Is it going to Handheld Heaven? - Scion

This is a discussion on Is it going to Handheld Heaven? - Scion ; Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but over the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder to read and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of ...

  1. Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but over
    the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder to read
    and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of the line?
    Should I have it put to pasture or should I cough up 120 quid to get a
    new LCD? Maybe it's something more simple, any ideas?
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  2. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    In article ,
    alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk says...

    > >Would the death of the LCD be common of machines of this age?

    > I don't think you can really tell from the experience of just one
    > person (me). You need a larger sample, or someone who deals with lots
    > of machines. Pinnock again?

    I've certainly seen the LCD fade like this in cameras in the past but
    I'll make a couple of phone calls and see what happens.
    Thanks again Alan.
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  3. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    In article ,
    Craig Oldfield wrote:
    >Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but over
    >the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder to read
    >and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of the line?
    >Should I have it put to pasture or should I cough up 120 quid to get a
    >new LCD? Maybe it's something more simple, any ideas?

    Just a thought (and this may already have been covered) - but have
    you tried adjusting the display contrast?

    Mark

  4. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    In article <282@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk>, M.C.Wheadon@ukc.ac.uk says...

    > Just a thought (and this may already have been covered) - but have
    > you tried adjusting the display contrast?

    AAAAAAAAGH!!!
    A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Problem solved. Why on Earth
    did I think the worse without even trying that? It's akin to stripping
    down the PC only to find the mouse is unplugged. I hang my head in
    shame. Thanks Mark, now I'm off to stick pins in myself until I get some
    common sense
    Seriously, why do we forget the simple solutions first? Or is it just
    me?
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  5. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    "Craig Oldfield" wrote in message
    > In article <282@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk>, M.C.Wheadon@ukc.ac.uk says...
    >
    > > Just a thought (and this may already have been covered) - but have
    > > you tried adjusting the display contrast?

    > AAAAAAAAGH!!!
    > A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Problem solved. Why on Earth
    > did I think the worse without even trying that? It's akin to stripping
    > down the PC only to find the mouse is unplugged. I hang my head in
    > shame. Thanks Mark, now I'm off to stick pins in myself until I get some
    > common sense
    > Seriously, why do we forget the simple solutions first? Or is it just
    > me?
    > --
    > Craig Oldfield

    Is the 3mx like the Revo, in that temperature has quite an affect on
    contrast? I ride a scooter to work, and I find that when I arrive in the
    office on an icey cold day, I have to turn the contrast up, only to have to
    turn it down later once the machine has warmed up.

  6. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    Craig Oldfield wrote:
    > In article <282@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk>, M.C.Wheadon@ukc.ac.uk says...
    >
    >> Just a thought (and this may already have been covered) - but have
    >> you tried adjusting the display contrast?

    > AAAAAAAAGH!!!
    > A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Problem solved. Why on Earth
    > did I think the worse without even trying that? It's akin to stripping
    > down the PC only to find the mouse is unplugged. I hang my head in
    > shame. Thanks Mark, now I'm off to stick pins in myself until I get
    > some common sense
    > Seriously, why do we forget the simple solutions first? Or is it just
    > me?

    :-) Been there, done that! And some things that were immeasurable worse
    over the years.

    The "Reverse Polarity" test (and its corrollaries) was invented for just
    this type of error and I believ the "Dilbert Principle" deals extensively
    with this common attribute of human behaviour.

    Dr. Dweeb

  7. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    "Craig Oldfield" wrote in message
    | In article <282@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk>, M.C.Wheadon@ukc.ac.uk says...
    |
    | > Just a thought (and this may already have been covered) - but have
    | > you tried adjusting the display contrast?
    |
    | AAAAAAAAGH!!!
    | A little knowledge is a dangerous thing! Problem solved. Why on Earth
    | did I think the worse without even trying that? It's akin to
    stripping
    | down the PC only to find the mouse is unplugged. I hang my head in
    | shame. Thanks Mark, now I'm off to stick pins in myself until I get
    some
    | common sense
    | Seriously, why do we forget the simple solutions first? Or is it just
    | me?
    | --
    | Craig Oldfield

    I think we've all been down similar lines. I'm pleased you have a
    solution that is at a realistic price for your machine!

  8. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    In article , Craig Oldfield
    wrote:
    > It's akin to stripping
    > down the PC only to find the mouse is unplugged.

    Rebuild the Pc (with mouse connected) and you'll find that the
    power supply burns out the mobo as you're unplugging the mouse from the
    keyboard socket.
    (It was a PS2 mobo, wasn't it?)

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  9. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    In article ,
    alan@REMOVEmral.fsnet.co.uk says...

    > | Seriously, why do we forget the simple solutions first? Or is it just
    > | me?
    > I think we've all been down similar lines. I'm pleased you have a
    > solution that is at a realistic price for your machine!

    Best price of all, Alan. Thanks anyway for the earlier advice, I've kept
    a note of the companies you mentioned, just in case.
    --
    Craig Oldfield

  10. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    > Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but over
    > the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder to read
    > and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of the line?
    > Should I have it put to pasture or should I cough up 120 quid to get a
    > new LCD? Maybe it's something more simple, any ideas?
    > --
    > Craig Oldfield

    When they go, they don't actually fade. First lines appear, then whole
    chunks of the screen go, and eventually it all disappears. In my
    experience, they do this after 1-2 years of hard use.

    Duncan.

  11. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    Duncan J Murray wrote:
    > "Craig Oldfield" wrote in message
    >> Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but
    >> over the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder
    >> to read and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of
    >> the line? Should I have it put to pasture or should I cough up 120
    >> quid to get a new LCD? Maybe it's something more simple, any ideas?
    >> --
    >> Craig Oldfield

    > When they go, they don't actually fade. First lines appear, then
    > whole chunks of the screen go, and eventually it all disappears. In
    > my experience, they do this after 1-2 years of hard use.
    >
    > Duncan.

    Mine's older than that (I got it 2nd-hand) and is on virtually all the time
    (except for travelling between power supplies at home and work). No screen
    problems. Please check that you have not accidentally turned down the
    contrast. It can vary with temperature, too.

    Mike (Psion freeware via http://www.mjcoon.connectfree.co.uk/).
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  12. Re: Is it going to Handheld Heaven?

    "Mike Coon" wrote in message
    > Duncan J Murray wrote:
    >> "Craig Oldfield" wrote in message
    >>> Still got the trusty 3mx which gets used despite having a PPC but
    >>> over the last few days I've noticed that the LCD is getting harder
    >>> to read and seems to have faded. Has the beast reached the end of
    >>> the line? Should I have it put to pasture or should I cough up 120
    >>> quid to get a new LCD? Maybe it's something more simple, any ideas?
    >>> --
    >>> Craig Oldfield

    >> When they go, they don't actually fade. First lines appear, then
    >> whole chunks of the screen go, and eventually it all disappears. In
    >> my experience, they do this after 1-2 years of hard use.
    >>
    >> Duncan.

    > Mine's older than that (I got it 2nd-hand) and is on virtually all the
    > time (except for travelling between power supplies at home and work). No
    > screen problems. Please check that you have not accidentally turned down
    > the contrast. It can vary with temperature, too.

    No, but thanks anyway. My 3a and 5mx both suffered a lot of
    opening/closing, and eventually the cable packed in on both of them - what
    happened is described. It never happened to my revo, but that was because
    the battery went first. I wonder if they used a more durable cable in the
    3mx?

    Duncan.

+ Reply to Thread