3c sticky casing? - Scion

This is a discussion on 3c sticky casing? - Scion ; Hiyas. I have a 3c from around 1996. The case is covered by some sticky stuff which isn't coming off. Its like the rubber casing has melted. The 3c itself had long since been neglected. The main battery case had ...

  1. 3c sticky casing?

    Hiyas. I have a 3c from around 1996. The case is covered by some sticky
    stuff which isn't coming off. Its like the rubber casing has melted.

    The 3c itself had long since been neglected. The main battery case had
    broken so I couldn't use it. I stashed it in the attic. I found it again
    recently, finding the case all sticky.

    Back when the 3c itself broke, I replaced it with a Palm, but found I hated
    the non-keyboard. I'd like to buy another 3c, if only for the scrabble and
    monopoly cartridges I have. But... will I find the case all sticky again?

    Anyone have ideas on how it happened please? (And how can stop it?)

    Many thanks.

    Bill, ikky.

    --
    http://billpg.me.uk/
    usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk

  2. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    Bill Godfrey wrote:

    > > The casing of earlier 3cs flaked and that may have happened to
    > > yours. They had a coating to comply with a draft EU requirement
    > > that was dropped. Maybe that happened to yours and the casing
    > > was somehow softened or partially dissolved.

    > Would all of the same batch as mine all have gone sticky by now?

    Oh yuk.... Mine has too. I haven't looked at it for a while, but now I
    find the inside of the leather casing that I put it in has stuck to it.
    I never liked that coating in the first place.

    How did your battery compartment break?

    If you're looking for a replacement, the 3mx was far faster and didn't
    have the nasty coating. But the battery case broke in the same way.
    (This thread has got me wondering whether I should try selling mine,
    even though I live in Japan?)

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

  3. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    log.NO.SPAM.HERE@gol.com (Me) wrote:
    > Oh yuk.... Mine has too. I haven't looked at it for a while, but now I
    > find the inside of the leather casing that I put it in has stuck to it.

    Did you leave it in a cold location, perchance?

    > How did your battery compartment break?

    Theres a bit of metal that joins the two batteries together. The piece of
    plastic holding it had broken off and the piece of metal itself had been
    lost. I found crumpled up and compressed foil did the job, but only for a
    short while.

    > If you're looking for a replacement, the 3mx was far faster and didn't
    > have the nasty coating. But the battery case broke in the same way.

    I'll have a read of the various FAQs and spec sheets. Good idea if it fits.

    By the way, is there a modern Psion (or similar) with a good keyboard and a
    USB connector? (I am serial-port-less.)

    Bill, http://billpg.me.uk/2005/01/when-we-...red-psion.html

    --
    http://billpg.me.uk/
    usenet(at)billpg(dot)me(dot)uk

  4. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    Bill Godfrey wrote:

    > log.NO.SPAM.HERE@gol.com (Me) wrote:
    > > Oh yuk.... Mine has too. I haven't looked at it for a while, but now I
    > > find the inside of the leather casing that I put it in has stuck to it.

    > Did you leave it in a cold location, perchance?

    Nope. OK, so maybe this room falls below freezing at times (and,
    conversely, gets very hot in summer when the air-con isn't on), but I'm
    not sure that's enough to cause this.

    > > How did your battery compartment break?

    > Theres a bit of metal that joins the two batteries together. The piece of
    > plastic holding it had broken off and the piece of metal itself had been
    > lost. I found crumpled up and compressed foil did the job, but only for a
    > short while.

    Aha! That's the exact same way the battery case broke on both my 3c and
    3mx. I reckoned it was because the dreadful "Pure Energy" rechargeables
    I bought so cheap turned out to be slightly bulkier that disposables at
    the "shoulders", so needed some force to get them in. I caught the bits,
    but never got around to sticking them together permanently.

    > > If you're looking for a replacement, the 3mx was far faster and didn't
    > > have the nasty coating. But the battery case broke in the same way.

