Is 9300 the new psion? - Scion

This is a discussion on Is 9300 the new psion? - Scion ; Hello all, Nice to see the psion community is still going... I remember in the good old days the 3a-5mx dynastys when this was really thriving! What do people think of the new 9300 from Nokia as being a good ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 56

  1. Is 9300 the new psion?

    Hello all,

    Nice to see the psion community is still going... I remember in the good
    old days the 3a-5mx dynastys when this was really thriving!

    What do people think of the new 9300 from Nokia as being a good replacement
    for the Psion?

    Also, has anyone noticed the really high second-hand price of series 3
    machines?! I thought I would (after a 1/2 year stint without a psion) look
    for a really cheap 3 series on ebay - Ridiculous! Spending 50 on an
    organiser that can barely communicate with a new laptop, only for the screen
    to go in 2 years?! Maybe I'm missing something...

    Duncan.

  2. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    _ Touch screen?

    _ WCDMA (Wideband Code-Division Multiple Access)?

    _ UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephone System)?

    _ Bluetooth + Wifi ?

    _ (Linux minus Qtopia) + Symbian?

    => Still waiting

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  3. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    > What do people think of the new 9300 from Nokia as being a good replacement
    > for the Psion?

    As I said in a separate thread :
    From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...a_9300_review/ , the
    reviewer, an erstwhile Psioneer, tells us : [SNIP]

    As a Psion user with a Nokia phone that is ... ailing (one more soaking
    and it's a DMMF, I fear) ... well, an interesting review.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  4. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Aidan Karley wrote:

    > In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >> What do people think of the new 9300 from Nokia as being a good
    >> replacement for the Psion?
    >>

    > As I said in a separate thread :
    > From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...a_9300_review/ ,
    > the
    > reviewer, an erstwhile Psioneer, tells us : [SNIP]
    >
    > As a Psion user with a Nokia phone that is ... ailing (one more
    > soaking
    > and it's a DMMF, I fear) ... well, an interesting review.

    This review is amazing. At last, someone who tells the true about those
    device.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  5. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    "AM Christophe" wrote in message

    > _ Touch screen?
    >
    > _ WCDMA (Wideband Code-Division Multiple Access)?
    >
    > _ UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephone System)?
    >
    > _ Bluetooth + Wifi ?
    >
    > _ (Linux minus Qtopia) + Symbian?
    >

    > => Still waiting

    What psion did _you_ use?!

    Psion isn't about touch screen, touch typing, clever opening mechanism etc.
    etc. It was about being the most flexible and efficient organiser there
    was.

    Duncan.

  6. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    "Aidan Karley"
    wrote in message
    news:VA.00000687.2128556a@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >> What do people think of the new 9300 from Nokia as being a good
    >> replacement
    >> for the Psion?
    >>

    > As I said in a separate thread :
    > From http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/03...a_9300_review/ ,
    > the
    > reviewer, an erstwhile Psioneer, tells us : [SNIP]
    >
    > As a Psion user with a Nokia phone that is ... ailing (one more
    > soaking
    > and it's a DMMF, I fear) ... well, an interesting review.
    >
    > --
    > Aidan Karley,
    > Aberdeen, Scotland,
    > Location: 5710' N, 0209' W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    > Written at Sat, 16 Apr 2005 09:38 +0100

    The review is interesting, but doesn't focus on the important points for me.
    He seems to concentrate all his attention on the communicator not having
    superflous gimmicks that some psions had - I'm talking about touchtyping,
    looking modern, use of space, alpha-blended pen diaplay, sliding hinges,
    backlit keyboard and touchscreen. This person is nostalgic! If he was
    truly looking for a tool to use every day, these are all pretty unimportant
    factors. You can touch type on a series 5, but you can't hold it in your
    hands and type with your thumbs. The series 3 vice versa. The series 5 had
    touch-screen, but was poorly implemented, requiring a mixture of typing and
    touching to achieve what could be done quicker just using the keyboard on a
    series 3.

    Instead, I would be looking at being able to type (at a reasonable pace -
    series 3 style) and enter appointments while standing, and the Agenda
    program being as flexible as the original on the series 3 or 5. He doesn't
    go into, what is for me, the most important aspect of a Psion Organiser.

    I've tried looking for replacements, but there simply are not any
    replacements for a device which has : keyboard, proper agenda program, and
    is reasonably slim.

    Duncan.

  7. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Duncan J Murray wrote:

    > "AM Christophe" wrote in message
    >>
    >> _ Touch screen?
    >>
    >> _ WCDMA (Wideband Code-Division Multiple Access)?
    >>
    >> _ UMTS (Universal Mobile Telephone System)?
    >>
    >> _ Bluetooth + Wifi ?
    >>
    >> _ (Linux minus Qtopia) + Symbian?
    >>

    >> => Still waiting

    > What psion did _you_ use?!
    >
    > Psion isn't about touch screen, touch typing, clever opening mechanism
    > etc.
    > etc. It was about being the most flexible and efficient organiser there
    > was.
    >
    > Duncan.

    I had all off them in my hand. From the very rare Psion organizer one to the
    Psion netBook & netPad. Even a few Psion prototypes.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  8. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Most command can be done with keyboard on Psion Epoc device. Only tasks
    switching (without closing the running application) needs the touchscreen.
    Toolbar icones selection also need the touchscreen but all commands are
    into the menu with keyboard shortcut.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  9. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    I had a program which simulated alt-tab on the 5mx, but there were times
    when I still had to use the touch screen, and I think it was for things like
    adding memos to entries.

    Duncan.

    > Most command can be done with keyboard on Psion Epoc device. Only tasks
    > switching (without closing the running application) needs the touchscreen.
    > Toolbar icones selection also need the touchscreen but all commands are
    > into the menu with keyboard shortcut.
    >
    > --
    > ,,,
    > (._.)
    > /|\+\\
    > \|/ @u(==-

  10. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Control+Maj+M on French device. Should be the Edit/Edit Objet/Text menu
    option on english one.

    Duncan J Murray wrote:

    > I had a program which simulated alt-tab on the 5mx, but there were times
    > when I still had to use the touch screen, and I think it was for things
    > like adding memos to entries.
    >
    > Duncan.
    >
    > "AM Christophe" wrote in message
    >>
    >> Most command can be done with keyboard on Psion Epoc device. Only tasks
    >> switching (without closing the running application) needs the
    >> touchscreen. Toolbar icones selection also need the touchscreen but all
    >> commands are into the menu with keyboard shortcut.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)
    /|\+\\
    \|/ @u(==-

  11. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Exactly - impossible to type while the unit is in your hands!

    Duncan.

    > Control+Maj+M on French device. Should be the Edit/Edit Objet/Text menu
    > option on english one.
    >

    > Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >
    >> I had a program which simulated alt-tab on the 5mx, but there were times
    >> when I still had to use the touch screen, and I think it was for things
    >> like adding memos to entries.
    >>
    >> Duncan.
    >>
    >> "AM Christophe" wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Most command can be done with keyboard on Psion Epoc device. Only tasks
    >>> switching (without closing the running application) needs the
    >>> touchscreen. Toolbar icones selection also need the touchscreen but all
    >>> commands are into the menu with keyboard shortcut.

    > --
    > ,,,
    > (._.)
    > /|\+\\
    > \|/ @u(==-

  12. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    > Psion isn't about touch screen, touch typing, clever opening mechanism etc.
    > etc. It was about being the most flexible and efficient organiser there
    > was.

    Strange to say, I agree with both posters.
    The keyboard/ screen/ touch screen/ robustness/ processor/ storage/
    battery life of the Psion [5/ 5mx] are all not quite the absolute leaders of
    the pack, but as an ensemble ... I need a backup Psion in a nitrogen-filled
    bag in my freezer.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710' N, 0209' W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:43 +0100

  13. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    In article , AM Christophe wrote:
    > Only tasks
    > switching (without closing the running application) needs the touchscreen.

    As I'm sure someone else has said already, try Macro5 (I'm sure I
    could find a website if you can't). Switch between operating tasks with
    Ctrl-Space (or re-defined key). Works. Film at 11.

    *What* is your octopus dragging?

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710' N, 0209' W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:47 +0100

  14. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    > He seems to concentrate all his attention on the communicator not having
    > superflous gimmicks that some psions had - I'm talking about touchtyping,
    > looking modern, use of space, alpha-blended pen diaplay, sliding hinges,
    > backlit keyboard and touchscreen. This person is nostalgic! If he was
    > truly looking for a tool to use every day, these are all pretty unimportant
    > factors.

    Many of these factors are inter-related. [interruption, several pints
    of 0.5% ethanol-water + impurities] touch typing and the sliding hinges ...
    use of space ... backlit keyboard is something I've wanted for ages.
    Of the characteristics mentioned, I see the non-backlit keyboard as the
    biggest issue. All the rest are under control.

