Spare parts for Series 5 - Scion

This is a discussion on Spare parts for Series 5 - Scion ; Hi Does anyone know of anywhere that sells (cheap) spare parts for the Series 5 (8mb)? I dropped my Psion a while ago and the mechanism that holds the stylus in place broke. I tried the "open serial port cover ...

  1. Spare parts for Series 5

    Hi

    Does anyone know of anywhere that sells (cheap) spare parts for the Series
    5 (8mb)? I dropped my Psion a while ago and the mechanism that holds the
    stylus in place broke. I tried the "open serial port cover and insert
    credit card" trick to no avail.

    On taking the thing to bits, it looks like the bit of plastic that pivots
    at the end of the pen is broken - the thing that the tiny spring hooks on
    to. Photo here: http://www.geocities.com/timothy_coltman/DSC00279.JPG

    From looking at photos on the 'net, it looks like the curvy bit at the left
    (the bit that's attached to the rest of the thing at the bottom) is missing
    its top section. From looking at the part itself, it certainly looks as if
    there's a break there.

    So, does anyone know where I can get a spare one of these? Being currently
    unemployed, I don't particularly want to have to pay 75 or so to get the
    thing repaired (posltd?) and even items marked as "Spare/Repair" on Ebay
    are going for well over 20, which I can't really afford...

  2. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    It is called a squirrel.

    It was covered some time ago in the newsgroups- check the archives. I have a
    feeling it's only changed as part of a 70 service. I waited till a few
    things needed sorting before paying that much for a little bit of plastic. I
    had tried gluing it but without any joy. Why not try emailing Psion and
    Kinnock? If you explain your circumstances they may be helpful- it's worth a
    try.

    "Vincent Vega" wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know of anywhere that sells (cheap) spare parts for the Series
    > 5 (8mb)? I dropped my Psion a while ago and the mechanism that holds the
    > stylus in place broke. I tried the "open serial port cover and insert
    > credit card" trick to no avail.
    >
    > On taking the thing to bits, it looks like the bit of plastic that pivots
    > at the end of the pen is broken - the thing that the tiny spring hooks on
    > to. Photo here: http://www.geocities.com/timothy_coltman/DSC00279.JPG
    >
    > From looking at photos on the 'net, it looks like the curvy bit at the

    left
    > (the bit that's attached to the rest of the thing at the bottom) is

    missing
    > its top section. From looking at the part itself, it certainly looks as if
    > there's a break there.
    >
    > So, does anyone know where I can get a spare one of these? Being currently
    > unemployed, I don't particularly want to have to pay 75 or so to get the
    > thing repaired (posltd?) and even items marked as "Spare/Repair" on Ebay
    > are going for well over 20, which I can't really afford...

    ---

  3. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    Vincent Vega wrote in message
    > Hi
    >
    > Does anyone know of anywhere that sells (cheap) spare parts for the Series
    > 5 (8mb)? I dropped my Psion a while ago and the mechanism that holds the
    > stylus in place broke. I tried the "open serial port cover and insert
    > credit card" trick to no avail.
    >
    > snip

    Your in look. I've got one that's intact.

    Email me baz@NOSPAMtaximania.net Remove the NOSPAM obviously.
    I'm feeling charitably. It''s yours :-)

    Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  4. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    > I'm feeling charitably. It''s yours :-)

    That's 'charitable'. ha ha
    It's off a 5 I bought from Steve Litchfield.
    My case was in better condition, so I put his screen into my 5.

    ---

  5. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 17:13:25 +0000 (UTC), taximania wrote:

    > Vincent Vega wrote in message
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of anywhere that sells (cheap) spare parts for the Series
    >> 5 (8mb)? I dropped my Psion a while ago and the mechanism that holds the
    >> stylus in place broke. I tried the "open serial port cover and insert
    >> credit card" trick to no avail.
    >>
    >> snip

    > Your in look. I've got one that's intact.
    >
    > Email me baz@NOSPAMtaximania.net Remove the NOSPAM obviously.
    > I'm feeling charitably. It''s yours :-)
    >
    > Barry
    > www.taximania.net

    Hi Barry

    Thanks for your kind offer! Email sent...

    Cheers!

  6. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    It's in the post mate :-)

    Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  7. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:30:03 +0000 (UTC), taximania wrote:

    > It's in the post mate :-)
    >
    > Barry
    > www.taximania.net
    >

    > ---

    Thank you very much!

  8. Re: Spare parts for Series 5

    On Tue, 02 Mar 2004 20:40:24 GMT, Vincent Vega wrote:

    > On Tue, 2 Mar 2004 19:30:03 +0000 (UTC), taximania wrote:
    >
    >> It's in the post mate :-)
    >>
    >> Barry
    >> www.taximania.net
    >>

    >> ---

    > Thank you very much!

    It arrived today, all is well (well, once I'd figured out that the pen
    would only stay in the "in" position once you reassemble the organiser).

    Once again, thank you very much for your kind gesture. 'Tis much
    appreciated!

+ Reply to Thread