Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help! - Scion

This is a discussion on Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help! - Scion ; Greetings Psion stalwarts, On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life. I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB ...

  1. Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    Greetings Psion stalwarts,

    On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.

    I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    halts.

    There are probably thousands of files on my disk.

    Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).

    Is there a Psion CF disk utility available that will test/repair for
    corrupt files or disks?

    Has anyone encountered problems with an 128MB SanDisk Psion 5MX combo
    before.

    Is there such thing as a military grade CompactFlash RAM?

    TIA

  2. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "Noah Spamm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:fc1bb0b2.0407210519.c6606b5@posting.google.co m...
    > Greetings Psion stalwarts,
    >
    > On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.

    Join the club.

    > I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    > a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    > it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    > halts.

    > Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    > corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).

    Why not use PsiWin backups?

    > Is there a Psion CF disk utility available that will test/repair for
    > corrupt files or disks?

    Essential disk utilities.

    > Has anyone encountered problems with an 128MB SanDisk Psion 5MX combo
    > before.

    With other CF cards. Tyypically the essential disk utilities repair this without
    any loss of data.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

  3. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "Noah Spamm" wrote in message
    news:fc1bb0b2.0407210519.c6606b5@posting.google.co m...
    > Greetings Psion stalwarts,
    >
    > On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.
    >
    > I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    > a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    > it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    > halts.
    >
    > There are probably thousands of files on my disk.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    > corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).
    >
    > Is there a Psion CF disk utility available that will test/repair for
    > corrupt files or disks?
    >
    > Has anyone encountered problems with an 128MB SanDisk Psion 5MX combo
    > before.
    >
    > Is there such thing as a military grade CompactFlash RAM?

    Ateliers utilities will check the CF in the Psion, expensive though. If you
    use Windows utilities be careful- one of the bits is written differently on
    the Psion and running Windows utilities directly on the CF can cause even
    more problems.

    Most file corruption problems seem to occur when the batteries get low,
    although the Psion itself keeps going- it takes more current to write to CF
    than to read from it, and more than the internal memory needs.
    Rechargeables operate at a lower voltage than alkalines then the voltage
    suddenly drops off. Try sortimg out the files then keep a close eye on the
    voltage- warnings about file write failures don't seem reliable. Monitor
    when you get the problems. I changed to using only good alkalines and not
    running them to death, changing them fairly early- very few issues after
    that.

    Try monitoring when you get the problems, it can be a bit of a pain but can
    save lots of greif if you identify the cause, rather than keep working on
    file repairs.

    Military grade CF would still need high current levels to write- it's more
    likely to be the way they are used than a specific CF fault.

  4. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    How about something like this
    http://www.7dayshop.com/catalog/prod...02&products_id
    =86484

    I have one that is similar and they are superb!

    Paul

    "Noah Spamm" wrote in message
    news:fc1bb0b2.0407210519.c6606b5@posting.google.co m...
    > Greetings Psion stalwarts,
    >
    > On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.
    >
    > I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    > a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    > it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    > halts.
    >
    > There are probably thousands of files on my disk.
    >
    > Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    > corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).
    >
    > Is there a Psion CF disk utility available that will test/repair for
    > corrupt files or disks?
    >
    > Has anyone encountered problems with an 128MB SanDisk Psion 5MX combo
    > before.
    >
    > Is there such thing as a military grade CompactFlash RAM?
    >
    > TIA

  5. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "Volker Hetzer" wrote in message news:...
    > "Noah Spamm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:fc1bb0b2.0407210519.c6606b5@posting.google.co m...
    > > Greetings Psion stalwarts,
    > >
    > > On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.

    > Join the club.
    > >
    > > I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    > > a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    > > it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    > > halts.

    > > Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    > > corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).

    > Why not use PsiWin backups?

    Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't

    D: --> C:

    more efficient than

    D: --> PsiWin --> C:

    Also, I get the impression that PsiWin fails to work with loads of Windows flavors.

