Serial to USB - Scion

This is a discussion on Serial to USB - Scion ; My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO serial port... The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for toffee with Psiwin Anyone any good suggestions One point - the laptops got ...

  1. Serial to USB

    My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    serial port...
    The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for
    toffee with Psiwin
    Anyone any good suggestions

    One point - the laptops got USb 2 if that makes any difference

    War stories happily listened to!

    Steve

  2. Re: Serial to USB

    On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 19:56:34 +0000 (UTC), Steve R
    wrote:

    >My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    >serial port...
    >The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for
    >toffee with Psiwin
    >Anyone any good suggestions

    I can't help with the problem directly, because when I started using a
    serial-less laptop I got myself a compactflash->pcmcia adapter. Copy
    C: to a backups dir on D:, pop the CF out and stick it in the laptop.

    SIS and data files can be copied onto the CF for use.

    My serial cable has been unused for a couple of years, now. But then,
    I don't use any email/addressbook/whatever synching (due to disliking
    every PC-end client that syncs), so this obviously won't work for
    everyone.

    Cheers - Jaimie
    --
    "By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll become happy;
    if you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher." - Socrates

  3. Re: Serial to USB

    >>My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    >>serial port...

    I had the same problem with a palm a year or two ago I bought a
    usb-serial lead from ebuyer
    Quickfind code: 40608 http://www.ebuyer.co.uk
    for under ten pounds. At the time with windows 98 it would sync the
    palm but nothing else quite worked.
    But since then I have upgraded to windows xp and downloaded the latest
    drivers and it works with anything. I even run my serial modem though
    it when need to and it works perfectly. Just appears as com3 in
    device manager. I don't know if it would now work in windows 98 with
    the new drivers or not but you no doubt have xp anyway. Be sure to
    read the comments on ebuyer and they say were to download the latest
    drivers from. Actually quite handy to have a serial port on a lead
    were you can reach it easily if like me you have a family with a
    psion, palm and serial modem which need to be swapped over constantly.
    A good buy I think.

  4. Re: Serial to USB

    "Steve R" wrote in message
    > My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    > serial port...
    > The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for
    > toffee with Psiwin
    > Anyone any good suggestions
    >
    > One point - the laptops got USb 2 if that makes any difference
    >
    > War stories happily listened to!

    WinCim does not like USB to RS232 converters. If it can be made to work,
    the transfer rate is extremely slow as it seems to work in bursts.

    Ian.

  5. Re: Serial to USB

    >I had the same problem with a palm a year or two ago I bought a
    >usb-serial lead from ebuyer
    > Quickfind code: 40608 http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

    Ooh sod. Maybe you should ignore this actually. Sorry. I just tried
    hooking up the psion and it does not seem to like psiwin at the
    moment. Don't know why. Could have sworn I used to connect though it
    but perhaps I was mistaken, don't back it up very often. I will have a
    fiddle and see it it starts workning but does not look hugely
    hopefull.

    Sorry

    I see expansys has a cable for twice as much which they claim actually
    works with psions

  6. Re: Serial to USB

    >>I had the same problem with a palm a year or two ago I bought a
    >>usb-serial lead from ebuyer
    >> Quickfind code: 40608 http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

    >Ooh sod. Maybe you should ignore this actually. Sorry. I just tried
    >hooking up the psion and it does not seem to like psiwin

    Hang on I just had a fiddle and it seems a bit happier. I restarted
    and shut down my internet and wireless networks and went into device
    manager were I reduced the serial-usb speed to 56700 or something and
    psiwin then connected instantly event though both it and the psion
    were set to 115,500 or thereabouts. I backed up successfully and
    peered at my files with my psion but I did not do a syncronise because
    I don't actually have anything to syn. My whole system felt a little
    flakier but I imagine that either my usb adsl frog or wireless gadget
    does not like the usb psion but who knows. I have removed it from the
    startup menu and we will see.

    Anway it can clearly be made to work for a back up though I don't know
    for syncs. Who knows.

  7. Re: Serial to USB

    >My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    >serial port...

    Hmm, it's going out of fashion a bit but I don't suppose your laptop
    has a infra red port? If not you can get an ebuyer usb add on for
    under ten pounds. Something tells me this could be a flaky way to do
    things but looks like much more fun
    I see http://www.pscience5.net/Infrared.htm seem to have the good
    info.

  8. Re: Serial to USB

    I use Java based PsionLink with my iMac G4. So far it's worked
    perfectly with my 5MX

    Check it out

    http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/

    Steve R wrote:
    > My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    > serial port...
    > The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for
    > toffee with Psiwin
    > Anyone any good suggestions
    >
    > One point - the laptops got USb 2 if that makes any difference
    >
    > War stories happily listened to!
    >
    > Steve

  9. Re: Serial to USB

    On 14 Dec 2004 05:34:50 -0800, "Noah Spamm"
    wrote:

    >I use Java based PsionLink with my iMac G4. So far it's worked
    >perfectly with my 5MX
    >
    >Check it out
    >
    >http://www.littlespikeyland.com/psionlink/
    >

    >Steve R wrote:
    >> My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    >> serial port...
    >> The USB to Serial convertor on the USB hub provided doesnt work for
    >> toffee with Psiwin
    >> Anyone any good suggestions
    >>
    >> One point - the laptops got USb 2 if that makes any difference
    >>
    >> War stories happily listened to!
    >>
    >> Steve

    Hi

    Maplins have a USB to Serial converter that works fine.

    It installs itself as COM 5, but a trip to device manager, ports, and
    the advanced setting on the adaptor entry has it as COM 1.

    I must say that it still takes a secod try to get a connection, but it
    does connect quite happily at maximum for a Psion 5mx.

    Rik

  10. Re: Serial to USB

    ff wrote:
    >>I had the same problem with a palm a year or two ago I bought a
    >>usb-serial lead from ebuyer
    >>Quickfind code: 40608 http://www.ebuyer.co.uk

    > Ooh sod. Maybe you should ignore this actually. Sorry. I just tried
    > hooking up the psion and it does not seem to like psiwin at the
    > moment. Don't know why. Could have sworn I used to connect though it
    > but perhaps I was mistaken, don't back it up very often. I will have a
    > fiddle and see it it starts workning but does not look hugely
    > hopefull.
    >
    > Sorry
    >
    > I see expansys has a cable for twice as much which they claim actually
    > works with psions

    Friend of mine just brought one of these..(the Ebuyer one)
    Worked flawlessly
    I'm off to buy one now..

    Steve!

  11. Re: Serial to USB

    "ff" wrote in message
    > >My empolyer - bless his socks...just gave me a new laptop...and NO
    > >serial port...

    > Hmm, it's going out of fashion a bit but I don't suppose your laptop
    > has a infra red port? If not you can get an ebuyer usb add on for
    > under ten pounds. Something tells me this could be a flaky way to do
    > things but looks like much more fun
    > I see http://www.pscience5.net/Infrared.htm seem to have the good
    > info.

    Unless you run something older than Windows 98, it won't work out of the
    box.

    The Psion uses the WinComm protocol. Windows ME, 2000 and XP use only IRDA.
    The WinComm is in the build but buried. It is (or used to be) available as
    a third party add on which enabled it.

+ Reply to Thread