Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook - Scion

This is a discussion on Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook - Scion ; Hi, Anybody out there know how to get a Hitachi 4GB CFII working in the Netbook. I formatted it for FAT and the netbook saw the files I had copied to it but it reported only 1K of space left. ...

  1. Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook

    Hi,

    Anybody out there know how to get a Hitachi 4GB CFII working in the Netbook.
    I formatted it for FAT and the netbook saw the files I had copied to it but
    it reported only 1K of space left. If its not compatible whats the biggest
    drive that will work in the Netbook.

    CaptainK

  2. Re: Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook

    Hello CaptainK there,

    Sorry about the v.late reply, but I only just happened to see your
    post in Google...

    CaptainK wrote on Fri, 11 Jun 2004 08:26:53 GMT...
    > Anybody out there know how to get a Hitachi 4GB CFII working in the Netbook.
    > I formatted it for FAT and the netbook saw the files I had copied to it but
    > it reported only 1K of space left. If its not compatible whats the biggest
    > drive that will work in the Netbook.

    Well done - you appear to have discovered the Netbook's upper limit on
    CF sizes! The good news is that you can still use a 4Gb CF, the bad
    news is it will take a bit of fiddling:

    Your CF is apparently slightly *over* 4GB in size, and this is beyond
    the Netbook's limit. So what you need to do is reduce it to 3.99GB or
    similar. I did something similar to by 1GB Microdrive (to 0.99GB), so
    that I could reduce it's cluster size, and thus increase disk
    efficiency.

    You need to access your CF from a Windows machine, preferably running
    Windows 98 or earlier (so that it has a real DOS mode). Hopefully
    when you type FDisk from the command prompt (DOS) it will have that
    program. If not, I believe that Windows2000 and/or XP may have a
    similar Windows utility, but I have no experience with that.

    Using FDisk, you need to reduce the partition size from 4097Mb (or
    very close to that) to say 4090Mb. The threshold is actually 4096Mb,
    but there's no point tempting fate! You should now save the changes,
    and then format it as FAT16 (preferably on your Psion).

    When using FDisk, PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE EDITING THE CF DISK
    AND NOT YOUR WINDOWS HARDDRIVE! IF YOU EDIT THE WRONG DISK THEN YOU
    WILL COMPLETELY **** YOUR COMPUTER, PROBABLY PERMANENTLY. You take
    full responsibility when using FDisk (or any similar utility).

    The down side of using a 4GB disk is that the cluster size is going to
    be really large, so that even small files will take tons of space. So
    potentially you will waste a lot of disk space, and perhaps achieve
    only 2 or 3Gb of storage...

    ---
    Chris Handley
    --
    To get my email address, please visit this web page:
    http://email.cshandley.co.uk

  3. Re: Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook

    Chris wrote:
    > The down side of using a 4GB disk is that the cluster size is going to
    > be really large, so that even small files will take tons of space. So
    > potentially you will waste a lot of disk space, and perhaps achieve
    > only 2 or 3Gb of storage...

    Good advise from Chris who probabaly knows more about this that I do,
    but here are some other approaches worth considering.

    1. Partition the CF disk; smaller partitions can give you a smaller
    cluster size. Epoc will only recognise primary partitions which limits
    you to four partitions. I suggest using the freewear Ranish Partition
    Manager http://www.ranish.com as an alternative to FDisk.

    2. Use SecureDrive http://www.symbianwave.com to create virtual drives
    with smaller block sizes. I use SecureDrive to hold small files, for
    example html web pages, mobile logos; and for its stated purpose, to
    provide an encrypted location for sensitive corporate documents
    (neatly and automatically synchonised by My Pocket).

    Colin

  4. Re: Hitachi 4GB CF in Netbook

    Chris wrote:
    > The down side of using a 4GB disk is that the cluster size is going to
    > be really large, so that even small files will take tons of space. So
    > potentially you will waste a lot of disk space, and perhaps achieve
    > only 2 or 3Gb of storage...

    Good advise from Chris who probabaly knows more about this that I do,
    but here are some other approaches worth considering.

    1. Partition the CF disk; smaller partitions can give you a smaller
    cluster size. Epoc will only recognise primary partitions which limits
    you to four partitions. I suggest using the freewear Ranish Partition
    Manager http://www.ranish.com as an alternative to FDisk.

    2. Use SecureDrive http://www.symbianwave.com to create virtual drives
    with smaller block sizes. I use SecureDrive to hold small files, for
    example html web pages, mobile logos; and for its stated purpose, to
    provide an encrypted location for sensitive corporate documents
    (neatly and automatically synchonised by My Pocket).

    Colin

+ Reply to Thread