5mx stopped working - help! - Scion

This is a discussion on 5mx stopped working - help! - Scion ; Hi all, went to switch on my 5mx the other day and nothing :-(. Tried different batteries, tried a soft reset, tried external power (green LED comes on but nothing). No sound coming from speaker so it's not that the ...

  1. 5mx stopped working - help!

    Hi all,

    went to switch on my 5mx the other day and nothing :-(. Tried different
    batteries, tried a soft reset, tried external power (green LED comes on but
    nothing). No sound coming from speaker so it's not that the screen has
    become disconnected. It should power on when I open the clamshell so it's
    not a keyboard fault....

    Any suggestions other than binning it or sending it away? Anything else I
    have forgotten or I can do by taking it apart.

    Have some data on it that's not backed up (added in the week over Xmas
    whilst away from PC) so would prefer not to lose it if that is still an
    option!

    Have had a few problems getting it to switch on in the past, have had to
    press on button 5 or 6 times before I get anything, but other than that the
    keyboard has always been fine.

    Any suggestions? at my wits' end :-(

    Martin.

  2. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    Send it for repair, I think Pinnock Organiser tries to backup if
    possible- why not email them and ask?

    "kowaeiou" wrote in message
    | Hi all,
    |
    | went to switch on my 5mx the other day and nothing :-(. Tried
    different
    | batteries, tried a soft reset, tried external power (green LED comes
    on but
    | nothing). No sound coming from speaker so it's not that the screen
    has
    | become disconnected. It should power on when I open the clamshell so
    it's
    | not a keyboard fault....
    |
    | Any suggestions other than binning it or sending it away? Anything
    else I
    | have forgotten or I can do by taking it apart.
    |
    | Have some data on it that's not backed up (added in the week over
    Xmas
    | whilst away from PC) so would prefer not to lose it if that is still
    an
    | option!
    |
    | Have had a few problems getting it to switch on in the past, have had
    | press on button 5 or 6 times before I get anything, but other than
    that the
    | keyboard has always been fine.
    |
    | Any suggestions? at my wits' end :-(
    |
    | Martin.

  3. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    In article , Kowaeiou wrote:
    > went to switch on my 5mx the other day and nothing :-(. Tried different
    > batteries, tried a soft reset, tried external power (green LED comes on but
    > nothing). No sound coming from speaker so it's not that the screen has
    > become disconnected. It should power on when I open the clamshell so it's
    > not a keyboard fault....
    >
    > Any suggestions other than binning it or sending it away?

    If you have the data backed-up somewhere else, hard reset? (the switch
    in the back-up battery compartment)

    I also have a memory of something similar happening to me when the
    main and back-up batteries had gone *totally* flat - wouldn't start up at
    all, but retained memory contents.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,

  4. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    "Aidan Karley" wrote in message
    news:VA.000003dc.01f9e577@mynameplus1.demon.co.uk. invalid...
    > In article , Kowaeiou wrote:
    > > went to switch on my 5mx the other day and nothing :-(. Tried different
    > > batteries, tried a soft reset, tried external power (green LED comes on

    but
    > > nothing). No sound coming from speaker so it's not that the screen has
    > > become disconnected. It should power on when I open the clamshell so

    it's
    > > not a keyboard fault....
    > >
    > > Any suggestions other than binning it or sending it away?
    > >

    > If you have the data backed-up somewhere else, hard reset? (the

    switch
    > in the back-up battery compartment)
    >
    > I also have a memory of something similar happening to me when the
    > main and back-up batteries had gone *totally* flat - wouldn't start up at
    > all, but retained memory contents.
    >
    > --
    > Aidan Karley,
    > Aberdeen, Scotland,
    > Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

    Aidan, thanks.

    Isn't that a soft reset? Press the button in the batt-compartment, then
    switch on after releasing it? No joy doing that. If I do a hard reset
    (forgotten exactly how) then I will definitely lose what's in memory.

    Last backup was beginning of Nov so would prefer to retain data if
    possible...

  5. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    Hi Martin,

    Even if you have to get your 5mx fixed by Pinnock and you lose
    your data it's probably worth keeping the 5mx.

    It's an extremely powerful tool and if you use a CF (though not
    all work) then the only stuff at risk is in main memory or open
    files on the CF. If your main batteries are kept sound that risk
    is minimal.

    If you are resigned to losing your data you can fully reset the
    machine by taking out the backup battery and then the main
    batteries and leaving the machine for an hour or so. Replace the
    main batteries and then the backup battery and start it again.
    If it doesn't start you need to send it to Pinnock (or Psion).
    If it does, make sure the batteries are properly charged, put in
    the right time and date, restore what you can and carry on!

    Take care,
    Phil.

    http://www.philaypee.co.uk/

  6. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    In article , Kowaeiou wrote:
    > Isn't that a soft reset? Press the button in the batt-compartment, then
    > switch on after releasing it?

    You're right. My memory is going. Soft reset is "press the switch
    then switch on" as you describe. Hard reset is "soft reset but press and
    hold [key] while switching on". Unfortunately the [key] to get a hard
    reset varies with different models, and I've lost my manual.

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

  7. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    In article <4d271f2c5cquattrocchi@ww.co.nz>, Quattrocchi wrote:
    > .... both shift keys together

    That's one I don't think I've tried. I feel a back-up coming on
    .

    --
    Aidan Karley,
    Aberdeen, Scotland,
    Location: 5710'11" N, 0208'43" W (sub-tropical Aberdeen), 0.021233

  8. Re: 5mx stopped working - help!

    "kowaeiou" wrote in message
    > Isn't that a soft reset? Press the button in the batt-compartment, then
    > switch on after releasing it? No joy doing that. If I do a hard reset
    > (forgotten exactly how) then I will definitely lose what's in memory.

    Can I just say: thank you. Thank you a million times.

    I've just discovered my Psion dead today after a battery change - even
    before the change there were no signs of life. One of the AAs was totally
    dead, and I was worried the backup cell had discharged too. I really thought
    I'd lost my 5mx and all its data. So, I searched on Google, found this
    group, and this message. One soft reset later, my baby is back. I am backing
    it up as we speak.

    Once again, thanks very much!

    Cheers,
    Darren Hague