    given is unlikely to be Manchester United ! It is not surprising therefore
    that Psions, considered outdated by some, are recommended here.
    It may be true that some of the latest functionality like colour screen or
    MP3 players are not present on some Psions. It is my belief however that
    Psion owners are more concerned about function rather than looks as they are
    interested in using their machines to their advantage in day to day settings
    rather than having a predominantly pose value.
    So by all means buy a Psion if you can get one. You will find many people
    who find them incredibly useful and unsurpassed.

    "alan smith" wrote in message

    > "nick" wrote in message
    > | alan smith wrote:
    > | > "nick" wrote in message
    > web
    > | > including
    > | > | > |

    > below.

    > sophistication
    > | > of
    > (bluetooth,

    > advice,
    > | > | >

    > | > |

    > | > Yes, but I didn't try to give a definitive list, there are too many
    > | > possibilities. Perhaps a basic organiser is all that is wanted? In
    > | > which case it's not worth going into bluetooth, etc etc ....
    > | >

    > | However this is a Psion newsgroup....
    >
    > Yes, you restrict the man to a nearly dead make with few models left.
    > It is an open question and deserves an open answer. If you don't like
    > me mentioning the possibility of things like Palms, PPC's etc then feel
    > free to killfile me, I don't mind. But it is only right to point to
    > newer and probably better featured machines. The bottom line is to get
    > the machine that suits his needs- that has a very good chance of being
    > something other than a Psion now.

  8. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    I can read.

    I have Psions, I've had many models of Psion over the years but just
    because someone posts in a Psion newsgroup does not mean that a Psion
    is necessarily the best machine for the poster. I subscribe to other
    machine ng's- I haven't seen his post there.

    By all means defend the Psion, but I haven't attacked it. All I've said
    is look at the wide choice available to see what best suits his needs.
    I think that is sensible even if you don't. There are newer models,
    smaller models, less expensive models available than the underwhelming
    offerings currently made by the Psion range. And that doesn't really
    seem set to change in the near future. If they do increase the range
    then I'd certainly consider them again myself, but there's just not
    that much to consider now.

    "Bert Pollheimer" wrote in message

    | As stated above this is a Psion newsgroup ! It seems to me that if I
    go to
    | say Anfield and ask what is the best football team, then the answer I
    am
    | given is unlikely to be Manchester United ! It is not surprising
    therefore
    | that Psions, considered outdated by some, are recommended here.
    | It may be true that some of the latest functionality like colour
    screen or
    | MP3 players are not present on some Psions. It is my belief however
    that
    | Psion owners are more concerned about function rather than looks as
    they are
    | interested in using their machines to their advantage in day to day
    settings
    | rather than having a predominantly pose value.
    | So by all means buy a Psion if you can get one. You will find many
    people
    | who find them incredibly useful and unsurpassed.
    |

    | "alan smith" wrote in message
    | >
    | > "nick" wrote in message
    | > web
    | > | > | > |

    | > below.

    | > sophistication
    | > (bluetooth,

    | > advice,

    | > | > |

    In

    | > | However this is a Psion newsgroup....
    | >
    | > Yes, you restrict the man to a nearly dead make with few models
    left.
    | > It is an open question and deserves an open answer. If you don't
    like
    | > me mentioning the possibility of things like Palms, PPC's etc then
    feel
    | > free to killfile me, I don't mind. But it is only right to point to
    | > newer and probably better featured machines. The bottom line is to
    get
    | > the machine that suits his needs- that has a very good chance of
    being
    | > something other than a Psion now.

  9. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    >I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    > sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    > recommendations on specific makes and models?

    Ask the question on "comp.sys.handheld". You may not end up with a Psion,
    but there is life after the Psion.

  10. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    Thanks everyone for the lively response to my post.

    The only reason I am looking to buy a PDA right now is because I want
    a handheld device that can run spreadsheets. Once I get into
    researching the latest information on them I might come up with more
    requirements.

    If you care to respond again I'd appreciate if you can give some
    comments on the features mentioned by one of the respondants to my
    post (such as how useful or not useful these fetures are and why).
    These were:

    + colour screen
    + battery life
    + specific accessories
    + email
    + touch screen
    + memory
    + internet access
    + bluetooth,
    + memory cards
    + internet access
    + use with specific programs

    I am not specifically considering buying a Psion. I posted to this
    group simply because I figured the people here would have general
    knowledge about PDA's.

    -Jonathan Klein

    jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message news:<3b6cfe2e.0504211118.44d77db4@posting.google.com>...
    > I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    > sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    > recommendations on specific makes and models?
    >
    > -Jonathan

  11. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    The usefulness (or not) of these features depends on what you do, not
    on what anyone else thinks. You need to judge your own potential for
    using those things- no-one can tell you what you will use.
    Decide what is useful for your needs.