    > > Is there a Psion CF disk utility available that will test/repair for
    > > corrupt files or disks?

    > Essential disk utilities.
    > >
    > > Has anyone encountered problems with an 128MB SanDisk Psion 5MX combo
    > > before.

    > With other CF cards. Tyypically the essential disk utilities repair this without
    > any loss of data.
    >
    > Lots of Greetings!
    > Volker

  6. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "AlanS" wrote in message news:...

    > Ateliers utilities will check the CF in the Psion, expensive though. If you

    Couldn't find any reference to Ateliers utilities on Google. Care to
    elaborate

    > use Windows utilities be careful- one of the bits is written differently on
    > the Psion and running Windows utilities directly on the CF can cause even
    > more problems.

    Interesting. Won't take that route.

    > Most file corruption problems seem to occur when the batteries get low,
    > although the Psion itself keeps going- it takes more current to write to CF
    > than to read from it, and more than the internal memory needs.
    > Rechargeables operate at a lower voltage than alkalines then the voltage
    > suddenly drops off. Try sortimg out the files then keep a close eye on the
    > voltage- warnings about file write failures don't seem reliable. Monitor
    > when you get the problems. I changed to using only good alkalines and not
    > running them to death, changing them fairly early- very few issues after
    > that.
    >
    > Try monitoring when you get the problems, it can be a bit of a pain but can
    > save lots of greif if you identify the cause, rather than keep working on
    > file repairs.
    >
    > Military grade CF would still need high current levels to write- it's more
    > likely to be the way they are used than a specific CF fault.

    Very helpful comments thanks. I always use alkalines, but only change
    them when the "battery low cannot write to disk" message appears
    (about every four days the way my machine gets thrashed). Do you think
    larger CF cards require more current? I never had problems with a 96MB
    card.

    Cheers!

  7. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "Noah Spamm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:fc1bb0b2.0407220621.4ace3bad@posting.google.c om...
    > "Volker Hetzer" wrote in message news:...
    > > "Noah Spamm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:fc1bb0b2.0407210519.c6606b5@posting.google.co m...
    > > > Greetings Psion stalwarts,
    > > >
    > > > On my Psion 5MX I run a 128MB SanDisk upon which is written my life.

    > > Join the club.
    > > >
    > > > I usually back the D drive up by copying the entire file structure to
    > > > a hard disk via the Windows 98 USB port. Unfortunately, every so often
    > > > it hits a file that is allegedly corrupt and the copy process simply
    > > > halts.

    > > > Does anyone know of an efficient way of backing up an allegedly
    > > > corrupt 5MX D drive? (Prefer not to use Psiwin).

    > > Why not use PsiWin backups?

    > Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't
    >
    > D: --> C:
    >
    > more efficient than
    >
    > D: --> PsiWin --> C:

    It's faster, but I think you should go for reliability instead of speed.
    PsiWin lets the psion handle the file system stuff so there can't be any
    disagreements between EPOC and Windows with regards to the file
    system structure.
    Also, what takes long is the initial backup. The incremental stuff for me
    is in the range of one minute. (55s-65s)

    > Also, I get the impression that PsiWin fails to work with loads of Windows flavors.

    Could anyone correct me here?
    I've never seen it "fail" when installed freshly on a fresh system of Win98, WinNT, Win2000.
    I haven't seen it on XP yet.
    IMHO it's the updates that are problematic.

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

  8. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    "Noah Spamm" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news:fc1bb0b2.0407220635.252691a@posting.google.co m...
    > "AlanS" wrote in message news:...
    >
    > > Ateliers utilities will check the CF in the Psion, expensive though. If you

    > Couldn't find any reference to Ateliers utilities on Google. Care to
    > elaborate

    they are from Atelier and are called "Essential Disk utilities".

    Lots of Greetings!
    Volker

  9. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    > > Ateliers utilities will check the CF in the Psion, expensive though. If

    you

    > Couldn't find any reference to Ateliers utilities on Google. Care to
    > elaborate
    >

    > > use Windows utilities be careful- one of the bits is written differently

    on
    > > the Psion and running Windows utilities directly on the CF can cause

    even
    > > more problems.

