Psioword files and windows programs - Scion

This is a discussion on Psioword files and windows programs - Scion ; Hi all, Does anyone know of either 1) a windows worprocessor that will edit psiword files or 2) a psion word processor that loads/saves in a format that a windows wordprocessing progam can also load/save. I would prefer 1) eg ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Psioword files and windows programs

  1. Psioword files and windows programs

    Hi all,

    Does anyone know of either
    1) a windows worprocessor that will edit psiword files or
    2) a psion word processor that loads/saves in a format that
    a windows wordprocessing progam can also load/save.

    I would prefer 1) eg I have tried Abiword but the psiword support
    seems broken

    I use a 5mx and CF card to transfer files with windows machines (98,
    2000, NT4, XP).


    Reddog.


  2. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    Reddog wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > Does anyone know of either
    > 1) a windows worprocessor that will edit psiword files or
    > 2) a psion word processor that loads/saves in a format that
    > a windows wordprocessing progam can also load/save.
    >
    > I would prefer 1) eg I have tried Abiword but the psiword support
    > seems broken
    >
    > I use a 5mx and CF card to transfer files with windows machines (98,
    > 2000, NT4, XP).
    >
    >
    > Reddog.
    >


    Is there any particular reason why PsiWin file conversion is no good for
    you?

    Lee

  3. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    My normal solution to this problem is to have a machine with
    PsiWin loaded, and to use the converter in there.
    Windows 'Write' is the most reliable format to convert to, in my
    experience.

    I've never met a word processor that natively reads/ writes
    PsionWord format.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233


  4. Re: Psioword files and windows programs


    Aidan Karley wrote:
    > I've never met a word processor that natively reads/ writes
    > PsionWord format.


    On AbiWord´s web site there is at least an import/export filter
    for Psion:
    http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/v...d/PluginMatrix

    .... but I haven´t tried it!


    /Peter Kindström

  5. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    In article <_hIUd.18649$d5.143334@newsb.telia.net>, Peter Kindström
    wrote:
    > On AbiWord´s web site there is at least an import/export filter
    > for Psion:
    > http://www.abisource.com/twiki/bin/v...d/PluginMatrix
    >
    > .... but I haven´t tried it!
    >

    I just did a quick d/l, install, load plug-ins, and test with
    one of my larger files. 223kb of text in various formats, included
    images, tables constructed to be legible on the Psion's screen.
    Basically, the largest Psion Word document that I've got. It imports OK
    - the only significant issue is that the styles I've defined (various
    levels of heading) die on import into AbiWord. The dead styles don't
    make it out to OO.org either, but that's no surprise.
    In comparison, the PsiWin Converter keeps the style names, and
    the outline of the document remains comprehensible (some hundreds of
    headings and sub-headings, to about 6 levels). Considerably better.
    Of the two, I'd use the PsiWin converter.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233


  6. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 22:00:07 GMT, Aidan Karley
    wrote:

    >... Basically, the largest Psion Word document that I've got. It imports OK
    >- the only significant issue is that the styles I've defined (various
    >levels of heading) die on import into AbiWord. The dead styles don't
    >make it out to OO.org either, but that's no surprise.
    > In comparison, the PsiWin Converter keeps the style names, and
    >the outline of the document remains comprehensible (some hundreds of
    >headings and sub-headings, to about 6 levels). Considerably better.
    > Of the two, I'd use the PsiWin converter.
    >


    Thanks - I found that saving / loading the same file in Abiword
    psiword format resulted in serious errorson XP.

    PsiWin does not work properly on NT or 2000 - both od which I use.

    What Windows version do you use?
    What program do you edit in on windows?
    Do you convert back to psiwin and continue editing as required?
    I am writing a book in chapter - files - the 5mx is VERY portable ! -
    so 'native' editing of the files themselves would be better


  7. Re: Psioword files and windows programs


    Thanks for the replies.

    I want a program to read/write psiword format files as I do not want
    to keep doing two way conversions all the time - it is A PAIN and
    error prone (for me anyway) and Psiwin does not work on NT properly
    etc.

    Among other uses of my 5mx is the writing of a book where each chapter
    is a file - anything bigger means the spell checking takes to long! -
    and having chapters on the CF chip means I just move the CF to the USB
    adapter and start editing on Windows as required etc.

    Abiword is a nice WP and it can edit psiword file directly - BUT
    saving / loading psiword files is unreliable !



  8. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    In article , Reddog wrote:
    > Abiword is a nice WP and it can edit psiword file directly - BUT
    > saving / loading psiword files is unreliable !
    >

    Psion Word can happily load and save as text files. Depending on
    what your arrangement with your publisher is, you'll need to submit
    your final copy in some format they specify. That's very unlikely to be
    Psion Word.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233


  9. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    In article , Reddog wrote:
    > PsiWin does not work properly on NT or 2000 - both od which I use.
    >
    > What Windows version do you use?

    Win2k
    But I haven't tried synching my Psion to the desk-/lap-tops for
    several generations - not since I moved on from NT about 2.5 years ago.
    BTW, it worked fine on NT. I don't have anything that the desktop
    would need to synch to the psion for, at least, not that can't be best
    done by copying everything to the CF card manually, and thence to the
    home network.
    I should have a Psion serial cable somewhere ... over there with
    the cable for the GPS which the burglars had a couple of years ago.

    > What program do you edit in on windows?

    OO.org for word processing and spreadsheeting; Gnuplot for
    presenting data; SciTE for text editing; WinLog and Gravitas for main
    work.

    > Do you convert back to psiwin and continue editing as required?

    Very rarely. Generally I'll start things on the Psion (because
    it's portable++), enter the main data there, then transfer it to the
    PCs for presentation/ storage/ communication to others in better known
    formats.

    > I am writing a book in chapter - files - the 5mx is VERY portable ! -
    > so 'native' editing of the files themselves would be better
    >

    Way I work it too. If stuff has to go in from outside sources,
    it goes onto the Psion as text files or PsiWin-converted monochrome
    bitmap images, stays in the working document there, and only comes out
    when I'm ready to do final presentation.
    Spreadsheets I have to manually re-write - they're too complex
    to survive the conversion (1-10 minutes for a recalculate on the Psion
    equates to a sub-second update on the laptop on OO.org).

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233


  10. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 01:00:14 GMT, Aidan Karley
    wrote:
    > Psion Word can happily load and save as text files. Depending on
    >what your arrangement with your publisher is, you'll need to submit
    >your final copy in some format they specify. That's very unlikely to be
    >Psion Word.
    >

    Like your self I use oo for all my documents - so it was with interest
    that I saw a comment about a psiword plugin being developed for oo:
    http://xml.openoffice.org/xmerge/ (search the page for psiword.)

    My serial cable is also 'around' somewhere.

    Thus native psiword file editing is what I am after!

    Thanks for the reply and may 'your cable never break'.

    Reddog.

  11. Re: Psioword files and windows programs

    In article , Reddog wrote:
    > Thanks for the reply and may 'your cable never break'.
    >

    The cable wouldn't be much of a problem, but that 'Honda'
    connector is really uncommon. 'd'-types I have coming out of my ears.
    Well, the electronics junk box at least.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 57°10'11" N, 02°08'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233


+ Reply to Thread