Psion 5 to mx - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 5 to mx - Scion ; My Psion 5 has suffered terminal screen death, although it still functions ok if one can work out where to put the pointer. I have acquired a 5MX vie Ebay but with no manual. Is it possible to move all ...

  1. Psion 5 to mx

    My Psion 5 has suffered terminal screen death, although it still
    functions ok if one can work out where to put the pointer. I have
    acquired a 5MX vie Ebay but with no manual.

    Is it possible to move all the data from one to the other? The original
    has been backed up - can I just do a restore to the new machine? And
    will the mx read the flash disk without any problems?

    Finally, is there a manual on PDF amywhere - an do I need one? I seem to
    to remember that the web browser software is different. All advice
    welcome.

    Thanks.

    --
    Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/

  2. Re: Psion 5 to mx

    Hi Arthur

    I can't be 100% sure, but when I went from my old series 3a to the 3mx there
    was no problem whatever (some games went twice as fast but there was a
    'slow' mode just for them - I imagine it's the same on the 5mx). Just back
    up the old system with PsiWin and restore to the new one.

    As for manuals - try a google search - or put a 'wanted' ad in MicroMart.
    Psions are mostly so intuitive that you can work stuff out by
    experimenting - anyway, there is usually a 'help' tab somewhere on the menu
    bar.

    Mike W (still using my 3mx despite newer and 'better' machines now
    available)

    "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > My Psion 5 has suffered terminal screen death, although it still
    > functions ok if one can work out where to put the pointer. I have
    > acquired a 5MX vie Ebay but with no manual.
    >
    > Is it possible to move all the data from one to the other? The original
    > has been backed up - can I just do a restore to the new machine? And
    > will the mx read the flash disk without any problems?
    >
    > Finally, is there a manual on PDF amywhere - an do I need one? I seem to
    > to remember that the web browser software is different. All advice
    > welcome.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/
    > nb Lord Byron's Maggot

  3. Re: Psion 5 to mx

    hi

    when you first connect the new machine, it'll ask you if you want to treat
    it as a new one or keep a different machine's settings. if you do that, you
    can try restoring all the backed up files and see how it goes. there might
    be a few incompatible things, but i doubt you'll crash it big time. the main
    difference is the contacts app which isn't on the 5, but there might be a
    way to get your old data file of contacts across to that, but i'm not sure.

    if it all goes wrong, just do a hard reset and manually restore just your
    own files and then reinstall all the extra apps you want, one by one. that's
    the belt and braces way.

    good luck - just make sure you back up your back up before you start messing
    around, just in case :-)

    cheers

    fiev

    "Arthur Marshall" wrote in message
    > My Psion 5 has suffered terminal screen death, although it still
    > functions ok if one can work out where to put the pointer. I have
    > acquired a 5MX vie Ebay but with no manual.
    >
    > Is it possible to move all the data from one to the other? The original
    > has been backed up - can I just do a restore to the new machine? And
    > will the mx read the flash disk without any problems?
    >
    > Finally, is there a manual on PDF amywhere - an do I need one? I seem to
    > to remember that the web browser software is different. All advice
    > welcome.
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > --
    > Arthur Marshall - Caller for Traditional Dances
    > http://www.users.zetnet.co.uk/barndancer/
    > nb Lord Byron's Maggot

+ Reply to Thread