Psion Revo+ and GPRS - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion Revo+ and GPRS - Scion ; I have a Nokia 6230 which is able to use GPRS. Is there a way of utilising this with the Revo rather than simply being a dial-up connection?...

  1. Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    I have a Nokia 6230 which is able to use GPRS.

    Is there a way of utilising this with the Revo rather than simply being a
    dial-up connection?

  2. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 11:51:46 -0000, Stephen Moll
    wrote:

    > I have a Nokia 6230 which is able to use GPRS.
    >
    > Is there a way of utilising this with the Revo rather than simply being a
    > dial-up connection?

    On some phones there is a "magic number" you can dial that tells them to
    use a GPRS access point instead of a data call. The best place to look is
    the Nokia forums.

  3. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    > On some phones there is a "magic number" you can dial that tells them to
    > use a GPRS access point instead of a data call.

    You're quite right. Its *99#.

    Cheers.

  4. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    > Is there a way of utilising this with the Revo rather than simply being a
    > dial-up connection?

    Like what? What did you have in mind?

    Richard

    "Stephen Moll" wrote in message
    >I have a Nokia 6230 which is able to use GPRS.

  5. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    "CouldBeFlying" wrote in message
    > > Is there a way of utilising this with the Revo rather than simply being

    > > dial-up connection?
    > >

    > Like what? What did you have in mind?
    >
    > Richard
    >
    > "Stephen Moll" wrote in message
    > >I have a Nokia 6230 which is able to use GPRS.

    All sorted now. Setup new modem as follows:

    Control Panel: New:
    Modem sheet:
    Name: GPSR
    Speed: 115200
    Connect via: Infrared
    Fax Class: Auto

    Options sheet:
    Loudspeaker in use: Never
    Volume: Quiet
    Pause time for ",": 4

    Initialisation sheet:
    Init (reset) string: ATZ
    Data init. string:
    Fax init. string:

    Advanced sheet:
    Flow control: Hardware (RTS/CTS)
    Terminal detect (DSR/DTR): checked
    Carrier detect (DCD): checked
    Modem type: Fixed Line

    Control Panel: Internet:
    Service sheet:
    Name: GPRS
    Connection type: Dial-up
    Use "smart" dialling: UNchecked
    Standard dial-up number: *99#

    Account sheet:
    Manual login: UNchecked
    Username: web
    Password: web
    Confirm password: web

    Addresses sheet:
    Get IP address from server: checked
    Get DNS address from server: checked

    Login sheet:
    Use login script: UNchecked

    Advanced sheet:
    Enable PPP extensions: UNchecked
    Allow plain text authentication: checked
    Use call back: UN checked

    When in Email, and "Open mailbox" is selected, the "Connect to Internet"
    dialogue should appear as:

    To Internet service : GPRS
    Using modem : GPRS
    Number to dial : *99#

    The *99# is the trick, it tells a Nokia phone to use GPRS. Its quick too!
    Haven't tried sending mail though, I have a feeling this won't work, as SMTP
    authentication is required by BT Yahoo, unless using their dedicated PDA
    dial-up number.

  6. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    Stephen Moll wrote:
    > The *99# is the trick, it tells a Nokia phone to use GPRS. Its quick too!
    > Haven't tried sending mail though, I have a feeling this won't work, as SMTP
    > authentication is required by BT Yahoo, unless using their dedicated PDA
    > dial-up number.

    Your mobile network is supposed to provide an SMTP server insider the
    GPRS network so that it doesn't need authentication since you're coming
    from "inside". When you try to access your ISP,s SMTP server from your
    mobile, you're coming from the outside of their network and without
    authentication, you would be seen as a hacker trying to use their server
    to realy emails.

  7. Re: Psion Revo+ and GPRS

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    news:1108694905.08583a75e624069e0281bddf368b2bed@t eranews...
    > Stephen Moll wrote:
    > > The *99# is the trick, it tells a Nokia phone to use GPRS. Its quick

    too!
    > > Haven't tried sending mail though, I have a feeling this won't work, as

    SMTP
    > > authentication is required by BT Yahoo, unless using their dedicated PDA
    > > dial-up number.

    > Your mobile network is supposed to provide an SMTP server insider the
    > GPRS network so that it doesn't need authentication since you're coming
    > from "inside". When you try to access your ISP,s SMTP server from your
    > mobile, you're coming from the outside of their network and without
    > authentication, you would be seen as a hacker trying to use their server
    > to realy emails.

    Yes, I know. What I don't know, are the details of the SMTP server on
    T-Mobile in the UK. I shall make attempts to find out sometime this weekend,
    when I have a few moments of time to put to it.

+ Reply to Thread