Revo Battery Replacement - Scion

This is a discussion on Revo Battery Replacement - Scion ; I bought a boxed Revo complete with cradle, charger, PsiWin CD, manual etc. for 2 at a car boot sale. As expected it displayed the infamous shutoff behaviour at 85% battery level. As I'd spent next to nothing on it, ...

  1. Revo Battery Replacement

    I bought a boxed Revo complete with cradle, charger, PsiWin CD, manual
    etc. for 2 at a car boot sale. As expected it displayed the infamous
    shutoff behaviour at 85% battery level. As I'd spent next to nothing
    on it, I didn't want to spend very much on fixing it, so after a bit
    of internet searching I resolved to have a go at changing the
    batteries. I'd bought 4 new sealed UniRoss 700mAh AAA NiMh's for 3
    at the same sale.

    I checked with my local Maplin Store for tagged NiMh's but they were
    out of stock. Their's are 550 mAh anyway so even if you get them
    they're of lower capacity than the original Toshibas in the Revo. I
    did equip myself with some solder tags, though - small ones with a
    hole which nicely fits over the 'pip' at the +ve end of the UniRoss.
    Opening the Revo was no problem and I didn't have to touch the case
    springs at all. Lift up the silver bit against the springs and there's
    enough clearance to get the old battery pack out and put the new one
    in. One tip - take the 2 little securing pins under the Revo badge
    right out, otherwise they'll fall out. I spent a few minutes crawling
    around on the carpet for one!

    With the old battery pack out it was a matter of slitting the plastic
    covering and removing it completely. I got the old solder tags off the
    batteries by heating them with a soldering iron tip and rolling them
    off with needle point pliers. Rough up the contacts on the new
    batteries a bit with emery or something before trying to solder them -
    it won't take on the bright shiny finish. I soldered one of my new
    tags on to the +ve pip on 1 new battery then resoldered the old red
    wire tag on to that. Aligned the other battery, taped them together in
    close contact (with the thermistor in position) end to end then
    soldered the black wire tag on to the base of the 2nd battery. The
    new 'pack' went into the battery space fine and with the needle nose
    pliers the molex plug is no problem. Contrary to indications on some
    websites, there is ample space in there end to end to allow for the
    battery contact pips and solder blobs so unless you make a real mess
    of the soldering there's plenty of room. The battery circumferences
    are gripped tightly though so go easy on the tape and don't have
    solder protruding outsider the battery end circumferences. The
    batteries are held so tightly that I've no worries about not having
    soldered the 2 batteries together.

    Well, reassembled the Revo and the moment of truth! On charge
    overnight - both lights came on nicely. Next morning the red light
    was off so it was trickle charging. Switched on briefly after 10
    hours - showing 95%. Another couple of hours took it to 100%.
    Since then, I've had it on all day, had it connected via PsiWin for
    syncing and restoring, various backups etc. , set up eMail and Web via
    GPRS with a Nokia 8310 successfully. After nearly 8 hours with that
    intensive use, it's showing a 79% charge and hasn't switched itself
    off at all, so it looks like a successful operation.

    I was a bit loath to tackle this after seeing the dire warnings and
    exaggerations of the difficulty on some websites (and especially from
    the sellers of battery replacement services on eBay!)

    If anyone's reaosnably competent with a soldering iron and has the
    minimum of small tools I'd say have a go. A Revo that has to be
    constantly on the charger defeats the object of portability a bit.

  2. Re: Revo Battery Replacement

    In article , Jupiter wrote:
    > I'd bought 4 new sealed UniRoss 700mAh AAA NiMh's for 3
    > at the same sale.

    Uniross cells are IMHO crap. Throw them away and keep the ripped
    packaging.
    You've been lucky getting your solder tags to hold.
    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  3. Re: Revo Battery Replacement

    "Jupiter" wrote in message

    > I checked with my local Maplin Store for tagged NiMh's but they were
    > out of stock. Their's are 550 mAh anyway so even if you get them
    > they're of lower capacity than the original Toshibas in the Revo.

    I did the same replacement as you, with similar success. As you say, it's
    pretty straightforward, with a bit of care. I did get my tagged batteries
    from Maplin, and they were 700mAh, I'm pretty sure.
    Steve

  4. Re: Revo Battery Replacement

    "Steve W" wrote in message

    | "Jupiter" wrote in message
    |

    | > I checked with my local Maplin Store for tagged NiMh's but they
    were
    | > out of stock. Their's are 550 mAh anyway so even if you get them
    | > they're of lower capacity than the original Toshibas in the Revo.
    |
    | I did the same replacement as you, with similar success. As you say,
    it's
    | pretty straightforward, with a bit of care. I did get my tagged
    batteries
    | from Maplin, and they were 700mAh, I'm pretty sure.
    | Steve

    If they are AAA size they are 700 mAh, I don't have a Revo but just got
    some for something else. Code VN23A. air there were no smaller capacity
    NiMH.

+ Reply to Thread