Psion 5mx intermittent on/off fault - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx intermittent on/off fault - Scion ; Hi gang I have a Psion 5mx that for the past couple of weeks would suddenly turn off when being used. It seemed to be a poor battery contact problem, (discussed in this group before). But I don't think it ...

  1. Psion 5mx intermittent on/off fault

    Hi gang

    I have a Psion 5mx that for the past couple of weeks would suddenly
    turn off when being used.

    It seemed to be a poor battery contact problem, (discussed in this
    group before). But I don't think it is because it went off this morning
    and now won't turn on no matter what I do. Even when connected to the
    mains adaptor. Might it be a faulty switch? A cracked board?

    Is there anything I could do to check on/off switches and other
    potential faults before sending it off for repair?

    Also, I noticed that POSLtd didn't put the black plastic strip that
    usually covers the flexi last time they fixed it. Is that strip just
    cosmetics or what?

    Thanks for any suggestions.

  2. Re: Psion 5mx intermittent on/off fault

    hi

    I'm no expert, but a relative of mine asked me to look at another of
    his 5mx earlier this week. He said he couldn't turn it on and there was
    no earlier symptoms to suggest anything was about to go wrong.

    I found the backlight still worked, and when I removed and refitted all
    batteries and turned it on, I could hear a 'bleep' to suggest the 5mx
    had been fully reset and was working, but the screen was still blank.

    After taking the 5mx apart, I discovered he had a classic fracture in
    the flexi cable.

    fwiw, he has another 5mx which had flexi repaired by POS last Easter,
    that has just started to fail too (lines across screen etc)

    There's some useful info on www.psionflexi.co.uk including how to do a
    blind data backup.