Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook - Scion

This is a discussion on Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook - Scion ; I have a client looking to get rid of their PSion. I exported the Psion data to CSV (windows) files. I created a Contacts folder in the user's PST file and tried to import the data. First into Outlook 2000 ...

  1. Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    I have a client looking to get rid of their PSion. I exported the
    Psion data to CSV (windows) files. I created a Contacts folder in the
    user's PST file and tried to import the data. First into Outlook 2000
    then Outlook Xp then Outlook 2003.
    Each time I received the same error message:
    "A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values
    (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to
    build a field map.

    The file "C:\....CSV" was not recognized. The Comma
    Separated Values (Windows) translator was unable to
    recognize this file. It could be the wrong file, a
    version of the file type which is not supported by this
    translator, or the file might be corrupt."
    The file was imported into Excel without any problems. An error of
    Excel range not defined occurred when importing the data as Excel.

  2. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    Ronrf1@yahoo.com (Ronrf1) wrote in news:cf3b20bf.0402251836.5573a314
    @posting.google.com:

    > I have a client looking to get rid of their PSion. I exported the
    > Psion data to CSV (windows) files. I created a Contacts folder in the
    > user's PST file and tried to import the data. First into Outlook 2000
    > then Outlook Xp then Outlook 2003.
    > Each time I received the same error message:
    > "A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values
    > (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to
    > build a field map.
    >
    > The file "C:\....CSV" was not recognized. The Comma
    > Separated Values (Windows) translator was unable to
    > recognize this file. It could be the wrong file, a
    > version of the file type which is not supported by this
    > translator, or the file might be corrupt."
    > The file was imported into Excel without any problems. An error of
    > Excel range not defined occurred when importing the data as Excel.

    This must be contact data on the Psion so a few questions.

    Is the Psion later then a Series 5mx? If so, if the data were stored in
    the Contacts database rather than a text file you could synchronise the
    data directly into Outlook using PsiWin.

    The fact that you are talking about exporting data as a CSV (comedy
    limited) file suggests that Contacts is not in use. If the machine
    includes the Contacts application you could transfer the data using the
    utility DataContact (http://pnicolas.epocboulevard.com/) then
    synchronise.

    If this is an earlier machine then you don't have any option to use the
    Contacts applications. However PsiWin (2.3.3) does appear to allow
    synchronisation between a data file the Psion and Outlook. Perhaps this
    is the best option.

    Another option. You say you were able to transfer the data to Excel
    successfully. My copy of Outlook 2000 allows data to be imported from
    Excel so perhaps you can use this as a intermediate stage.

    Hope this helps. Let us know.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  3. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    Steve Hodgson wrote in
    news:Xns949B53C68E404stephenhodgsonbaesys@10.15.18 8.42:

    > Ronrf1@yahoo.com (Ronrf1) wrote in news:cf3b20bf.0402251836.5573a314
    > @posting.google.com:
    >
    >> I have a client looking to get rid of their PSion. I exported the
    >> Psion data to CSV (windows) files. I created a Contacts folder in

    the
    >> user's PST file and tried to import the data. First into Outlook

    2000
    >> then Outlook Xp then Outlook 2003.
    >> Each time I received the same error message:
    >> "A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values
    >> (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to
    >> build a field map.
    >>
    >> The file "C:\....CSV" was not recognized. The Comma
    >> Separated Values (Windows) translator was unable to
    >> recognize this file. It could be the wrong file, a
    >> version of the file type which is not supported by this
    >> translator, or the file might be corrupt."
    >> The file was imported into Excel without any problems. An error of
    >> Excel range not defined occurred when importing the data as Excel.
    >>

