backup (Linux) disconnects Revo - Scion

This is a discussion on backup (Linux) disconnects Revo - Scion ; Hi, I use the plptools for Linux to exchange, backup and install my Revo. But during my backup-attempts the psion-nfs-demon (plpnfsd) exits unexpected. (The Revo is connected via the serial port ttyS0). The Revo also sometimes disconnects during installations and ...

  1. backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Hi,

    I use the plptools for Linux to exchange, backup and install my Revo. But
    during my backup-attempts the psion-nfs-demon (plpnfsd) exits unexpected.
    (The Revo is connected via the serial port ttyS0). The Revo also sometimes
    disconnects during installations and file transports. But that is not
    bothering me, because I can copy or install for a second time and that
    often does the trick. So it seems to me that exchanging data increases
    the probability of disconnection. And the backup process maybe lasts too
    long. By the way : it doesn't matter weather I use Kpsion (a graphical
    front end) or use the command line.

    Does anyone knows a cure?

    Thanx,

    Klaus

    _ ______ |
    | | /\_____| | Klaus Täger - mail@klaus-taeger.de
    | |/ / | | | GnuPG-Public-Key auf Anfrage oder meiner Seite,
    | |\ \ | | | GnuPG-Public-Key on request or at my home page:
    |_| \_\|_| | www.klaus-taeger.de

  2. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Klaus Taeger wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I use the plptools for Linux to exchange, backup and install my Revo. But
    > during my backup-attempts the psion-nfs-demon (plpnfsd) exits unexpected.
    > (The Revo is connected via the serial port ttyS0). The Revo also sometimes
    > disconnects during installations and file transports. But that is not
    > bothering me, because I can copy or install for a second time and that
    > often does the trick. So it seems to me that exchanging data increases
    > the probability of disconnection. And the backup process maybe lasts too
    > long. By the way : it doesn't matter weather I use Kpsion (a graphical
    > front end) or use the command line.
    >
    > Does anyone knows a cure?
    >
    > Thanx,
    >
    > Klaus

    Put the Revo on is docking station with the AC and set the on/off switch in
    the control panel to "Do not power off when on AC".

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  3. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Am 19. 8. schrieb AM Christophe über "Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo" :
    AC >
    AC >Put the Revo on is docking station with the AC and set the on/off switch in
    AC >the control panel to "Do not power off when on AC".
    AC >
    AC >

    the Revo doesn't turn off, it disconnects - the Link turns from active to
    off

  4. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Klaus Taeger wrote:

    > Am 19. 8. schrieb AM Christophe über "Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo"
    > : AC >
    > AC >Put the Revo on is docking station with the AC and set the on/off
    > switch in AC >the control panel to "Do not power off when on AC".
    > AC >
    > AC >
    >
    > the Revo doesn't turn off, it disconnects - the Link turns from active to
    > off

    That doesn't change the fact that it will try to poweroff.
    This problem has been reported 100 000 time to Psion France support service
    (the old name of the French Psion distributor).

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)

  5. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Am 19. 8. schrieb AM Christophe über "Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo" :
    AC >> the Revo doesn't turn off, it disconnects - the Link turns from active to
    AC >> off
    AC >
    AC >
    AC >That doesn't change the fact that it will try to poweroff.
    AC >This problem has been reported 100 000 time to Psion France support service
    AC >(the old name of the French Psion distributor).

    Okay, nice fact, but it does not help me at all - because the Revo DOESN'T
    turn off, but disconnects itself from the computer while the Revo
    stays powered.

    So I remain hopeful to receive helpful hints.

  6. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    Klaus Taeger wrote on Thu, 19 Aug 2004 19:45:45 +0200...
    > AC >> the Revo doesn't turn off, it disconnects - the Link turns from active to
    > AC >> off
    > AC >
    > AC >That doesn't change the fact that it will try to poweroff.
    > AC >This problem has been reported 100 000 time to Psion France support service
    > AC >(the old name of the French Psion distributor).
    >
    > Okay, nice fact, but it does not help me at all - because the Revo DOESN'T
    > turn off, but disconnects itself from the computer while the Revo
    > stays powered.
    >
    > So I remain hopeful to receive helpful hints.

    I think you are missing his point - which is that the Revo CAN'T
    stay off while your PC is trying to talk to it, but that it apparently
    still tries to turn off, and that this (failed) attempt disrupts the
    connection.

    So I suggest you try his suggestion, even if it does seem strange!
    ---
    Chris Handley

  7. Re: backup (Linux) disconnects Revo

    In article <4125C7C5.MD-1.4.4.Read.My.Sig@bottom.of.email.invalid>,
    Chris wrote:
    >So I suggest you try his suggestion, even if it does seem strange!

    I'd go along with that - from memory (it was a long time ago) - my 5mx
    would turn of (very) briefly before being turned back on by the serial
    comms, which would mess up any synch in progress.

    Mark (who still has revo shareware available at http://i.am/MarkSoft)

+ Reply to Thread