Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a? - Scion

This is a discussion on Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a? - Scion ; May sound daft, but I want to use my old 3a as a back-up for my 5mx in the event of the inevitable ribbon problems etc. Whats the best way of transferring data (primarily agenda, word docs, contacts) to the ...

  1. Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a?

    May sound daft, but I want to use my old 3a as a back-up for my 5mx in the
    event of the inevitable ribbon problems etc.

    Whats the best way of transferring data (primarily agenda, word docs,
    contacts) to the 3a? Would synching my 5mx and Outlook for agenda and
    contacts, then synching the resultant Outlook and my 3a work? Does Pswin 2
    allow you to access a 5mx and a 3a, even though I configured Pswin for the
    5mx when installing it? Is installing my old Pswin 1 an option?
    No doubt I'm overlooking obvious solutions, but appreciate any help.

    John

  2. Re: Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a?

    John Cairns wrote:

    > May sound daft, but I want to use my old 3a as a back-up for my 5mx in the
    > event of the inevitable ribbon problems etc.
    >
    > Whats the best way of transferring data (primarily agenda, word docs,
    > contacts) to the 3a? Would synching my 5mx and Outlook for agenda and
    > contacts, then synching the resultant Outlook and my 3a work? Does Pswin 2
    > allow you to access a 5mx and a 3a, even though I configured Pswin for the
    > 5mx when installing it? Is installing my old Pswin 1 an option?
    > No doubt I'm overlooking obvious solutions, but appreciate any help.
    >
    > John

    Install Psiwin 2.3.3. It supports both.

  3. Re: Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a?

    PsiWin 2.3.3 should work with both machines. In case you have problems
    connecting PsiWin 2.3.3 to a 3a then lower the baudr rating of the port to
    match that of your 3a and then increase it again when you wish to connect
    the 5mx. Only try this action if you have problems. If everything works fine
    then don't play around with the ports.

    regards

    "John Cairns" wrote in message
    > May sound daft, but I want to use my old 3a as a back-up for my 5mx in the
    > event of the inevitable ribbon problems etc.
    >
    > Whats the best way of transferring data (primarily agenda, word docs,
    > contacts) to the 3a? Would synching my 5mx and Outlook for agenda and
    > contacts, then synching the resultant Outlook and my 3a work? Does Pswin 2
    > allow you to access a 5mx and a 3a, even though I configured Pswin for the
    > 5mx when installing it? Is installing my old Pswin 1 an option?
    > No doubt I'm overlooking obvious solutions, but appreciate any help.
    >
    > John

  4. Re: Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a?

    B wrote:

    > PsiWin 2.3.3 should work with both machines.

    Did any of the post Series 5 PSiwin software support conferting TO S3a formats ?????
    It was my impression that it converts only FROM S3a formats.

    For WRD, you'd have to use PSIwin to convert you S5 documents to RTF on your
    PC and then copy them to the S3A where you can use the S3A's WORD aplication
    to import the RTF documents.

    For DATA, you need to export the S5's files to tab delimited and then copy it
    to the S3a and import it (You'll have to reset the labels).

    For Agenda, I am not sure how it can be done.

  5. Re: Best Way of transfering 5mx to 3a?

    Many thanks to all for your valuable suggestions. I eventually managed to
    get all of my most useful data onto the 3a from the 5mx:

    Yes - I had to set different baud rates for the 3a and 5mx each time I
    connected the machines.

    Transferred Agenda and Contacts by synching 5mx with Outlook, then synching
    Outlook with 3a (although on 3a the Contacts (database) comes up with an
    irritating UID Number - can get rid of the label, but so far not the
    number).

    For 5mx databases, converted files to Access format, then 'saved as' Excel
    format and moved the files to the Spreadsheet folder on the 3a. Far from
    elegant, but after a lot of trial and error it was the only solution I could
    come up with!

    Also, when using Pswin 2.3 the 3a would not always show a folder for the
    various applications (WRD, SPR etc). However, having moved a file (eg. a WRD
    file) to the 'Ramdrive' and then clicking on it, a folder (eg WRD) was
    automatically created.

    Anyway, am now confident that I will be able to use my 3a as a backup for
    whenever the 5mx is away for repair.

    Thanks once again

    John

    "JF Mezei" wrote in message
    > B wrote:
    > >
    > > PsiWin 2.3.3 should work with both machines.

    > Did any of the post Series 5 PSiwin software support conferting TO S3a

    formats ?????
    > It was my impression that it converts only FROM S3a formats.
    >
    > For WRD, you'd have to use PSIwin to convert you S5 documents to RTF on

    your
    > PC and then copy them to the S3A where you can use the S3A's WORD

    aplication
    > to import the RTF documents.
    >
    > For DATA, you need to export the S5's files to tab delimited and then copy

    it
    > to the S3a and import it (You'll have to reset the labels).
    >
    > For Agenda, I am not sure how it can be done.

+ Reply to Thread