Series 5 CF Card door hinge ! - Scion

This is a discussion on Series 5 CF Card door hinge ! - Scion ; This morning, I opened the door where one would normally insert the additional memory card on the Series 5. I had no problems opening it. However, once opened, I was not only unable to close it, but normal pressure simply ...

  1. Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    This morning, I opened the door where one would normally insert the
    additional memory card on the Series 5.

    I had no problems opening it. However, once opened, I was not only
    unable to close it, but normal pressure simply broke the door from the
    part that hinges. I need pliers to rotate the hinge, it is that "stuck".

    It is pointless for me to try to glew the thing back until I find out
    and correct the reason for the hinge to have become so difficult to rotate.

    Does anyone have any hint on why this happened and how to make the hinge
    work properly again ?

    I had not opened this compartment in years.

  2. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    In article <1108027941.9d98f5fd6ab9b714ca1b0361f4e36eac@terane ws>, JF
    Mezei wrote:
    > Does anyone have any hint on why this happened and how to make the hinge
    > work properly again ?
    >
    > I had not opened this compartment in years.

    My guess would be that some rattling bit of dirt inside the case
    has got jammed into the inside part of the hinge mechanism, between the
    microswitch and the activating lug. What it is, I dread to think, but I
    fear you'll have to "take it's shirt off" to get the blockage cleared.
    That's not too difficult, but you do need to be practised in fiddling into
    tightly packed delicate parts.
    The bad news is that unless you can close the door (more precisely,
    press the microswitch on the inside of the door/ hinge mechanism), then
    the machine will remain shut down. This is a necessary design feature, to
    prevent the insertion/ removal of the CF card while the processor is
    running.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  3. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    Aidan Karley wrote:
    > The bad news is that unless you can close the door (more precisely,
    > press the microswitch on the inside of the door/ hinge mechanism), then
    > the machine will remain shut down.

    Thanks for the bad news... hadn't thought of that :-(

    Is the microswitch phsycally located near the hinge side or at the
    opposite end (eg: other end of the door) ?

    And is there a site that describes how to take a S5 apart ? I know how
    to do my S3 really well, but never took the S5 apart.

  4. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 02:05:38 -0500, JF Mezei
    wrote:

    >Aidan Karley wrote:
    >> The bad news is that unless you can close the door (more precisely,
    >> press the microswitch on the inside of the door/ hinge mechanism), then
    >> the machine will remain shut down.

    >Thanks for the bad news... hadn't thought of that :-(
    >
    >Is the microswitch phsycally located near the hinge side or at the
    >opposite end (eg: other end of the door) ?
    >
    >And is there a site that describes how to take a S5 apart ? I know how
    >to do my S3 really well, but never took the S5 apart.

    Exactly the same thing recently happened with my S5. Fortunately
    there was enough left of the hinge end for me to move the remains to
    the closed position. The unit still works fine with the cover missing
    and 'thinks' it is closed. The CF card is of course accessible
    without a cover so I'll have to remember not to try to remove it with
    the machine turned on.
    I doubt that trying to glue the cover back would be successful -
    there's a lot of leverage applied at the place where it broke.

  5. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    wrote:

    >And is there a site that describes how to take a S5 apart ? I know how
    >to do my S3 really well, but never took the S5 apart.

    Try http://www.aha.ru/~odating/

    Excellent site with pictures if you are feeling brave.

    Otherwise consider sending for repair/Dock overhaul, after which you
    should get quite a few more years.

    --
    John Adams.
    I do not check this mail account. Please reply to Newsgroup.

  6. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    I have spares for series 5 and can fit this if you want your machine/door
    fixed. See my web site at www.psionflexi.co.uk

    Paul

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    news:1108027941.9d98f5fd6ab9b714ca1b0361f4e36eac@t eranews...
    > This morning, I opened the door where one would normally insert the
    > additional memory card on the Series 5.
    >
    > I had no problems opening it. However, once opened, I was not only
    > unable to close it, but normal pressure simply broke the door from the
    > part that hinges. I need pliers to rotate the hinge, it is that "stuck".
    >
    > It is pointless for me to try to glew the thing back until I find out
    > and correct the reason for the hinge to have become so difficult to

    rotate.