    > Interesting. Won't take that route.
    >
    > > Most file corruption problems seem to occur when the batteries get low,
    > > although the Psion itself keeps going- it takes more current to write to

    CF
    > > than to read from it, and more than the internal memory needs.
    > > Rechargeables operate at a lower voltage than alkalines then the

    voltage
    > > suddenly drops off. Try sortimg out the files then keep a close eye on

    the
    > > voltage- warnings about file write failures don't seem reliable. Monitor
    > > when you get the problems. I changed to using only good alkalines and

    not
    > > running them to death, changing them fairly early- very few issues after
    > > that.
    > >
    > > Try monitoring when you get the problems, it can be a bit of a pain but

    can
    > > save lots of greif if you identify the cause, rather than keep working

    on
    > > file repairs.
    > >
    > > Military grade CF would still need high current levels to write- it's

    more
    > > likely to be the way they are used than a specific CF fault.

    > Very helpful comments thanks. I always use alkalines, but only change
    > them when the "battery low cannot write to disk" message appears
    > (about every four days the way my machine gets thrashed). Do you think
    > larger CF cards require more current? I never had problems with a 96MB
    > card.
    >
    > Cheers!

    http://www.ateliersoftware.com/palm/feedback.html
    I can't see a Psion section, but try emailing them

    I don't think the disk size will make much difference, they both write to
    the same amount of memory.

    After you get the cannot write message check your files for corruption, I
    think mine corrupted some at this point.

  10. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    RESULT OF VARIOUS CF BACKUP STRATEGIES

    Just thought it might be useful to someone if I posted a conclusion of
    the various back up suggestions posted in the thread.

    BACKUP D: DIRECT FROM CARD VIA WINDOWS & CARD READER

    Choked on "corrupt" files as detailed in first post. I stopped trying
    to weed out corrupt files when it began choking on MAIL files/folders.

    BACKUP D: VIA UNSTOPPABLE UTILITY

    This utility choked on a corrupt file and started writing random files
    to the backup directory. Stopped using it as it was unpredictable to
    say the least.

    BACKUP D: VIA PSIWIN

    This appeared to succeed with no hitches on my WIN98 machine. When I
    started I got a message "1779 minutes to go" fortunately this was an
    exaggeration and the procedure was completed overnight.

    Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and comments.

  11. Re: Backup 5MX SanDisk panic help!

    Noah Spamm wrote:

    > RESULT OF VARIOUS CF BACKUP STRATEGIES
    >
    > Just thought it might be useful to someone if I posted a conclusion of
    > the various back up suggestions posted in the thread.
    >
    > BACKUP D: DIRECT FROM CARD VIA WINDOWS & CARD READER
    >
    > Choked on "corrupt" files as detailed in first post. I stopped trying
    > to weed out corrupt files when it began choking on MAIL files/folders.
    >
    > BACKUP D: VIA UNSTOPPABLE UTILITY
    >
    > This utility choked on a corrupt file and started writing random files
    > to the backup directory. Stopped using it as it was unpredictable to
    > say the least.
    >
    > BACKUP D: VIA PSIWIN
    >
    > This appeared to succeed with no hitches on my WIN98 machine. When I
    > started I got a message "1779 minutes to go" fortunately this was an
    > exaggeration and the procedure was completed overnight.
    >
    > Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions and comments.

    If your backup is OK and if you have checked that all you files on you PC
    are OK than do a hard reset.
    The error you had with CF and the "1779 minutes to go" message are an
    indication that your internal Psion files system is corrupted. It can
    happens when you use low battery and a low backup battery for a long time
    for example.

    Test your backed up files then do it or you will have someday a BEEEP. Just
    one beep, deeper that the two reset beeps but good enough to warn you that
    all is now lost in your Psion memory.

    --
    ,,,
    (._.)