Linking Psion7 to a Wireless Network using Netgear M521 - Scion

This is a discussion on Linking Psion7 to a Wireless Network using Netgear M521 - Scion ; I have a Wireless network set up at home working principally with two desktops and a laptop. Has anyone managed to link in a Psion 7 to such a network. I would be using a Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card ...

  1. Linking Psion7 to a Wireless Network using Netgear M521

    I have a Wireless network set up at home working principally with two
    desktops and a laptop.

    Has anyone managed to link in a Psion 7 to such a network. I would be
    using a Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card (MA521)?

    Geoff

  2. Re: Linking Psion7 to a Wireless Network using Netgear M521

    The last time I remember it being discussed, the consensus was that the 7 can't
    provide enough power to the pcmcia slot. I could be wrong or out of date.

    "Geoff W" wrote in message
    news:3c66ae08.0408102248.6835280a@posting.google.c om...
    > I have a Wireless network set up at home working principally with two
    > desktops and a laptop.
    >
    > Has anyone managed to link in a Psion 7 to such a network. I would be
    > using a Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card (MA521)?
    >
    > Geoff

  3. Re: Linking Psion7 to a Wireless Network using Netgear M521

    > >> Has anyone managed to link in a Psion 7 to such a network. I would be
    > >> using a Netgear 802.11b Wireless PC Card (MA521)?

    > > The last time I remember it being discussed, the consensus was that
    > > the 7 can't provide enough power to the pcmcia slot. I could be wrong
    > > or out of date.

    > I'm fairly certain this is wrong (though it does seem to be the common
    > consensus).

    I bought a Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP 11Mbps PC card to try in my 7book
    (an early S7 upgraded with a netBook ROM), for web browsing,
    knowing that it might not work due to a power availability problem.
    (I knew that copying between two CF cards does crash the machine.)

    It's actually very reliable. Occasionally it's stubborn to make a connection
    at first,
    but 95% of the time when I want to surf the web it connects instantly.
    (I use a DG834G ADSL router.)

    It's excellent being able to use the netBook to do so much without having
    to be tethered to a PC all the time (I now have over 1200 databases,
    140 MB of them :-)
    Battery life is still respectable as well (3.5 hrs surfing even with a well
    used 4-5
    year old battery and the screen brightness on max).

    Paul T

+ Reply to Thread