    > Does anyone have any hint on why this happened and how to make the hinge
    > work properly again ?
    >
    > I had not opened this compartment in years.

  7. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    Wrighty wrote:

    > I have spares for series 5 and can fit this if you want your machine/door
    > fixed. See my web site at www.psionflexi.co.uk

    Can you ship the part only ? I am in Canada, and shipping a 5 to the UK
    and back would cost more in hassles than the unit is worth :-) (let
    alone the cost of repairs). But if I could get the part, then I could
    easily fix it myself.

  8. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    John Adams wrote:
    > Try http://www.aha.ru/~odating/

    Many thanks. I had figured there was a scre under the warranty sticker.
    But didn't know where the other ones were. This site is a bible !!!!

  9. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    In article <420C5922.FFC42124@teksavvy.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    > Is the microswitch phsycally located near the hinge side or at the
    > opposite end (eg: other end of the door) ?

    I can't remember from when I had to take my Psion apart (bad
    screen cable.

    > And is there a site that describes how to take a S5 apart ? I know how
    > to do my S3 really well, but never took the S5 apart.

    There are a couple. Quite heavy on the graphics I remember. I
    don't remember the addresses though - they're Googlable somewhere, and
    probably linked from the Psion fan sites (which I don't have addresses
    for either). I'm sure I could take it apart for you, clear the blockage,
    and still have some coffee in the bottom of my cup. But I'm out to sea
    on Monday.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

  10. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:00:04 GMT, Aidan Karley
    wrote:

    >In article <420C5922.FFC42124@teksavvy.com>, JF Mezei wrote:
    >> Is the microswitch phsycally located near the hinge side or at the
    >> opposite end (eg: other end of the door) ?
    >>

    > I can't remember from when I had to take my Psion apart (bad
    >screen cable.

    It's at the hinge side. The stump of my broken cover still rotates and
    operates the switch.

    >> And is there a site that describes how to take a S5 apart ? I know how
    >> to do my S3 really well, but never took the S5 apart.
    >>

    > There are a couple. Quite heavy on the graphics I remember. I
    >don't remember the addresses though - they're Googlable somewhere, and
    >probably linked from the Psion fan sites (which I don't have addresses
    >for either). I'm sure I could take it apart for you, clear the blockage,
    >and still have some coffee in the bottom of my cup. But I'm out to sea
    >on Monday.

  11. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    Jupiter wrote:
    > It's at the hinge side. The stump of my broken cover still rotates and
    > operates the switch.

    I don't have a CF card in. The unit opereates no matter what the
    position of the little remaining stub on the hinge. So either I have an
    early version that didn't have the microswitch, or something is really
    amock inside with the microswitch squeezed elsewhere :-)

    Thanks to pointers here, I figures out how to remove the back cover and
    will take a look at it tonight.

  12. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    As a follow up. I opened the back of my 5.

    It took quite a bit of amrwrestling to remove the remaining hinge stub
    if was really stuck in there. Interestingly , when I tried to put it
    back, it seemed to move much more freely. I do have a microswitch, but
    it doesn't seem to do much.

    And I have the ROM daughter card that PSION promised would get upgraded
    but didn't.

    Got me to think. Had PSION not essentially recalled the original batch
    of FLASH-ROM psions, would those machines be upgradable today with
    netbook software etc ? (or a version of LINUX ?) Or were the mechanisms
    to upgrade the flash not present in the first batch of S5s ?

    (I turned my original 5 for a replacement to get the fix for the math
    errors, peeling skin and stuck pen, and got the second batch rom 1.01
    which then had the ROM in non-FLASH memory.

  13. Re: Series 5 CF Card door hinge !

    In article <1108257797.66065847314bdddb8ba9ea3cf3b400a9@terane ws>, JF
    Mezei wrote:
    > Thanks to pointers here, I figures out how to remove the back cover and
    > will take a look at it tonight.

    IIRC, three screws - one under the warranty sticker in the back-up
    battery cavity; one under the stylus in the CF drawer, and a third
    centrally placed in the edging of the main battery chassis. IIRC there
    are 'click-together' tabs at various points around the case, which can be
    freed with a shim of some sort.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

+ Reply to Thread