    > I'll have a read of the various FAQs and spec sheets. Good idea if it fits.
    >
    > By the way, is there a modern Psion (or similar) with a good keyboard and a
    > USB connector? (I am serial-port-less.)

    Nope. *sob*

    > Bill, http://billpg.me.uk/2005/01/when-we-...red-psion.html

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

  5. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    On 08/02/2005 Louise Bremner wrote:

    > > By the way, is there a modern Psion (or similar) with a good
    > > keyboard and a USB connector? (I am serial-port-less.)

    > Nope. sob

    Well, that's not strictly true, depending on the size of your pockets
    :-)

    http://www.clove.co.uk/products/prod..._1_4&intElemen
    t=362

    Or, if you can bear the thought of Windows CE on a Psion:

    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107876

    --
    Jeff Gaines
    Posted with XanaNews 1.17.2.4

  6. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    Jeff Gaines wrote:

    > On 08/02/2005 Louise Bremner wrote:
    >
    > > > By the way, is there a modern Psion (or similar) with a good
    > > > keyboard and a USB connector? (I am serial-port-less.)

    > > Nope. sob

    > Well, that's not strictly true, depending on the size of your pockets
    > :-)
    >
    > http://www.clove.co.uk/products/prod..._1_4&intElemen
    > t=362

    Truenuff.... But I suspected the question related to palm-top-sized
    toys.

    > Or, if you can bear the thought of Windows CE on a Psion:
    >
    > http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=107876

    How... perverse.

    Louise Bremner (log at gol dot com)
    If you want a reply by e-mail, don't write to my Yahoo address!

  7. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    "Mark Wheadon" wrote in message
    | In article <1gro104.1g5zgvn1bi0ykrN%dame_zumari@yahoo.com>,
    | Louise Bremner wrote:
    | >Bill Godfrey wrote:
    | >Nope. OK, so maybe this room falls below freezing at times (and,
    | >conversely, gets very hot in summer when the air-con isn't on), but
    I'm
    | >not sure that's enough to cause this.
    |
    | My 3c went that way - but way before that, a colleague's did the same
    | It was actually her husband's and had been wrapped up in a drawer for
    | a year or so.
    |
    | So my guess is that starving it of ventilation may cause the
    problem -
    | makes it go sticky over time. Perhaps the casing or coating gives off
    | (slight) fumes which need to ventilate or else they soften the
    | coating?
    |
    | Mark

    Or perhaps it was just a poor design, or poor design choice.

  8. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    In article ,
    alan smith wrote:
    >Or perhaps it was just a poor design, or poor design choice.

    My point is that the problem seems to present itself when the Psion is
    in a very enclosed space for a long time (mine had been in my sock
    drawer for many months - and yes, the socks were clean so that wasn't
    the problem :-)

    Mark

  9. Re: 3c sticky casing?

    Louise Bremner wrote:
    >>> How did your battery compartment break?

    >> Theres a bit of metal that joins the two batteries together. The
    >> piece of plastic holding it had broken off and the piece of metal
    >> itself had been lost. I found crumpled up and compressed foil did
    >> the job, but only for a short while.

    > Aha! That's the exact same way the battery case broke on both my 3c
    > and 3mx. I reckoned it was because the dreadful "Pure Energy"
    > rechargeables I bought so cheap turned out to be slightly bulkier
    > that disposables at the "shoulders", so needed some force to get them
    > in. I caught the bits, but never got around to sticking them together
    > permanently.

    My 3mx has broken in the same way (though my 3As never did). And I was
    always careful to press the batteries into the spring contacts at the
    extreme ends to relieve the pressure of insertion on the rather flimsy
    centre contact.

    I had hoped to use one of the several spare 3A battery cases on the 3mx
    until I realised that they have no IR window. Not that I use the IR of the
    3mx but would not want to strip it all out. I know the 3c has IR too because
    although the 3mx manual says "3mx" on the cover inside it refers only to
    "3c"!

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

+ Reply to Thread