Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault? - Scion

This is a discussion on Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault? - Scion ; I notice the touch screen is acting strangely lately, when I'm (say) scrolling down a page using the down arrow suddenly after one of the pen touches I suddenly get the System screen. Another time the touchscreen failed to work ...

  1. Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    I notice the touch screen is acting strangely lately, when I'm (say)
    scrolling down a page using the down arrow suddenly after one of the pen
    touches I suddenly get the System screen.

    Another time the touchscreen failed to work at all, and slowly closing the
    lid while tapping something on the screen still failed to activate it. Yet
    closing it (turns off when closed) and reopening straight away, it was
    restored to working. That was a week ago.

    Are both of these early signs of a cable failure?

    Annoying, as my last machine cable's failed recently, and had a sharp
    screen.

    Bri

    --
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  2. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Hi Bri,

    I expected someone who really knows to reply as I've not yet had
    a screen cable failure on either of my 5mxs.

    I've never heard of your symptom being a precursor of screen
    cable failure, which doesn't mean it isn't.

    If you've done a backup then try a very hard reset. Take out the
    CF, the backup battery and the AAs and leave the machine for a
    few hours. Reverse the procedure and any software faults should
    be eliminated.

    If the problem remains then it is probably hardware. Ask at
    http://www.psionflexi.co.uk - he's very helpful and
    knowledgeable.
    Alternatively ask Pinnock at http://www.posltd.com who are also
    very knowledgeable.

    If you need a new screen cable the psionflexi are cheaper and
    probably better than those Pinnock fit - no criticism of Pinnock,
    just of the poor design of the original cables!

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Fate protects fools, little children,
    and ships named Enterprise."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  3. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Very hard system reset? Sounds like something those knowledgeable
    people at Dixons would recommend. Do you work there by any chance?

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message

    | Hi Bri,
    |
    | I expected someone who really knows to reply as I've not yet had
    | a screen cable failure on either of my 5mxs.
    |
    | I've never heard of your symptom being a precursor of screen
    | cable failure, which doesn't mean it isn't.
    |
    | If you've done a backup then try a very hard reset. Take out the
    | CF, the backup battery and the AAs and leave the machine for a
    | few hours. Reverse the procedure and any software faults should
    | be eliminated.
    |
    | If the problem remains then it is probably hardware. Ask at
    | http://www.psionflexi.co.uk - he's very helpful and
    | knowledgeable.
    | Alternatively ask Pinnock at http://www.posltd.com who are also
    | very knowledgeable.
    |
    | If you need a new screen cable the psionflexi are cheaper and
    | probably better than those Pinnock fit - no criticism of Pinnock,
    | just of the poor design of the original cables!
    |
    | Take care,
    | Phil.
    |
    | "Fate protects fools, little children,
    | and ships named Enterprise."
    |
    | http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  4. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Hi Alan,

    As far as I'm aware I don't work at Dixons. I don't think I ever
    have.

    The 5mx has several levels of reset and I suggested a 'very hard'
    reset to restore the machine to it's most basic condition. This
    is very rarely needed. Even an ordinary 'hard' reset is rarely
    needed. I've needed neither. A 'soft' reset is the worst I've
    needed though I need to do a 'very soft' reset every few months,
    usually after installing software.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "If it can't be expressed in figures,
    it is not science; it is opinion."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  5. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    I've heard 'very hard reset' used to mean taking out all batteries and
    leaving till the residual current has dissipated, as opposed to the
    normal hard reset. Not necessarily a Dixons solution at all,
    therefore.
    --
    __________________________________________________ __

    ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    __________________________________________________ __

  6. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    lmao

    "Phil Aypee" wrote in message
    | Hi Alan,
    |
    | As far as I'm aware I don't work at Dixons. I don't think I ever
    | have.
    |
    | The 5mx has several levels of reset and I suggested a 'very hard'
    | reset to restore the machine to it's most basic condition. This
    | is very rarely needed. Even an ordinary 'hard' reset is rarely
    | needed. I've needed neither. A 'soft' reset is the worst I've
    | needed though I need to do a 'very soft' reset every few months,
    | usually after installing software.
    |
    | Take care,
    | Phil.
    |
    | "If it can't be expressed in figures,
    | it is not science; it is opinion."
    |
    | http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  7. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    still lmao

    "Paul Gilham" wrote in message
    | I've heard 'very hard reset' used to mean taking out all batteries
    and
    | leaving till the residual current has dissipated, as opposed to the
    | normal hard reset. Not necessarily a Dixons solution at all,
    | therefore.
    | --
    | __________________________________________________ __
    |
    | ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    | __________________________________________________ __

  8. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    "quattrocchi" wrote in message
    > I notice the touch screen is acting strangely lately, when I'm (say)
    > scrolling down a page using the down arrow suddenly after one of the pen
    > touches I suddenly get the System screen.
    >
    > Another time the touchscreen failed to work at all, and slowly closing the
    > lid while tapping something on the screen still failed to activate it. Yet
    > closing it (turns off when closed) and reopening straight away, it was
    > restored to working. That was a week ago.
    >
    > Are both of these early signs of a cable failure?
    >
    > Annoying, as my last machine cable's failed recently, and had a sharp
    > screen.
    >
    > Bri

    Bri

    Paul here from www.psionflexi.co.uk . Your symptoms indicate that you have
    an intermittent connection problem with one of the 4 wires for the touch
    screen. It is hard to say why without looking at the machine but the most
    likely cause is the flexi. However, this can also be caused by the start of
    a crack in the screen or a poor joint on the flexi.

