Psion 5mx Word problem - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5mx Word problem - Scion ; When I tap on the Word icon, it opens up the last used file as usual. However, if I then try to create a new file with a new name, I get an error message and it closes Word. The ...

  1. Psion 5mx Word problem

    When I tap on the Word icon, it opens up the last used file as usual.
    However, if I then try to create a new file with a new name, I get an
    error message and it closes Word.

    The error is called "Word" and the error type is 1.

    Can anyone shed any light on this?

  2. Re: Psion 5mx Word problem

    "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > When I tap on the Word icon, it opens up the last used file as usual.
    > However, if I then try to create a new file with a new name, I get an
    > error message and it closes Word.
    >
    > The error is called "Word" and the error type is 1.
    >
    > Can anyone shed any light on this?

    You've tried a soft reset?
    (If you haven't don't forget to backup first).

  3. Re: Psion 5mx Word problem

    What is a soft reset?

    Fred

    "AlanS" wrote in message

    > "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > > When I tap on the Word icon, it opens up the last used file as usual.
    > > However, if I then try to create a new file with a new name, I get an
    > > error message and it closes Word.
    > >
    > > The error is called "Word" and the error type is 1.
    > >
    > > Can anyone shed any light on this?

    > You've tried a soft reset?
    > (If you haven't don't forget to backup first).

  4. Re: Psion 5mx Word problem

    > What is a soft reset?

    You don't read manuals or even partsd of them, do you? Same as a re-boot on
    a PC.

    Richard

    "Fred Hughes" wrote in message
    > Fred
    >
    > "AlanS" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > > > When I tap on the Word icon, it opens up the last used file as usual.
    > > > However, if I then try to create a new file with a new name, I get an
    > > > error message and it closes Word.
    > > >
    > > > The error is called "Word" and the error type is 1.
    > > >
    > > > Can anyone shed any light on this?

    > > You've tried a soft reset?
    > > (If you haven't don't forget to backup first).

  5. Re: Psion 5mx Word problem

    The message
    from "Fred Hughes" contains these words:

    > What is a soft reset?

    It's the one where you push the button by the backup battery, but
    without holding down the shift keys. It should reset the Psion without
    losing data.

    My problem was sorted in the end but I had to do a hard reset and start
    again.

    --
    Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/

  6. Re: Psion 5mx Word problem

    "Fred Hughes" wrote in message news:...
    > What is a soft reset?

    Open the backup battery compartment; punch something like a bent
    paperclip in the little bronze colored hole next to the backup
    battery; close backup battery compartment; open the 5mx' press 'Esc';
    you'll get a beep; the 5mx will restart. It's like a re-boot on a PC.
    Get yourself ResetPlus (http://www.mypsion.ru/resetplus.php) and also,
    at the same site get AlarmPlus. With those 2 you'll lose hardly any of
    your settings after a soft reset.

    BTW, a hard reset is done the same way, except hold down both Shift
    keys while tapping Esc - that sets your 5mx's C drive back to factory
    specs, wiping out everything you put on the C drive. So make sure to
    have a backup before doing a hard reset. It won't affect your D drive.

    Keith

+ Reply to Thread