    "Jonathan" wrote in message
    news:3b6cfe2e.0504241049.41185ee2@posting.google.c om...
    | Thanks everyone for the lively response to my post.
    |
    | The only reason I am looking to buy a PDA right now is because I want
    | a handheld device that can run spreadsheets. Once I get into
    | researching the latest information on them I might come up with more
    | requirements.
    |
    | If you care to respond again I'd appreciate if you can give some
    | comments on the features mentioned by one of the respondants to my
    | post (such as how useful or not useful these fetures are and why).
    | These were:
    |
    | + colour screen
    | + battery life
    | + specific accessories
    | + email
    | + touch screen
    | + memory
    | + internet access
    | + bluetooth,
    | + memory cards
    | + internet access
    | + use with specific programs
    |
    | I am not specifically considering buying a Psion. I posted to this
    | group simply because I figured the people here would have general
    | knowledge about PDA's.
    |
    | -Jonathan Klein
    |
    | jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message
    | > I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    | > sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    | > recommendations on specific makes and models?
    | >
    | > -Jonathan

  12. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    Johnathan

    You have asked some specific questions.

    colour screen
    battery life
    specific accessories
    email
    touch screen
    internet access
    Bluetooth,
    memory cards
    internet access
    use with specific programs

    All the above are features offered by the Netbook with the exception of
    Bluetooth. Other PDAs will offer you the above and you will be able to buy
    them new which unfortunately is now not possible with any Psion. You will be
    able to buy a s/h Netbook, or buy a refurbished one from a recommended
    source.
    Many of us have stuck with Netbooks because they provide a realistic option
    for a PDA or information management device. The reasons for this are in my
    opinion to do with both usability and functionality which are not offered in
    the same package in other devices. Inputting for example via a reasonable
    sized keyboard is for me a no compromise option. There are also now many
    programmes which are shareware or freeware on this platform.
    Ultimately you have to juggle and prioritize what is most important for you
    and I hope the views and opinions offered in this thread will help you in
    this decision. There are many other links which will give you more
    information along these lines such as;

    http://www.epocfaq.co.uk/
    http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc/psion7.htm
    http://www.anglia.ac.uk/music/rhoadl...inks_epoc.html

    I am not offering you a completely independent view and it is difficult to
    know quite where you would get this. You have posted your question in a
    Psion newsgroup and have to make your own judgement about the value of
    opinions given in this context. You may want to post the same question
    elsewhere for balance. Please remember however that Psion has not been in
    the new handheld market now for some years and despite this the likes of
    myself are using and recommending their machines for no reason other than
    enthusiasm based on our own experiences ! This may be hard to identify
    elsewhere !

    I hope you find the right machine for you and good luck.

    Bert

    "alan smith" wrote in message
    > The usefulness (or not) of these features depends on what you do, not
    > on what anyone else thinks. You need to judge your own potential for
    > using those things- no-one can tell you what you will use.
    > Decide what is useful for your needs.
    >

    > "Jonathan" wrote in message
    > news:3b6cfe2e.0504241049.41185ee2@posting.google.c om...
    > | Thanks everyone for the lively response to my post.
    > |
    > | The only reason I am looking to buy a PDA right now is because I want
    > | a handheld device that can run spreadsheets. Once I get into
    > | researching the latest information on them I might come up with more
    > | requirements.
    > |
    > | If you care to respond again I'd appreciate if you can give some
    > | comments on the features mentioned by one of the respondants to my
    > | post (such as how useful or not useful these fetures are and why).
    > | These were:
    > |
    > | + colour screen
    > | + battery life
    > | + specific accessories
    > | + email
    > | + touch screen
    > | + memory
    > | + internet access
    > | + bluetooth,
    > | + memory cards
    > | + internet access
    > | + use with specific programs
    > |
    > | I am not specifically considering buying a Psion. I posted to this
    > | group simply because I figured the people here would have general
    > | knowledge about PDA's.
    > |
    > | -Jonathan Klein
    > |
    > | jfklein@shaw.ca (Jonathan) wrote in message
    > | > I am in the market to buy a PDA. Can anyone here tell me what web
    > | > sites will give me everything I need to know about them, including
    > | > recommendations on specific makes and models?
    > | >
    > | > -Jonathan

  13. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    You might consider a palm T3 or T5. They have screens which can be put on
    their side, and be connected to large keyboard.

    I would imagine, however, that the spreadsheet program is more sophisticated
    on the psions and symbian devices (look at the nokia 9500), as they were
    designed for more serious use, with the widescreens and in built keyboard.

    The windows CE palms have the advantage of assured compatibility with excel
    (though this shouldn't be a problem with palm or psion), but I've heard ot
    bugs in these machines, which are irritated users and made them much less
    functional.

    Duncan.

> [...]
    >> | researching the latest information on them I might come up with more
    >> | requirements.
    >> |
    >> | If you care to respond again I'd appreciate if you can give some
    >> | comments on the features mentioned by one of the respondants to my
    >> | post (such as how useful or not useful these fetures are and why).
    >> | These were:
    >> |
    >> | + colour screen
    >> | + battery life
    >> | + specific accessories
    >> | + email
    >> | + touch screen
    >> | + memory
    >> | + internet access
    >> | + bluetooth,
    >> | + memory cards
    >> | + internet access
    >> | + use with specific programs
    >> |
    >> | I am not specifically considering buying a Psion. I posted to this
    >> | group simply because I figured the people here would have general

  14. Re: Need General Information About PDAs

    I don't know about the Palm, but the spreadsheet is far better on the
    Psion than the standard ppc one. But Planmaker for the ppc is superb,
    far better than the Psion one and is directly compatible with Excel-
    the only bit missing is VB/macros.

    "Duncan J Murray"

> [...]
    question
    | > elsewhere for balance. Please remember however that Psion has not
    been in
    | > the new handheld market now for some years and despite this the
    likes of
    | > myself are using and recommending their machines for no reason
    other than
    | > enthusiasm based on our own experiences ! This may be hard to
    identify
    | > elsewhere !
    | >
    | > I hope you find the right machine for you and good luck.
    | >
    | > Bert
    | >

    | > "alan smith" wrote in message
    | >> The usefulness (or not) of these features depends on what you do,
    not
    | >> on what anyone else thinks. You need to judge your own potential
    for
    | >> using those things- no-one can tell you what you will use.

    | >> |
    | >> |
    | >> |
    | >> |