Replace Psion with Macintosh? - Scion

This is a discussion on Replace Psion with Macintosh? - Scion ; I've recently been contemplating just what I'll use to replace (or perhaps supplement) my (mostly) faithful Psion MBook and 5mx when they (and the spares finally die. I came up with an unusual potential choice, and would be sort of ...

  1. Replace Psion with Macintosh?

    I've recently been contemplating just what I'll use to replace (or
    perhaps supplement) my (mostly) faithful Psion MBook and 5mx when they
    (and the spares finally die. I came up with an unusual potential
    choice, and would be sort of interested in what other Psion enthusiasts
    think. I guess I'd better add that while I am stirring a little, I do
    actually have reasonable Psion credentials via my work on my Epoc web
    site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc

    A Macintosh PowerBook has a reliable sleep mode, sleeps when you close
    the lid, wakes when you open the lid. Waking battery life is claimed to
    be six hours, and really is well over three hours, which is about the
    same as heaps of Pocket PCs. Sleep life is unknown, but certainly it
    lasts a fair number of days, if not weeks. That seems to me to cover
    the Instant On aspect.

    I'll add that I've had a number of Windows notebook computers, and
    haven't had a lot of success with their sleep modes. They seem to me to
    fail to work about 10% of the time. To me, that was unacceptable.

    The Mac has a tolerable Address Book, integrated into email and SMS (at
    least if you have a Bluetooth phone - I don't as yet). Doesn't do tone
    dialling, but I must say I've only rarely used the dialler facility in
    my Psion. The Mac version looks to me to be a little more sophisticated
    than Contacts. Since it uses vCard, I've used Contacts (and some of the
    Psion Data to Contacts converters) as a method of moving some of my
    address data over to the Mac. For instance, I couldn't find a direct
    method to get Windows Eudora email addresses into the Mac mail program,
    but going via the Psion worked fine.

    I'm still a little uncertain about the abilities of the Mac iCal
    program, but it seems similar to Agenda. Perhaps a little weaker, or
    perhaps I just don't know yet how to drive it correctly. I'm still
    wondering how I'll keep the two in sync. I can swap files, via a PCMCIA
    card port, so things like my (many) text files move between them easily.

    The Psion seems lots stronger out of the box on word processing,
    spreadsheets, database, and simple drawing, at least when you haven't
    added extra programs to the Mac. On the other hand, there are programs
    available. Given I do a lot of stuff (like my web site and Postscript
    files) using a text editor, I can use either for most things. Files
    transfer back and forth pretty easily.

    The Mac is way ahead on sound and especially music, deals much more
    easily with photos and movies, CDs and DVDs. Not much comparison in
    these areas.

    I'm not sure that the Psion MBook or 7 hasn't a better keyboard than the
    Mac PowerBook. However in the tropics I simply can't use my MBook in
    daylight. The display is unreadable unless I draw the blinds. I can
    read the Mac display.

    I'm still looking for a banking program on the Mac as handy as abp
    (Quicken isn't available for the Mac in Australia). I may end up using
    the Java version of abp. It seems to me that the Psion is much better
    on project management software.

    The main consideration is that an Apple Mac isn't exactly a pocket
    device. I've looked at my use at home, and it works fine there (as you
    would expect). I've also checked my travel situation (which is 4-6
    months of the year) and when using a car, the Mac tend to be just fine.
    It lives in my briefcase, just like the Psion Mbook did. Same applies
    on international flights, as I tend to take a either a computer or the
    Mbook anyway. The only place the Psion wins is when walking. Then the
    size of a PDA really does count.

    I'm sort of assuming now that eventually a phone can take over many of
    the PDA specific tasks.

  2. Re: Replace Psion with Macintosh?

    I have, over the past 18 moths attempted to replace my 5mx.

    The contenders for me where Nokia 9210, Nokia 7650 & SE P800
    these choices refect how I used my 5mx.

    A mate of mine (also a 5mx user) runs a 9210 which he uses constantly
    claiming the colour screen is a lot more readable albeit smaller. Aside from
    that hes very happy with it. He does admit to missing the touch screen
    badly.

    My previous phone was a 7650 very powerfull (with addon applications) the 4
    meg ram is too resticting tho'.

    My current phone a P800 I find works very well the only drawback is the hand
    writing recignition which I find fiddly.

    Now the confession:-
    My P800 is great for working on the fly but my 5mx is never far way for the
    heavier workloads and I keep a 7110 with it.

    In the longer term I will probably go for an Ipaq or similar.

    "Eric Lindsay" wrote in message
> [...]
    > read the Mac display.
    >
    > I'm still looking for a banking program on the Mac as handy as abp
    > (Quicken isn't available for the Mac in Australia). I may end up using
    > the Java version of abp. It seems to me that the Psion is much better
    > on project management software.
    >
    > The main consideration is that an Apple Mac isn't exactly a pocket
    > device. I've looked at my use at home, and it works fine there (as you
    > would expect). I've also checked my travel situation (which is 4-6
    > months of the year) and when using a car, the Mac tend to be just fine.
    > It lives in my briefcase, just like the Psion Mbook did. Same applies
    > on international flights, as I tend to take a either a computer or the
    > Mbook anyway. The only place the Psion wins is when walking. Then the
    > size of a PDA really does count.
    >
    > I'm sort of assuming now that eventually a phone can take over many of

  3. Re: Replace Psion with Macintosh?

    On Sun, 2 May 2004 08:24:06 +0100, Eric Lindsay wrote
    (in article ):

    > I've recently been contemplating just what I'll use to replace (or
    > perhaps supplement) my (mostly) faithful Psion MBook and 5mx when they
    > (and the spares finally die. I came up with an unusual potential
    > choice, and would be sort of interested in what other Psion enthusiasts
    > think. I guess I'd better add that while I am stirring a little, I do
    > actually have reasonable Psion credentials via my work on my Epoc web
    > site http://www.ericlindsay.com/epoc
    >
    > A Macintosh PowerBook has a reliable sleep mode, sleeps when you close
    > the lid, wakes when you open the lid. Waking battery life is claimed to
    > be six hours, and really is well over three hours, which is about the
    > same as heaps of Pocket PCs. Sleep life is unknown, but certainly it
    > lasts a fair number of days, if not weeks. That seems to me to cover
    > the Instant On aspect.

    I did get a small PowerBook a while ago, albeit to replace Windows rather
    than an EPOC machine. The 12" PB is only slightly larger than a netBook
    (although considerably heavier) but the keyboard and screen are considerably
    better.

    Although the machine was intended to replace a desktop, I found that it made
    me rethink my requirements for a mobile computer. All the tasks that I would
    previously accomplish on my netBook can now be done better when on the move
    through a PowerBook. I still need a PDA, but I reckon my requirements are
    considerably thinned down.

    The sleep mode you refer to on the PowerBook is very effective and does allow
    quick use of the machine. It really is an excellent platform and I would
    recommend it but bear in mind that the Mac way of thinking is different from
    Windows (and even Linux if you have used that) and for that reason I found it
    hard to find applications that felt completely intuitive.

    With regard to the built-in application you mention, you are right that you
    don't get as many as you do out of the box with a Psion. On the other hand,
    what word processors can one add to a Psion? There are real advantages to the
    bigger machine.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    The reply-to email address is a spam trap.
    Email steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  4. Re: Replace Psion with Macintosh?

    Captain's log. On StarDate Sun, 02 May 2004 07:24:06 GMT received comm from Eric
    Lindsay on channel comp.sys.psion.misc:

    :
    : I'll add that I've had a number of Windows notebook computers, and
    : haven't had a lot of success with their sleep modes. They seem to me to
    : fail to work about 10% of the time. To me, that was unacceptable.

    FWIW: I have never had any such problems (and yes, I have used three different
    Windows notebooks personally, and many more if you count friends and customers).

    : The main consideration is that an Apple Mac isn't exactly a pocket
    : device. I've looked at my use at home, and it works fine there (as you

    I think you would be able to get a much smaller Windows/Linux notebook, but I
    don't think even them will replace a small Psion device (if you don't count the
    bigger notebook sized ones, in which case I can understand you wanting a real
    notebook instead).

    : Mbook anyway. The only place the Psion wins is when walking. Then the
    : size of a PDA really does count.
    :
    : I'm sort of assuming now that eventually a phone can take over many of
    : the PDA specific tasks.

    Yes, I will personally replace my palmtop with a smartphone or a pocket pc with
    build in phone support and keyboard.

    Especially the Motorola MPX seems to be a nice Psion/HP HPC replacement:
    http://www.motorola.com/motoinfo/pro.../0,,48,00.html

    Best regards,

    martin törnsten

    --