More on CF - Scion

This is a discussion on More on CF - Scion ; I MAY have solved my CF problems. These arose following the backup of a Psion 5 to a 5mx. It appears that doing this messes up some of the mx settings - specifically Word, but presumably other things in the ...

  1. More on CF

    I MAY have solved my CF problems. These arose following the backup of a
    Psion 5 to a 5mx. It appears that doing this messes up some of the mx
    settings - specifically Word, but presumably other things in the guts of
    the machine.

    The 128 CF disk corrupted constantly although it worked fine on the
    original 5. However, after a hard reset (which I had to do to get Word
    working properly), I reformatted the disk on the old machine via PsiWin
    and then again on the 5mx directly and it now appears to be storing data
    ok.

    As a matter of interest (?) the Word problem was that it reverted to the
    old Psion 5 settings, losing the template dialogues in the File Menu and
    therefore couldn't write a new file. Very odd.

    There must be a logical way of moving everything from a 5 to an mx, but
    I haven't found it. Data is OK - did that via various CFs but it seems
    that all prgrams have to be reinstalled directly, which is a bugger as
    most of them are in a a banana box somewhere in my partner's mother's
    garage... as are all the registration codes for the shareware:-(

  2. Re: More on CF

    Hi Arthur,

    thus spoke Arthur Marshall:
    [...]
    > The 128 CF disk corrupted constantly although it worked fine on
    > the original 5. However, after a hard reset (which I had to do
    > to get Word working properly), I reformatted the disk on the
    > old machine via PsiWin and then again on the 5mx directly and
    > it now appears to be storing data ok.

    Keep your backup up2date! I did it the same way (nearly, as I
    don't have an old 5, thus formatted the CF @ PC), with the same
    result, but after a few days of reading from /writing to the CF,
    the "Disk corrupt" problem raises again.

    Greets, Dirk

  3. Re: More on CF

    The message
    from Dirk G. Straka contains these words:

    > Hi Arthur,

    > thus spoke Arthur Marshall:

    > > it now appears to be storing data ok.

    > Keep your backup up2date! I did it the same way (nearly, as I
    > don't have an old 5, thus formatted the CF @ PC), with the same
    > result, but after a few days of reading from /writing to the CF,
    > the "Disk corrupt" problem raises again.

    Ha! How right you are! Back to the drawing board.

    --
    Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/

  4. Re: More on CF

    Hi Arthur,

    thus spoke Arthur Marshall:
    [...]
    > > Keep your backup up2date! I did it the same way (nearly, as I
    > > don't have an old 5, thus formatted the CF @ PC), with the same
    > > result, but after a few days of reading from /writing to the CF,
    > > the "Disk corrupt" problem raises again.

    > Ha! How right you are! Back to the drawing board.

    Perhaps this one may help:
    <411E3F90.MD-1.4.4.Read.My.Sig@Bottom.Of.Email.invalid>

    Greets, Dirk - desperately waiting for his replacement card

+ Reply to Thread