5mx Reset after Battery change - Scion

This is a discussion on 5mx Reset after Battery change - Scion ; The low main battery warning appeared and I checked the battery state: backup battery shows full, main batts low. Within an hour or two I closed the case (this turns off the machine) and removed the AAs. When I replaced ...

  1. 5mx Reset after Battery change

    The low main battery warning appeared and I checked the battery state: backup
    battery shows full, main batts low.

    Within an hour or two I closed the case (this turns off the machine) and removed
    the AAs. When I replaced the batteries and started the machine I was greeted
    with an ominous beep.

    All my information on the C drive wiped.

    I restored my backup on a CF card made with Christpher Handley's FastBackup.

    But how can this happen? Are the backup battery contacts corroding? If so
    shouldn't the batt indicator show a low backup level?

    I seem to recall an extra piece of paper in the 5mx packaging that advised of a
    particular way to remove and insert the AA batteries. What was that, anyone
    remember? I pried up one from where it touched the other, and inserted the new
    ones (-) first.

    Brian

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  2. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    news:1110909185.1053179b7ffa3687fe38b03ac1fa57dd@t eranews...
    | The low main battery warning appeared and I checked the battery
    state: backup
    | battery shows full, main batts low.
    |
    | Within an hour or two I closed the case (this turns off the machine)
    and removed
    | the AAs. When I replaced the batteries and started the machine I was
    greeted
    | with an ominous beep.
    |
    | All my information on the C drive wiped.
    |
    | I restored my backup on a CF card made with Christpher Handley's
    FastBackup.

    | But how can this happen? Are the backup battery contacts corroding?
    If so
    | shouldn't the batt indicator show a low backup level?
    |
    | I seem to recall an extra piece of paper in the 5mx packaging that
    advised of a
    | particular way to remove and insert the AA batteries. What was that,
    anyone
    | remember? I pried up one from where it touched the other, and
    inserted the new
    | ones (-) first.
    |
    | Brian
    |
    | --
    | Auckland NEW ZEALAND

    If you are worried about it connect the mains adapter then change the
    batteries.

    Remember that the backup battery is low capacity, perhaps the 2 hours
    before closing the case has drained the backup battery? Did it show as
    low when you replaced the batteries (it's not stated/not clear from
    your email). Are your AA batteries rechargeables?

  3. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    In article <1110909185.1053179b7ffa3687fe38b03ac1fa57dd@terane ws>,
    quattrocchi wrote:
    >But how can this happen? Are the backup battery contacts corroding? If so
    >shouldn't the batt indicator show a low backup level?

    You might want to clean the contacts in the Psion and on the backup
    battery itself - the problem can be corroded contacts, as the
    resistance they present can cause the voltage to collapse only _under
    load_ - to the battery voltage looks fine until it's actually used...

    Mark

  4. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    In article ,
    alan smith wrote:
    > "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    > news:1110909185.1053179b7ffa3687fe38b03ac1fa57dd@t eranews...
    >> The low main battery warning appeared and I checked the battery state: backup
    >> battery shows full, main batts low.
    >> Within an hour or two I closed the case (this turns off the machine) and
    >> removed the AAs. When I replaced the batteries and started the machine I was
    >> greeted with an ominous beep.
    >> All my information on the C drive wiped [...]

    > If you are worried about it connect the mains adapter then change the
    > batteries.

    > Remember that the backup battery is low capacity, perhaps the 2 hours
    > before closing the case has drained the backup battery?

    No. backup battery was, and still is, at full level (3.1v).

    > Did it show as low when you replaced the batteries (it's not stated/not clear
    > from your email). Are your AA batteries rechargeables?

    Not rechargeables. Cheap bulk-purchase alkaline.

    Brian

  5. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    In article <273@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk>,
    Mark Wheadon wrote:
    > In article <1110909185.1053179b7ffa3687fe38b03ac1fa57dd@terane ws>,
    > quattrocchi wrote:
    > >But how can this happen? Are the backup battery contacts corroding? If so
    > >shouldn't the batt indicator show a low backup level?

    > You might want to clean the contacts in the Psion and on the backup
    > battery itself - the problem can be corroded contacts, as the
    > resistance they present can cause the voltage to collapse only _under
    > load_ - to the battery voltage looks fine until it's actually used...

    > Mark

    Thanks.

