Migrating from Psion to Palm. - Scion

This is a discussion on Migrating from Psion to Palm. - Scion ; I have acquired a Palm Tungsten T. I am not abandoning the 5mx platform at this point, just evaluating the two side by side. However, I am looking for easy ways to migrate information from the Psion 5mx to the ...

  1. Migrating from Psion to Palm.

    I have acquired a Palm Tungsten T. I am not abandoning the 5mx
    platform at this point, just evaluating the two side by side. However,
    I am looking for easy ways to migrate information from the Psion 5mx
    to the T|T. It occurs to me that this is a good place to start - there
    must be someone here who has gone through this learning curve before.
    Here are the major challenges.

    1) Migrating the entire contacts list in one go.

    2) Migrating an entire Agenda file into the calendar application.

    Also, What can I do with data and Jotter files? Is there an app in or
    for the Palm that will accept them?

    I have the following tools available: Psiwin, Lotus Organizer 97 GS,
    MS Outlook 98, MS Office 97 and 2000

  2. Re: Migrating from Psion to Palm.

    On Wed, 23 Feb 2005 15:52:46 +0000, Wizard Prang wrote
    (in article ):

    > I have acquired a Palm Tungsten T. I am not abandoning the 5mx
    > platform at this point, just evaluating the two side by side. However,
    > I am looking for easy ways to migrate information from the Psion 5mx
    > to the T|T. It occurs to me that this is a good place to start - there
    > must be someone here who has gone through this learning curve before.
    > Here are the major challenges.
    >
    > 1) Migrating the entire contacts list in one go.
    >
    > 2) Migrating an entire Agenda file into the calendar application.
    >
    > Also, What can I do with data and Jotter files? Is there an app in or
    > for the Palm that will accept them?
    >
    > I have the following tools available: Psiwin, Lotus Organizer 97 GS,
    > MS Outlook 98, MS Office 97 and 2000

    What follows is a copy of a posting I made to the EPOC digest (aka The
    Digest) when I first got my Tungsten T5 and moved files over from my netBook
    to that machine. Hopefully some of it will be useful...

    While not directly related to EPOC or Symbian, I thought it may be of
    interest to list some factors arising with moving from a Psion to a Palm
    handheld. After 10+ years of Psion use and a couple of years of prevarication
    I've finally jumped ship! I must admit that I feel that I have been partly
    pushed there by Psion and would _never_ have switched if Psion had continued
    to develop and support their handhelds. The fact that my netBook seen
    continues to fade was a final push.

    This is very much a personal view rather than a definitive guide.

    While the whole experience of moving to a Tungsten T5 has been pretty
    positive, there are one or two areas that are less satisfying but nothing
    that is fundamentally flawed. What it has revealed to me is that the jewel in
    Psion's crown is the Agenda application and the built-in suite of
    applications. The palm has nothing that even approaches these out of the box.
    While the Psion agenda application has barely changed since the Psion 3 in
    the early 90's, it is way ahead of the Palm datebook application. A third
    party application such as Datebk5 goes a long way to redress this balance but
    just try setting up an entry to repeat on the first and third Thursday of
    each month or embedding anything more than a text file! Datebk5 does provide
    an integrated via of both ToDo and calendar entries that is otherwise only
    available in the 'Today' view - it's an application I would recommend as
    worth checking out.

    As the Tungsten is targeted at a 'corporate' market (i.e. no camera etc) it
    includes the excellent Documents To Go program and this provides a capability
    for word processing and spreadsheets that probably matches (on balance) that
    on the Psion.

    The process of transferring data over to the Palm has been pretty painless
    largely because this is (in my experience) the only time when Outlook Is Your
    Friend! I have never been a fan of synchronising my Agenda data with the
    desktop but doing so took 90% of the pain out of transferring PIM data from
    the Psion. Word and Sheet data was a simple transfer and conversion via
    PsiWin then transferred over via Documents To Go (after a few minor edits to
    fix differences between Sheet and Excel conventions).

    The Tungsten does not include any sort of database application but the JFile
    application provides a 'flat' database tool that provides a capability that
    exceeds that provided by the Data application on the Psion. In my case data
    transfer was accomplished by exporting files to text files on the Psion,
    importing these to Access and then moving them to the Palm using the JFConv
    utility. Hardly a pain-free process but not too technically challenging.

    I am still in the process of transferring over my email archive from the
    Psion using a process I have described here before. I have used MailArc to
    export the mail to a CSV text file then imported this to Access where I will
    either covert it to a PDF file or a JFile database. This is very much a work
    in progress and I may also try SaveMail again to see if I can create a data
    file on the Psion as an alternative.

    On the hardware front I _do_ miss a keyboard as Graffiti2 (aka Jot) is
    constantly frustrating me. On the other hand the small form factor compared
    to a netBook and the fantastically bright screen (not even the brightest Palm
    apparently) is a pleasure to use both indoors and outdoors. The geek pleasure
    associated with synching with a PowerBook via Bluetooth and iSync can not be
    overstated! Email and SMS via IR and my Nokia 6210 were very simple to setup
    - Bluetooth would be better but this setup works for me at the moment.

    Overall I am upbeat about the move but will miss using a Psion as I have been
    a fan boy for years. It will be interesting to see how green the grass is in
    six months.

    Apologies for the long post. I do hope it is of interest to some subscribers.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

+ Reply to Thread