Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ? - Scion

This is a discussion on Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ? - Scion ; When I bought my Series 3a with a serial interface (the soap on the rope), it came with a diskette containing two mac utilities: MCLINK and PSIONLINK. Unfortunatly, disk problems have resulted in my losing those programs and I can't ...

  1. Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    When I bought my Series 3a with a serial interface (the soap on the
    rope), it came with a diskette containing two mac utilities: MCLINK and PSIONLINK.

    Unfortunatly, disk problems have resulted in my losing those programs
    and I can't seem to locate the old diskette.

    Does anyone know where I could download those from ? (or could anyone
    email them to me ?).

    I tried emailing support@psion.com but the email bounced. Their web site
    doesn't seem to display anmy support email adresses.

  2. Re: Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    Hi,

    I've probably got MCLink somewhere and maybe PsionLink too.

    But I think they may be on Mike McConnell's website,
    http://www.mgmcc.myby.co.uk/.

    If you can't find them, eMail me at the eAddress on my website
    (http://www.philaypee.co.uk/email.html) and I'll look. I can't
    now as Sainsbury' beckons!

    But if you've got a 5mx and can effect a null-modem connection
    between the 3a and the 5mx you will find the 3a can see the 5mx
    and backup and restore to it. Just set the link parameters on
    both machines and use the 3a as master. There won't even be a
    problem with filenames as each file on the 5mx has an 8.3
    filename anyway.

    Actually the link makes the 5mx (and vanilla 5?) drives like
    network drives for the 3a (3c and 3mx too) - effectively they're
    just additional, but slow, drives. You can do quite a lot from
    the 3a.

    But my 5mx can't see the 3a (or the 3c or the 3mx) at all!

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "If it can't be expressed in figures,
    it is not science; it is opinion."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  3. Re: Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    Phil Aypee wrote:
    > But I think they may be on Mike McConnell's website,
    > http://www.mgmcc.myby.co.uk/.

    He's got PSIWIN 1.1 for windows, but I couldn't find the mac software.

    > But if you've got a 5mx and can effect a null-modem connection
    > between the 3a and the 5mx you will find the 3a can see the 5mx

    Yeah, but the problem is that I don't have spare honda connectors to
    make such a cable :-(

    One thing I found interesting though between the 3a and 3c with MCLINK
    is that:

    -for backup, MCLINK didn't create the diredtories on the mac. The
    directory structure had to be there.

    -for restore, MClink just didn't work and I have to use PSIONLINK to
    push the files from the pac to the psion.

    (with the 3a, things worked fine, and I am puzzled by this difference
    since the MAC software shouldn't see a difference in theory).

    > But my 5mx can't see the 3a (or the 3c or the 3mx) at all!

    The series 5 had its NCP implementation castrated with it acting only as
    a server and not a client. The Series 3 networking was far superior to
    that of the 5 because it could act as a client and edit files on another
    system (even MAC long file names could be handled properly). Looked
    suspiciously similar to decnet.

  4. Re: Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    Hi,

    Why do you need Honda connectors?

    I use a null-modem 99 connector that I need to connect my 5mx
    to the modem as the serial lead is null-modem too.

    But I'll look for MCLink. Use my website to send me your
    eAddress and I'll send it. If I can find PsionLink I'll send
    that too, but I don't recall it.

    Take care,
    Phil.

    "If it can't be expressed in figures,
    it is not science; it is opinion."

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  5. Re: Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    Phil Aypee wrote:
    > I use a null-modem 9x9 connector that I need to connect my 5mx
    > to the modem as the serial lead is null-modem too.

    Problem is that I only have 1 cable with a PSION connector. So
    connecting the 5 to the 3c is not quite easy since it needs to psion
    connectors :-)

    > But I'll look for MCLink. Use my website to send me your
    > eAddress and I'll send it. If I can find PsionLink I'll send
    > that too, but I don't recall it.

    I tried to send you an email from your web site. The images are broken
    links to images.com and my browser doesn't try to execute the javascipt
    to decrypt your email address, and I tried to use the form to send you
    an email but I guess you didn't get it. It did seem to pop up lots of
    windows when i pressed send, and I of course, closed the windows as
    quickly as they appeared.

    If you try to conatct me, you just need to remove the "spamnot", or you
    can send to jfmezei at vaxination dot ca

  6. Re: Where to find MClink and PSIONLINK for MAC ?

    As a followup to my original message. I began a program of going through
    any/all diskettes I could find, having realised that my next computer
    will not have any way to read those and figuring I should preserve any
    stuff in there worth preserving.

    Low and behold I did stumble on the unmarked diskette on which the PSION
    link software for the MAC was located. (I had bought the soap on a rope
    with a DB25 plug instead of the MAC one, and had the sales rep give me a
    diskette with the MAC software on it). The MAC had trouble reading the
    diskette, but after putting a cleaning diskette in the drive, it was
    able to read it apparanetly fine :-)

    Now, it is just a question of patching the applications to enable higher
    speeds, but it seems to work again. (Thanks to Google for the
    information on how to patch it).

    In case anyone else is stuck with the same problem of losing this
    software (since it is definitely discontinued and nobody seems to know
    where to get it, I decided to pit it on my web site at
    http://www.vaxination.ca/psion/

    I have no idea if it works on OS-X though.

+ Reply to Thread