    I would be happy to try to help you out if you can get the machine to me.

    Hope that helps.

    Paul

  9. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Hi,

    Well, Bri, you have it from Paul himself and I doubt anyone
    knows better.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "Only shallow people truly know themselves."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  10. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Quoth alan smith :
    > still lmao

    Whatever floats your boat, old boy.
    --
    __________________________________________________ __

    ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    __________________________________________________ __

  11. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    I hope you left the email for several hours to make sure the words
    didn't change before replying.

    | Quoth alan smith :
    | > still lmao
    |
    | Whatever floats your boat, old boy.
    | --
    | __________________________________________________ __
    |
    | ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    | __________________________________________________ __

  12. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    If the hard reset and soft reset don't work, try the crunchy reset.
    I've found the cherry brandy centered reset (with a real cherry) is
    sometimes helpful too.

    alan smith wrote:
    > I hope you left the email for several hours to make sure the words
    > didn't change before replying.
    > still lmao
    >

    > "Paul Gilham" wrote in message
    > | Quoth alan smith :
    > | > still lmao
    > |
    > | Whatever floats your boat, old boy.
    > | --
    > | __________________________________________________ __
    > |
    > | ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    > | __________________________________________________ __

  13. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Quoth alan smith :
    > I hope you left the email for several hours to make sure the words
    > didn't change before replying.
    > still lmao

    Your reading comprehension seems a little faulty. At no point did I
    endorse the procedure or suggest it might work, merely pointed out that
    I'd seen the phrase under discussion used to describe it.

    If you derive amusement from such things, however, good for you.
    --
    __________________________________________________ __

    ~~ Paul Gilham ~~
    __________________________________________________ __

  14. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    Hi,

    Paul, I think Mr Smith wants to start a flame war.

    Silly, isn't it?

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "No man is exempt from saying silly things;
    the mischief is to say them deliberately."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  15. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:17:56 +1300, quattrocchi
    wrote:

    >I notice the touch screen is acting strangely lately, when I'm (say)
    >scrolling down a page using the down arrow suddenly after one of the pen
    >touches I suddenly get the System screen.
    >
    >Another time the touchscreen failed to work at all, and slowly closing the
    >lid while tapping something on the screen still failed to activate it. Yet
    >closing it (turns off when closed) and reopening straight away, it was
    >restored to working. That was a week ago.
    >
    >Are both of these early signs of a cable failure?
    >
    >Annoying, as my last machine cable's failed recently, and had a sharp
    >screen.
    >
    >Bri

    A bit late I know, but here's my experience:

    Occasionally my 5mx will, for no obvious reason stop responding to any
    screen touch. After keyboard use to close open files if possible, a
    soft reset cures the problem, and I'm back almost, to where I started.

    I too, occasionally get the reversion to system screen for no obvious
    reason, and come to think of it, it does coincide with use of the
    touch sensitive screen down the righthand side. I've not paid it too
    much attention though, as the file I was working with is left
    unaffected in the background.

    I have my doubts that this is a screen cable problem in my case,
    because I had the flexi replaced relatively recently by POS.

    Neil

  16. Re: Early Signs of Screen Cable Fault?

    In article ,
    Neil wrote:
    > On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 06:17:56 +1300, quattrocchi
    > wrote:
    > >I notice the touch screen is acting strangely lately, when I'm (say)
    > >scrolling down a page using the down arrow suddenly after one of the pen
    > >touches I suddenly get the System screen.

    > A bit late I know, but here's my experience:
    > Occasionally my 5mx will, for no obvious reason stop responding to any
    > screen touch. After keyboard use to close open files if possible, a
    > soft reset cures the problem, and I'm back almost, to where I started.
    > I too, occasionally get the reversion to system screen for no obvious
    > reason, and come to think of it, it does coincide with use of the
    > touch sensitive screen down the righthand side.

    Thanks for that. Seems that, for now, mine's still hanging in there.
    Brian

    > I've not paid it too
    > much attention though, as the file I was working with is left
    > unaffected in the background.
    > I have my doubts that this is a screen cable problem in my case,
    > because I had the flexi replaced relatively recently by POS.

    > Neil

+ Reply to Thread