  6. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    news:1110994262.c5944de28befee49dc54c3ce5aea605d@t eranews...
    | In article ,
    | alan smith wrote:
    | > "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    | > news:1110909185.1053179b7ffa3687fe38b03ac1fa57dd@t eranews...
    | >> The low main battery warning appeared and I checked the battery
    state: backup
    | >> battery shows full, main batts low.
    | >> Within an hour or two I closed the case (this turns off the
    machine) and
    | >> removed the AAs. When I replaced the batteries and started the
    machine I was
    | >> greeted with an ominous beep.
    | >> All my information on the C drive wiped [...]
    |
    | > If you are worried about it connect the mains adapter then change
    the
    | > batteries.
    |
    | > Remember that the backup battery is low capacity, perhaps the 2
    hours
    | > before closing the case has drained the backup battery?
    |
    | No. backup battery was, and still is, at full level (3.1v).
    |
    | > Did it show as low when you replaced the batteries (it's not
    stated/not clear
    | > from your email). Are your AA batteries rechargeables?
    |
    | Not rechargeables. Cheap bulk-purchase alkaline.
    |
    | Brian

    As already posted look at the backup battery contacts, you can also (at
    your own risk!) bend the contacts slightly to get better contact- check
    through the newsgroup archives, it's been a problem in the past.

  7. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    Mark Wheadon opined
    >then Zaurus (a mistake)

    Why?

    Mike
    --
    Michael J Davis
    <><

  8. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    In article , Michael J Davis
    wrote:
    > >then Zaurus (a mistake)

    > Why?

    Worthwhile question - it impinges on my "do I get a brace of
    spare Psions off Ebay, or take the plunge and invest in a different
    pockt-braincell.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  9. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    "Aidan Karley" wrote in message
    news:VA.0000060f.3466ead9@mynameplus1.demon.co.uk. invalid...
    | In article , Michael J Davis
    | wrote:
    | > >then Zaurus (a mistake)
    | >
    | > Why?
    | >
    | Worthwhile question - it impinges on my "do I get a brace of
    | spare Psions off Ebay, or take the plunge and invest in a different
    | pockt-braincell.
    |
    | --
    | Aidan Karley,

    There is only one person who can decide that.

    From a personal point of view I've moved on. There are advantages and
    disadvantages to whichever way you choose and the
    advantages/disadvantages have been covered in the past. If you want to
    be more scientific about your approach rather than emotional open up a
    new sheet (or whatever) and put a heading Advantages, and one
    Disadvantages. Decide what the question is (psychological undertones in
    your choice.....Advantages of staying with the Psion, Advantages of a
    new machine etc.)

    One other thing is that there is a large range of ppc's, and of palm's,
    unlike the Psion machines so you need to be careful in choosing which
    one is right if you decide to change.
    There are things I have learned from owning my first ppc and there is
    one question I would definitely ask, and one feature(annoyance) I would
    never allow in anything I buy in the future- but that is me.

    There have been discussions in the past in this newsgroup, other groups
    and forums too on this subject. There is no one right answer for
    everyone. Some things that may be relevant to you may not be relevant
    to others, colour of the machine for example. Other things may be
    critical- use of disposable batteries that you buy anywhere. Only you
    can decide what is relevant to you- for example I met one Psion owner
    who went out within 2 hours of seeing my ppc and bought a newer
    machine- he saw the clarity and definition of the screen and said 'I
    hadn't realised the Psion was so cr*p' - it was one overriding thing
    and was important to him. He bought a non-colour screen Palm because
    the price suited him, and it did what he wanted
    NOTE- I'm not criticising the Psion screen myself, but do think the
    newer machines are lots better. However the backlit colour approach can
    to be offset against lower battery life if that is important to you.
    Compare the machines and decide. Others have bought new machines then
    put them back in the box and go back to the Psion after some time. It
    took me months to change over, it was over 6 months before I was taking
    the ppc rather than the Psion when I was going anywhere.

    I found the ppc a little limited compared to the Psion in a few areas-
    diary and spreadsheet for example but there is some really good (paid
    for) ppc software- the spreadsheet I now use is directly excel
    compatible for example and superb.
    I haven't always found better software equivalents though. There
    doesn't seem to be as much quality freeware either, although I gather
    the Palm has plenty of choice.

    Try a list, see where you stand but do try to be dispassionate about
    it. Bear in mind that you know the Psion, but not a PPC/Palm so they
    may cause some weighting based on your experiences. You could try
    asking why people have moved, but a lot of those that have moved won't
    frequent the Psion groups now, possibly the are in the ppc and palm
    groups. Just reading/asking here may create a natural pro-psion bias.
    If you are interested you can read through the other groups to see what
    problems come up for the other machines. microsoft.public.pocketpc is
    one to try.

    Whatever you choose remember it is what is best for you that is
    important. Nothing else.

  10. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    In article ,
    Michael J Davis wrote:
    >Mark Wheadon opined
    >>then Zaurus (a mistake)

    >Why?

