Psion Netbook Pro - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion Netbook Pro - Scion ; If any intelligent people still read this site - besides the stupid pathetic spammers of course, I would like to ask a Psion Related question. I have a Psion Netbook that will soon need upgrading. If I go for a ...

  1. Psion Netbook Pro

    If any intelligent people still read this site - besides the stupid
    pathetic spammers of course, I would like to ask a Psion Related
    question.

    I have a Psion Netbook that will soon need upgrading.

    If I go for a Netbook Pro running Windows CE (OK OK I know it is really
    a downgrade) will the operating system and applications I was using
    before closing down, still appear lightning fast when I turn the
    machine on?

    I mean, waiting three weeks for the bloody thing to load would be a
    reak PITA.

    Andrew Taylor
    London UK

  2. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    Must apologise... there are scammpers here but not as many as the site
    I had just looked at (also a Psion Site) and my memory played tricks
    and I thought I was adding a message there.

    :-(

    Andrew

  3. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    schreef in bericht
    news:1112372136.330758.239940@f14g2000cwb.googlegr oups.com...
    > If any intelligent people still read this site - besides the stupid
    > pathetic spammers of course, I would like to ask a Psion Related
    > question.
    >
    > I have a Psion Netbook that will soon need upgrading.
    >
    > If I go for a Netbook Pro running Windows CE (OK OK I know it is really
    > a downgrade) will the operating system and applications I was using
    > before closing down, still appear lightning fast when I turn the
    > machine on?
    >
    > I mean, waiting three weeks for the bloody thing to load would be a
    > reak PITA.
    >
    > Andrew Taylor
    > London UK

    The netBook Pro is instant-on (just like a Psion) and quite fast (just like
    a Psion, but the Pro needs a fast processor to obtain this speed) and it
    crashes (also lightning fast - just like a Window$ PC).
    And when it crashes you can have data losses.

    Really an interesting combination between the two OS's we know...

  4. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    Thanks for the information

    And thanks for the humour, it brought a smile to my face!

    So my decision has to be, do I downgrade my old Netbook at a brand new
    Netbook Pro!!!

    Andrew Taylor

  5. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > Good to read your netBook is already 5 years old. So it seems to be really
    > more sturdy than a 5mx !

    Different screen cable :-)
    It may be 6 years old, lost count! Was an early-ish S7, ROM module changed
    to use netBook OS.
    It's survived a 1m drop onto concrete once as well. The stylus popped out,
    but no functional damage (the leather may of absorbed the shock?)

  6. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > My favourite website for Psion goodies remains www.pulster.de . The
    > site is in German, the guy speaks English.

    Thanks. I am sorry for the missing translation of the items description.
    I ship to any destination for a flat 14,90 EUR postage.

    Can someone help me with a working link to an online translation
    service, which translates http://www.pulster.de ?
    (google does not work)

    I have insider news, that Psion is working on a Linux edition of the PRO
    with double RAM. It exists already a beta-distribution.

    Chris

  7. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    Christoph Pulster wrote:
    >>My favourite website for Psion goodies remains www.pulster.de . The
    >>site is in German, the guy speaks English.

    > Thanks. I am sorry for the missing translation of the items description.
    > I ship to any destination for a flat 14,90 EUR postage.
    >
    > Can someone help me with a working link to an online translation
    > service, which translates http://www.pulster.de ?
    > (google does not work)
    >

    > I have insider news, that Psion is working on a Linux edition of the PRO
    > with double RAM. It exists already a beta-distribution.
    >
    > Chris

    That would be very very useful....please does anyone know any more about
    this. The main problem so far with netbooks (and Linux) is poor support
    for wireless network cards.

  8. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    On 2005-04-05, nick wrote:
    > Christoph Pulster wrote:
    >
    >> I have insider news, that Psion is working on a Linux edition of the PRO
    >> with double RAM. It exists already a beta-distribution.

    Interesting. *Very* interesting. It certainly adds weight to:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...tem=5180675451

    Have you any more information?

    > That would be very very useful....please does anyone know any more about
    > this. The main problem so far with netbooks (and Linux) is poor support
    > for wireless network cards.

    I found that running Linux on my netBook (well, Series 7 and then 7Book)
    was the easiest way to get wireless working - a Netgear MA401 worked
    perfectly in Linux, but not at all in EPOC. I eventually bought a
    Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP for EPOC, but have several MA401s sitting in a
    drawer unused.

    Cheers,

    Andrew

    --
    Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org | http://www.bleb.org/

  9. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > The main problem so far with netbooks (and Linux) is poor support for
    > wireless network cards.

    Just disable WEP encoding and use the appropriate WLAN card.
    I suggest the CISCO Aironet 340. Plug & surf, it works.

    The major problem of the netbook Classic is the resolution and sharpness
    of the display. The PRO is a real NET-book (mobile internet browsing
    unit).

    Chris

  10. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    "Christoph Pulster" schreef in bericht
    > > My favourite website for Psion goodies remains www.pulster.de . The
    > > site is in German, the guy speaks English.

    > Thanks. I am sorry for the missing translation of the items description.
    > I ship to any destination for a flat 14,90 EUR postage.
    >
    > Can someone help me with a working link to an online translation
    > service, which translates http://www.pulster.de ?
    > (google does not work)

    What's wrong with it ? It seems to work quite nicely if I press on your
    British flag.
    Some weird translations, but I doubt it will get any better with any other
    service... this is the best it gets.

  11. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > > The main problem so far with netbooks (and Linux) is poor support for
    > > wireless network cards.

    > Just disable WEP encoding and use the appropriate WLAN card.
    > I suggest the CISCO Aironet 340. Plug & surf, it works.

    Indeed, but it is a bit worrying that the netBook does not support WEP with
    it. I switched it for an Orinoco with which the netBook can use WEP. The
    stylus is blocked, but I can surf encrypted now.
    (And the Cisco works splendidly in my laptop where it even supports WEP)

    > The major problem of the netbook Classic is the resolution and sharpness
    > of the display. The PRO is a real NET-book (mobile internet browsing
    > unit).
    >
    > Chris

    I am also interested in your webbook. Seems to be quite the same as a
    netBook Pro, only a bit smaller, but also half the price. Very nice. I like
    the idea of a QWERTY keyboard. Never got used to QWERTZ.
    (The webbook is in German, by the way)

    For both CE.net machines there should be more freeware, just like in the
    good old Psion days.

  12. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    Christoph Pulster wrote:

    > Can someone help me with a working link to an online translation
    > service, which translates http://www.pulster.de ?
    > (google does not work)

    >I have insider news, that Psion is working on a Linux edition of the
    >PRO
    >with double RAM. It exists already a beta-distribution.

    >Chris

    Re:
    http://translation.lycos.com/lycos
    or a right clic in Opera

    Any link on this new "linPro"

  13. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > I am also interested in your webbook. Seems to be quite the same as a
    > netBook Pro

    Honestly, among Psion-affictionados: forget the Webbook. The building
    quality is poor. Compared with a EPOC unit it's a piece of crap.

    Christoph

  14. Re: Psion Netbook Pro

    > > I am also interested in your webbook. Seems to be quite the same as a
    > > netBook Pro

    > Honestly, among Psion-affictionados: forget the Webbook. The building
    > quality is poor. Compared with a EPOC unit it's a piece of crap.
    >
    > Christoph

    :-)

    OK, so my investment in a 2nd-hand 7 - to become a 7mBook if my mBook
    fails - was wise after all...

+ Reply to Thread