    I love my Psion, and I have not seen a realistic competitor.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710' N, 0209' W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233
    Written at Sun, 17 Apr 2005 01:51 +0100

  15. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Aidan Karley wrote:

    > In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >..
    > I love my Psion, and I have not seen a realistic competitor.

    Same feeling here.

    Most competitors have better hardware and more fonctionalities but their
    software UI and feature are not enough polished. Psion engineers took a lot
    of time to polish the Epoc UI (Series 5, 5mx, Revo, netBook, ...), but even
    with all this work they missed a few good Series 3 ideas.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  16. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    Aidan Karley wrote:

    > In article , AM Christophe
    > wrote:
    >> Only tasks
    >> switching (without closing the running application) needs the
    >> touchscreen.
    >>

    > As I'm sure someone else has said already, try Macro5 (I'm sure I
    > could find a website if you can't). Switch between operating tasks with
    > Ctrl-Space (or re-defined key). Works. Film at 11.

    Yes of course. There are dedicated feewares for this. Task switching just
    does'nt work out of the box.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  17. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    The PDA market is not dead... but the lack of good software solution out of
    the box is killing it since many years now. I'm not talking about things
    like Agendafusion or TomTom but about software out of the box.

    People feed up to see the same crap reserved each years with just new
    colours. Those "upgrades" are just big lies! Let see : imagine a PDA with
    your PC hardware power... would you like to buy it if it was still running
    PocketPC, PalmOS, Qtopia or Symbian? Well, if you are a gamer, than yes.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  18. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    "Aidan Karley"
    wrote in message
    news:VA.00000691.25244467@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >> He seems to concentrate all his attention on the communicator not having
    >> superflous gimmicks that some psions had - I'm talking about touchtyping,
    >> looking modern, use of space, alpha-blended pen diaplay, sliding hinges,
    >> backlit keyboard and touchscreen. This person is nostalgic! If he was
    >> truly looking for a tool to use every day, these are all pretty
    >> unimportant
    >> factors.
    >>

    > Many of these factors are inter-related. [interruption, several
    > pints
    > of 0.5% ethanol-water + impurities] touch typing and the sliding hinges
    > use of space ... backlit keyboard is something I've wanted for ages.
    > Of the characteristics mentioned, I see the non-backlit keyboard as
    > the
    > biggest issue. All the rest are under control.
    >
    > I love my Psion, and I have not seen a realistic competitor.

    Well, what about the Nokia 9300? Why does can this not replace your psion?
    It has a backlit screen and maybe even has a backlit keyboard (but
    seriously, do you do all your work at night? How about just turning the
    light on?!)

    Duncan.

  19. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    > I had all off them in my hand. From the very rare Psion organizer one to
    > the
    > Psion netBook & netPad. Even a few Psion prototypes.

    You must have big hands - and you know what they say about big hands...
    probably big feet too?

    Duncan.

  20. Re: Is 9300 the new psion?

    "Aidan Karley"
    wrote in message
    news:VA.0000068f.247ace91@validemailaddresstoa.new s.group...
    > In article , Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >> Psion isn't about touch screen, touch typing, clever opening mechanism
    >> etc.
    >> etc. It was about being the most flexible and efficient organiser there
    >> was.
    >>

    > Strange to say, I agree with both posters.
    > The keyboard/ screen/ touch screen/ robustness/ processor/ storage/
    > battery life of the Psion [5/ 5mx] are all not quite the absolute leaders
    > of
    > the pack, but as an ensemble ... I need a backup Psion in a
    > nitrogen-filled
    > bag in my freezer.

    It's funny, but there's a paradox here.

    I would say the most useful psion, in terms of pure organising power, is the
    series 3. If they re-released a series 3, I think I would get one. I've
    seriously considered repairing my series 3a, except that it is completely
    incompatible with my laptop. Nothing compares to the series 3 for a
    replacement for a pocket diary, in that you can hold it while typing,
    doesn't require ridiculous shortcuts to do things, and it's got a clear
    screen (clearer than the 5 series), and of course, the most excellent agenda
    program.

    But at the time, the psion 3a was the absolute bleeding edge of technology -
    2mb, 2 drives, multitasking, digital audio - it was better than our home
    computer! And funny enough, it wasn't any of these 'gimmicks' that makes
    the psion as useful as it is - I could live without all of the above. But
    it was what made it a success, and might explain why the series 5, despite
    being technologically better, was much less of a success.

    But what about this new Nokia?

    Duncan.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast