Disc Corrupt after copying to it - Scion

This is a discussion on Disc Corrupt after copying to it - Scion ; I've just acquired a series 5, actually an early one (v 1.01), and was copying a .txt file from its C-drive to the 10MB Psion branded Compact Flash, when it suddenly during copying reported 'disc corrupt' in the system view ...

  1. Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    I've just acquired a series 5, actually an early one (v 1.01), and was
    copying a .txt file from its C-drive to the 10MB Psion branded Compact
    Flash, when it suddenly during copying reported 'disc corrupt' in the
    system view for the D-drive.

    I popped the CF into a 6in1 card reader and could see the files were still
    there, so perhaps the EPOC file system is a little fussier. But what
    could've gone wrong?

    I cured it I think this way. Saved all the data onto my desktop machine,
    popped the CF into the Psion and reformatted it, then loaded the data back
    onto it.

    Fixed. But is there any reason I should suspect this CF?

    It also has a few city maps (Street Planner 99) on it, so that app
    requires the CF for extra storage.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Adam
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  2. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "pochino" wrote in message
    > I've just acquired a series 5, actually an early one (v 1.01), and was
    > copying a .txt file from its C-drive to the 10MB Psion branded Compact
    > Flash, when it suddenly during copying reported 'disc corrupt' in the
    > system view for the D-drive.
    >
    > I popped the CF into a 6in1 card reader and could see the files were still
    > there, so perhaps the EPOC file system is a little fussier. But what
    > could've gone wrong?
    >
    > I cured it I think this way. Saved all the data onto my desktop machine,
    > popped the CF into the Psion and reformatted it, then loaded the data back
    > onto it.
    >
    > Fixed. But is there any reason I should suspect this CF?
    >
    > It also has a few city maps (Street Planner 99) on it, so that app
    > requires the CF for extra storage.
    >
    > Brian
    >
    > --
    > Brian Adam
    > Auckland NEW ZEALAND

    The Psion formats the card slightly differently to a pc- one bit is
    different. Don't use pc disk repair tools on it- it can corrupt the files on
    the CF. And you can get corruption in the Psion when the batteries get low-
    writes don't get completed and you don't always seem to get warnings.
    Check the newsgroup archives for past postings over many years on these
    issues.

  3. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    In article ,
    AlanS wrote:
    > "pochino" wrote in message
    > > ... when it suddenly during copying reported 'disc corrupt'

    > The Psion formats the card slightly differently to a pc- one bit is
    > different. Don't use pc disk repair tools on it- it can corrupt the
    > files on the CF. And you can get corruption in the Psion when the
    > batteries get low- writes don't get completed and you don't always seem
    > to get warnings. Check the newsgroup archives for past postings over
    > many years on these issues.

    Thanks. Battery was low-ish.
    Luckily I was able to recover all the data by reading the 'corrupt' card
    on a RISC OS and I formatted the card in the psion.

    Brian

    --
    Brian Adam
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  4. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    thus spoke pochino:
    > I've just acquired a series 5, actually an early one (v 1.01),
    > and was copying a .txt file from its C-drive to the 10MB Psion
    > branded Compact Flash, when it suddenly during copying reported
    > 'disc corrupt' in the system view for the D-drive.

    Same problem here, with a 5mxPro, 32 MB: I bought a Kingston 256
    MB CF card yesterday and tried to restore my data using PsiWin.
    But it doesn't work at all. I managed to copy ~24 MB onto the
    CF, then the Psion tells me "Unable to finish writing, retry or
    data will be lost - Enter to try again, ESC to abort".

    Pressed Enter several times, but to no avail. After pressing ESC
    the Psion tells me "Disk corrupt". Following the memory gauge,
    there are 221,9 MB (of ~245 at the beginning) left on the device.

    No way to reformat, even EDU refuses to format it. Telling me
    "Disk is in use".

    Any suggestions?

    Thx in advance, Dirk

  5. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    In article <2qibh0l62t6j5iq6913v569303l3jc5ps0@130.133.1.4>,
    Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    > Same problem here, with a 5mxPro, 32 MB: I bought a Kingston 256
    > MB CF card yesterday and tried to restore my data using PsiWin.
    > But it doesn't work at all. I managed to copy ~24 MB onto the
    > CF, then the Psion tells me "Unable to finish writing, retry or
    > data will be lost - Enter to try again, ESC to abort".

    > Pressed Enter several times, but to no avail. After pressing ESC
    > the Psion tells me "Disk corrupt". Following the memory gauge,
    > there are 221,9 MB (of ~245 at the beginning) left on the device.

    > No way to reformat, even EDU refuses to format it. Telling me
    > "Disk is in use".

    1. What's EDU?

    2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    3. Can you read the CF any other way than PsiWin? Like a card reader?

    Brian

  6. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "brian" wrote in message
    > In article <2qibh0l62t6j5iq6913v569303l3jc5ps0@130.133.1.4>,
    > Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    > > Same problem here, with a 5mxPro, 32 MB: I bought a Kingston 256
    > > MB CF card yesterday and tried to restore my data using PsiWin.
    > > But it doesn't work at all. I managed to copy ~24 MB onto the
    > > CF, then the Psion tells me "Unable to finish writing, retry or
    > > data will be lost - Enter to try again, ESC to abort".

    > > Pressed Enter several times, but to no avail. After pressing ESC
    > > the Psion tells me "Disk corrupt". Following the memory gauge,
    > > there are 221,9 MB (of ~245 at the beginning) left on the device.

    > > No way to reformat, even EDU refuses to format it. Telling me
    > > "Disk is in use".

    > 1. What's EDU?
    >
    > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?
    >
    > 3. Can you read the CF any other way than PsiWin? Like a card reader?
    >

    > Brian

    EDU is Ateliers Essential Disk Utilities. A good but ridiculously expensive
    set of utilities.

  7. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Hi brian,

    thus spoke brian:
    > 1. What's EDU?

    Essential Disk Utilities. The only way (AFAIK) to put
    an acceptable Psion compatible file system on a CF card.
    FYI: Psion uses FAT12 with 128(!) sectors per cluster
    (thus disk allocation uses slices of 64 kByte, IOW: you
    will have tons of slack, resp. wasted disk space).

    Atelier's recommendation is FAT16 with 8 sectors per
    cluster, file size minimum (and slices, too, of course)
    is therefore reduced to 4 kByte.

    > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    "Disk is in use".

    > 3. Can you read the CF any other way than PsiWin? Like
    > a card reader?

    I don't have a CF-Card-Reader yet. Going to buy one
    tomorrow. But, nevertheless, AFAIK it's not a good idea
    to format a Psion CF card with DOS/Win Tools. File systems
    seem to differ at one byte (as I read in another posting).

    Greets, Dirk

  8. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    In article ,
    Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    > > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    > No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    > resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    > "Disk is in use".

    There must be corrupt and corrupt then. I could reformat my corrupt CF in
    the 5mx.

    > > 3. Can you read the CF any other way than PsiWin? Like
    > > a card reader?

    > I don't have a CF-Card-Reader yet. Going to buy one
    > tomorrow. But, nevertheless, AFAIK it's not a good idea

    > to format a Psion CF card with DOS/Win Tools.

    You'll likely recover the data, though.

    Good luck

    Brian

    --
    Brian Adam
    Auckland NEW ZEALAND

  9. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "pochino" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    > > > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    > > No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    > > resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    > > "Disk is in use".

    > There must be corrupt and corrupt then. I could reformat my corrupt CF in
    > the 5mx.

    I have a 5mx and you can format a CF using that, but I don't know if you can
    with the 5mx pro. Do you have the pro version, or have access to one to
    confirm it, I thought that the Pro was only German language, not a nz model.
    It has the OS installed to RAM, it's not in ROM like the 5mx and has a
    larger memory- 24Mb I think- to allow for this installation..

  10. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    thus spoke AlanS:
    > > > No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    > > > resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    > > > "Disk is in use".

    > > There must be corrupt and corrupt then. I could reformat
    > > my corrupt CF in the 5mx.