    The hardware was good - the beeper was too quiet (I didn't notice it
    sounding in noisy conditions) - but other than that it was fine. The
    problem was the software - the diary app for example felt more like
    some kind of alpha release. Very little functionality and not at all
    well sorted (for example, an all-day event took up about a third of
    that day's display area). I think the idea must have been "get the
    hardware out there and the open software community will fill the
    gaps". Maybe they have by now, but certainly at the time (a few years
    ago now) the machine really wasn't usable.

    A collegue of mine bought one at the same time, and dearly wanted it
    to work for him (a decent PDA that runs Unix was something he really
    wanted) - but he too gave up and it now languishes in a drawer...

    Mark

  11. Re: 5mx Reset after Battery change

    Mark Wheadon opined
    >In article ,
    >Michael J Davis wrote:
    >>Mark Wheadon opined
    >>>then Zaurus (a mistake)

    >>Why?

    >The hardware was good - the beeper was too quiet (I didn't notice it
    >sounding in noisy conditions) - but other than that it was fine. The
    >problem was the software - the diary app for example felt more like
    >some kind of alpha release. Very little functionality and not at all
    >well sorted (for example, an all-day event took up about a third of
    >that day's display area). I think the idea must have been "get the
    >hardware out there and the open software community will fill the
    >gaps". Maybe they have by now, but certainly at the time (a few years
    >ago now) the machine really wasn't usable.
    >
    >A collegue of mine bought one at the same time, and dearly wanted it
    >to work for him (a decent PDA that runs Unix was something he really
    >wanted) - but he too gave up and it now languishes in a drawer...

    Thanks, Mark. I had that feeling too. And it isn't cheap, either!

    Mike
    Michael J Davis
    http://www.trustsof.demon.co.uk
    <><
    For this is what the Lord has said to me,
    "Go and post a Watchman and let
    him report what he sees." Isa 21:6
    <><

  12. Backup Battery Contacts (Was: 5mx Reset after Battery change)

    In article <273@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk> in March 05,
    Mark Wheadon wrote:
    > You might want to clean the contacts in the Psion and on the backup
    > battery itself - the problem can be corroded contacts, as the
    > resistance they present can cause the voltage to collapse only _under
    > load_ - to the battery voltage looks fine until it's actually used...
    > Mark

    I've tried cleaning the contacts, but my 5MX backup battery still shows wildly
    varying voltages. It's a new battery.

    As I watch in system=>information=>battery, the level sweeps from 0 to full to
    various places partway. And the screen often reports 'Replace backup battery' on
    opening up.

    I 'cleaned the contacts' with alcohol and a toothpick. Would that do?

    I might have to get inside the machine. What would I look for?

    Luckily I have very good main batteries, Energizer Lithium.
    So far they've done 33hrs and still showing about 95%.

    Brian

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  13. Re: Backup Battery Contacts (Was: 5mx Reset after Battery change)

    Brian

    I run www.psionflexi.co.uk and see this problem quite often. The contacts
    are soldered to the main PCB. Often they break away from the board but
    sometimes they just begin to oxidise and form a higher and higher resistance
    joint. This can cause erratic readings for the battery. The answer is to
    just resolder the contacts down. Preferably, remove them, clean all the old
    solder off and then resolder. That should solve your problem!

    Paul

    "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    news:1116913843.7a8c1c8d189ce90b392c36d1419adf2a@t eranews...
    > In article <273@myrtle.ukc.ac.uk> in March 05,
    > Mark Wheadon wrote:
    > > You might want to clean the contacts in the Psion and on the backup
    > > battery itself - the problem can be corroded contacts, as the
    > > resistance they present can cause the voltage to collapse only _under
    > > load_ - to the battery voltage looks fine until it's actually used...
    > > Mark

    > I've tried cleaning the contacts, but my 5MX backup battery still shows

    wildly
    > varying voltages. It's a new battery.
    >
    > As I watch in system=>information=>battery, the level sweeps from 0 to

    full to
    > various places partway. And the screen often reports 'Replace backup

    battery' on
    > opening up.
    >
    > I 'cleaned the contacts' with alcohol and a toothpick. Would that do?
    >
    > I might have to get inside the machine. What would I look for?
    >

    > Luckily I have very good main batteries, Energizer Lithium.
    > So far they've done 33hrs and still showing about 95%.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  14. Re: Backup Battery Contacts (Was: 5mx Reset after Battery change)

    In article ,
    Wrighty wrote:
    > Brian

    > I run www.psionflexi.co.uk and see this problem quite often. The contacts
    > are soldered to the main PCB. Often they break away from the board but
    > sometimes they just begin to oxidise and form a higher and higher resistance
    > joint. This can cause erratic readings for the battery. The answer is to
    > just resolder the contacts down. Preferably, remove them, clean all the old
    > solder off and then resolder. That should solve your problem!

    Thanks Paul

    --
    Brian Adam
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND