Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone - Scion

This is a discussion on Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone - Scion ; I have a Trium Eclipse set up for Vodafone GPRS. Now I want to use it in conjunction with my series 7 for web browsing and email. I found a post from Wojciech Paszkowski from 2002 saying the following: Solution: ...

  1. Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    I have a Trium Eclipse set up for Vodafone GPRS. Now I want to use it in conjunction with my series 7 for web browsing and email.

    I found a post from Wojciech Paszkowski from 2002 saying the following:

    Solution:
    MobileGPRSUpdate
    modem init string ATZ
    data init string at+cgdcont=5,"IP","apn adress - depending on
    operator","",0,0
    dial number *99***5# - polish IDEA centertel maybe another ops wiil be
    working too
    Flow control Software
    modem Mobile

    However, I'm not sure I understand what he's saying. In the data init string, are the items in quotation marks the actual values,
    like my gateway IP is 212.183.137.12? If so, what is the ,"", 0, 0?

    I'm also unclear on the "CID" number in the dial number (in this case 5). What is this? Is it operator-dependent or handset
    dependent?

  2. Re: Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    "NoJags Neil" wrote in message
    > I have a Trium Eclipse set up for Vodafone GPRS. Now I want to use it in

    conjunction with my series 7 for web browsing and email.

    OK, I think I'm getting close. I'm using the above with CID=1, and I think
    the phone may even be getting as far as the gateway, then I'm getting:

    Program closed:
    Program: EtelServer
    Reason code: USER
    Reason number: 23

  3. Re: Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    > "NoJags Neil" wrote in

    message
    > > I have a Trium Eclipse set up for Vodafone GPRS. Now I want to use it

    in
    > conjunction with my series 7 for web browsing and email.

    OK, this is it, many thanks to Google, Steve Litchfield, a post from Dan
    Brennan on RevoWorld, and a feature by John Lettice in The Register. It
    really is important to post the solution to a problem once you've found it
    so that others can benefit. This is how you use a Psion Series 7 with a
    Trium Eclipse on Vodafone PAYG. Note that I haven't got a clue what most of
    it means: it was just trial and error.

    Modem settings:
    more-or-less standard Infrared Mobile Phone settings, but with speed at
    38400 baud. Hardware flow control, terminal detect ticked, carrier detect
    ticked. Steve Litchfield recommends "fixed line" but mine seems to work
    with "mobile". Interestingly, there's *no* data init string, contrary to
    what the Polish guy recommended.

    Internet Service settings:
    dialup number: *99***128# This is where Mike McConnell's/Craig Chambers'
    stuff is invaluable. Using at+cgdcont? from Comms shows that I have four
    possible "contexts", with apn 128-131, one of which is used by the in-phone
    wap service, so I use 128, which is free.
    For Vodafone payg, username is "web", password is "web". PPP extensions and
    plain text authorisation are both ticked.

    .... and it works A TREAT!

    BTW, if anybody is interested, I got the Trium Eclipse from Freedom Mobiles
    for GBP60, which included vat and postage. I only got it because my old
    T18s completely pegged out, but I'm really chuffed with it so far. Now I've
    got GPRS on the Psion working, *all* aspects of IR comms between the Psion
    and the handset work perfectly: I can even beam contacts and appointments
    directly into the phone.

  4. Re: Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    > > > I have a Trium Eclipse set up for Vodafone GPRS. Now I want to use it
    > in
    > > conjunction with my series 7 for web browsing and email.
    > > >

    > Internet Service settings:
    > dialup number: *99***128# This is where Mike McConnell's/Craig Chambers'
    > stuff is invaluable. Using at+cgdcont? from Comms shows that I have four
    > possible "contexts", with apn 128-131, one of which is used by the

    in-phone
    > wap service, so I use 128, which is free.
    > For Vodafone payg, username is "web", password is "web". PPP extensions

    and
    > plain text authorisation are both ticked.

    Whoops. Forgot the most important bit (Dan Brennan). Uncheck "get IP
    address from server" and leave it at 0.0.0.0.

    Can I have the prize for "most replies to own post", please?

  5. Re: Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    In article , NoJags Neil
    wrote:
    [snip]
    > BTW, if anybody is interested, I got the Trium Eclipse from Freedom Mobiles
    > for GBP60, which included vat and postage. I only got it because my old
    > T18s completely pegged out, but I'm really chuffed with it so far. Now
    > I've got GPRS on the Psion working, *all* aspects of IR comms between the
    > Psion and the handset work perfectly: I can even beam contacts and
    > appointments directly into the phone.

    How do you enable GPRS on a Psion? I have a netbook and can't make it swap
    contacts and the like between it and my Sharp GX10. I assumed it was because
    the Sharp was missing some protocol or other. I have installed piBeam and
    that will talk to the netbook but not do much that's useful. On the other
    hand I also have PhoneMan but that won't talk to the Sharp.

    --
    _ .-----------------------------------------------.
    __ __| |_ __ __ | NB: When replying, please remove "invalid" |

  6. Re: Trium Eclipse / ER5 / GPRS / Vodafone

    "Chris Walker" wrote in message
    > In article , NoJags Neil
    > wrote:
    > [snip]
    > > BTW, if anybody is interested, I got the Trium Eclipse from Freedom Mobiles
    > > for GBP60, which included vat and postage. I only got it because my old
    > > T18s completely pegged out, but I'm really chuffed with it so far. Now
    > > I've got GPRS on the Psion working, *all* aspects of IR comms between the
    > > Psion and the handset work perfectly: I can even beam contacts and
    > > appointments directly into the phone.

    > How do you enable GPRS on a Psion?

    Well... I did it using the settings described above.

    >I have a netbook and can't make it swap
    > contacts and the like between it and my Sharp GX10. I assumed it was because
    > the Sharp was missing some protocol or other. I have installed piBeam and
    > that will talk to the netbook but not do much that's useful. On the other
    > hand I also have PhoneMan but that won't talk to the Sharp.

    Can't help with that particular scenario, but a good starting point for anything
    regarding Psion connectivity is to google these groups, particularly for any
    posts from Mike McConnell. Mike's website is also invaluable. In the end,
    though, I think you just have to do lots of googling and make notes of all the
    suggestions. Then just try lots of different combinations of settings. Give up
    when you get tired, then go back to it the next day. In my case this really did
    take hours, largely because every time I induced a crash I had to reset both the
    psion and the phone.

    Phones do vary greatly though in the degree to which they can talk to psions.
    Again, google is your friend.

+ Reply to Thread