    I suppose it's a CF card problem, too - perhaps it reports s/th
    like "I can not be formatted now as someone's writing on me".

    > I have a 5mx and you can format a CF using that, but I don't
    > know if you can with the 5mx pro.

    Yes, you can, basically. Disk -> Format is in the menu.

    > Do you have the pro version, or have access to one to confirm
    > it, I thought that the Pro was only German language, not a nz
    > model. It has the OS installed to RAM, it's not in ROM like the
    > 5mx and has a larger memory- 24Mb I think- to allow for this
    > installation..

    32 MB, to be precise. ;o)

    Greets, Dirk

  11. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    In article ,
    AlanS wrote:
    > I have a 5mx and you can format a CF using that, but I don't know if you
    > can with the 5mx pro. Do you have the pro version, or have access to one
    > to confirm it,

    No, I don't. So that's interesting. I'm aware of the general differences
    between 5mx and 5mxpro. But there's another: 5mxPro unable to format
    discs.

  12. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Hi pochino,

    thus spoke pochino:
    > No, I don't. So that's interesting. I'm aware of the general
    > differences between 5mx and 5mxpro. But there's another: 5mxPro
    > unable to format discs.

    No, it _is_ able to format disks, of course. But it doesn't let
    me format _this_ disk as it thinks it's busy.

    Greets, Dirk

  13. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "pochino" wrote in message
    > In article ,
    > AlanS wrote:
    > > I have a 5mx and you can format a CF using that, but I don't know if you
    > > can with the 5mx pro. Do you have the pro version, or have access to one
    > > to confirm it,

    > No, I don't. So that's interesting. I'm aware of the general differences
    > between 5mx and 5mxpro. But there's another: 5mxPro unable to format
    > discs.

    The bit you carefully trimmed says:

    In article ,
    Dirk G. Straka wrote:

    > > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    > No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    > resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    > "Disk is in use".

    I had no reason to think there would be any difference, Dirk G. Straka
    confirms that the menu option does exist. If you have a access to an
    alternative machine then try it, or access to a full backup elsewhere try
    resetting the machine then try to format.
    Better than this is to use an alternative method - A CF reader attached to
    your computer (these are relatively inexpensive now, and you then have the
    option of trying disk repair utilities on it too) or try some other CF
    device- A digital camera, mp3 player- if they have a format option.
    A CF reader is a good option- file transfer is far quicker (and I found more
    reliable than PsiWin too), just copy the whole disk to back it up for
    example- I used to back my Psion up to the CF card prior to backing up the
    card itself. Far quicker.
    As a slight aside I could use my digital cameras USB connection as another
    drive (ie as a CF reader) and could access the card and run utilities this
    way. Same for the mp3 player.

  14. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Hi AlanS,

    thus spoke AlanS:
    [...]
    > Better than this is to use an alternative method - A CF reader
    > attached to your computer (these are relatively inexpensive
    > now, and you then have the option of trying disk repair
    > utilities on it too)

    Bought one yesterday. After formatting the CF, using the USB
    Card Reader (FAT16, 245 MB), I was able to read/write it at the
    Psion again. Then I restored my backup to the CF card, using the
    Card Reader again, inserted it into the Psion ... and was able
    to read it! Wow. But after a few write operations the Psion
    complained again: Disk corrupt. ((

    Ok, perhaps the CF was faulty - thus I brought it back to the
    dealer and got a replacement. Want to know my experiences with
    the new one? Just start to read this posting again ... ((((
    Absolutely the same. Sometimes the Psion was able to read the
    CF, but stopped working after some writes. Or it rejects the
    disk immediately. BTW: Although the Psion designates the card
    as corrupt, the files can perfectly be read @ PC. And it makes
    no difference, if I format the CF with Windows or EPOC ...

    Seems as if (my?) Psion doesn't like Kingston CF cards. /

    Anybody around here who uses his Psion with Kingston CF?

    Greets, Dirk

  15. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "Dirk G. Straka" wrote in message
    news:456hh0daedd9tpf3r5febgcjq6cmfdvha9@130.133.1. 4...
    > Hi AlanS,
    >
    > thus spoke AlanS:
    > [...]
    > > Better than this is to use an alternative method - A CF reader
    > > attached to your computer (these are relatively inexpensive
    > > now, and you then have the option of trying disk repair
    > > utilities on it too)

    > Bought one yesterday. After formatting the CF, using the USB
    > Card Reader (FAT16, 245 MB), I was able to read/write it at the
    > Psion again. Then I restored my backup to the CF card, using the
    > Card Reader again, inserted it into the Psion ... and was able
    > to read it! Wow. But after a few write operations the Psion
    > complained again: Disk corrupt. ((
    >
    > Ok, perhaps the CF was faulty - thus I brought it back to the
    > dealer and got a replacement. Want to know my experiences with
    > the new one? Just start to read this posting again ... ((((
    > Absolutely the same. Sometimes the Psion was able to read the
    > CF, but stopped working after some writes. Or it rejects the
    > disk immediately. BTW: Although the Psion designates the card
    > as corrupt, the files can perfectly be read @ PC. And it makes
    > no difference, if I format the CF with Windows or EPOC ...
    >
    > Seems as if (my?) Psion doesn't like Kingston CF cards. /
    >
    > Anybody around here who uses his Psion with Kingston CF?
    >
    > Greets, Dirk

    I've not used a Kingston, but why not exchange it for a different make? If
    the same happens it may be a fault with your Psion. Send it for repair but
    be aware they will probably change the motherboard meaning your machine will
    get a new UID. Some software uses this so you may need to get new
    registration details for some software, or have to reinstall some- Tomtoms
    routing software is one.

  16. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Dirk G. Straka wrote:

    > thus spoke AlanS:
    >
    >>Do you have the pro version, or have access to one to confirm
    >>it, I thought that the Pro was only German language, not a nz
    >>model. It has the OS installed to RAM, it's not in ROM like the
    >>5mx and has a larger memory- 24Mb I think- to allow for this
    >>installation..

    > 32 MB, to be precise. ;o)

    Actually, there are different 5MX Pro models, both with 24 and 32 MB.
    (Mine has 32 MB).
    Since the OS needs about 10-12MB when loaded to RAM the 24 MB model is
    actually *less* value then the 5MX non-pro (except maybe when you want
    to put Linux on it).

    André

  17. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    "André Janz" wrote in message
    > Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    >
    > > thus spoke AlanS:
    > >
    > >>Do you have the pro version, or have access to one to confirm
    > >>it, I thought that the Pro was only German language, not a nz
    > >>model. It has the OS installed to RAM, it's not in ROM like the
    > >>5mx and has a larger memory- 24Mb I think- to allow for this
    > >>installation..

    > > 32 MB, to be precise. ;o)

    > Actually, there are different 5MX Pro models, both with 24 and 32 MB.
    > (Mine has 32 MB).
    > Since the OS needs about 10-12MB when loaded to RAM the 24 MB model is
    > actually *less* value then the 5MX non-pro (except maybe when you want
    > to put Linux on it).
    >
    > André

    Thanks, I thought I recalled a 24Mb model.

  18. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Dirk G. Straka wrote:
    > Seems as if (my?) Psion doesn't like Kingston CF cards. /
    >
    > Anybody around here who uses his Psion with Kingston CF?

    That wouldn't proof anything at all. I had two different SanDisk Ultra
    512MB: One worked, one not. Unfortunatly the one working was not mine
    .. Conclusion: First TRY (at your local dealer) then buy!

    --
    Oliver

  19. Re: Disc Corrupt after copying to it

    Dirk G. Straka wrote on Sun, 08 Aug 2004 21:57:11 +0200...
    > > 2. Can you format it on the 5mxPro?

    > No. Psion just tells me "Disk is corrupt". After soft
    > resetting and removing / re-inserting CF card it says
    > "Disk is in use".

    The partition information is corrupt. You need to delete the old
    partition, and then create a new one. Sadly this requires using FDisk
    (or similar utility) on a Windows computer.
    ---
    Chris Handley
    --
    To get my email address, please visit this web page:
    http://email.cshandley.co.uk

+ Reply to Thread