    > This must be contact data on the Psion so a few questions.
    >
    > Is the Psion later then a Series 5mx? If so, if the data were stored

    in
    > the Contacts database rather than a text file you could synchronise

    the
    > data directly into Outlook using PsiWin.
    >
    > The fact that you are talking about exporting data as a CSV (comedy
    > limited) file suggests that Contacts is not in use. If the machine
    > includes the Contacts application you could transfer the data using

    the
    > utility DataContact (http://pnicolas.epocboulevard.com/) then
    > synchronise.
    >
    > If this is an earlier machine then you don't have any option to use

    the
    > Contacts applications. However PsiWin (2.3.3) does appear to allow
    > synchronisation between a data file the Psion and Outlook. Perhaps

    this
    > is the best option.
    >
    > Another option. You say you were able to transfer the data to Excel
    > successfully. My copy of Outlook 2000 allows data to be imported from
    > Excel so perhaps you can use this as a intermediate stage.

    Just to add to my earlier reply to your query...

    I guess that the v3 in the subject line refers to a series 3 machine.
    You can still synchronise to Outlook with these machines. There is what
    seems to be a good reference available for download from
    http://www.isbg00598.pwp.blueyonder....utlookSync.pdf.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  4. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    On 26 Feb 2004 11:37:29 GMT, Steve Hodgson
    wrote:

    >Steve Hodgson wrote in
    >news:Xns949B53C68E404stephenhodgsonbaesys@10.15.18 8.42:
    >
    >> Ronrf1@yahoo.com (Ronrf1) wrote in news:cf3b20bf.0402251836.5573a314
    >> @posting.google.com:
    >>
    >>> I have a client looking to get rid of their PSion. I exported the
    >>> Psion data to CSV (windows) files. I created a Contacts folder in

    >the
    >>> user's PST file and tried to import the data. First into Outlook

    >2000
    >>> then Outlook Xp then Outlook 2003.
    >>> Each time I received the same error message:
    >>> "A file error has occurred in the Comma Separated Values
    >>> (Windows) translator while initializing a translator to
    >>> build a field map.
    >>>
    >>> The file "C:\....CSV" was not recognized. The Comma
    >>> Separated Values (Windows) translator was unable to
    >>> recognize this file. It could be the wrong file, a
    >>> version of the file type which is not supported by this
    >>> translator, or the file might be corrupt."
    >>> The file was imported into Excel without any problems. An error of
    >>> Excel range not defined occurred when importing the data as Excel.
    >>>

    >> This must be contact data on the Psion so a few questions.
    >>
    >> Is the Psion later then a Series 5mx? If so, if the data were stored

    >in
    >> the Contacts database rather than a text file you could synchronise

    >the
    >> data directly into Outlook using PsiWin.
    >>
    >> The fact that you are talking about exporting data as a CSV (comedy
    >> limited) file suggests that Contacts is not in use. If the machine
    >> includes the Contacts application you could transfer the data using

    >the
    >> utility DataContact (http://pnicolas.epocboulevard.com/) then
    >> synchronise.
    >>
    >> If this is an earlier machine then you don't have any option to use

    >the
    >> Contacts applications. However PsiWin (2.3.3) does appear to allow
    >> synchronisation between a data file the Psion and Outlook. Perhaps

    >this
    >> is the best option.
    >>
    >> Another option. You say you were able to transfer the data to Excel
    >> successfully. My copy of Outlook 2000 allows data to be imported from
    >> Excel so perhaps you can use this as a intermediate stage.

    >Just to add to my earlier reply to your query...
    >
    >I guess that the v3 in the subject line refers to a series 3 machine.
    >You can still synchronise to Outlook with these machines. There is what
    >seems to be a good reference available for download from
    >http://www.isbg00598.pwp.blueyonder....utlookSync.pdf.
    >
    >Cheers,
    >
    >Steve

    I've been trying to do the same thing, so I can then put into a PDA.
    PsiWin2.3 gives a conversion error so I gave up!

    The simplest way I found was to save the data file as TEXT (not DATA)
    then select delimiter. This can be Newline/Tab/Comma/Semicolon/Other.
    Simply copy to the PC without conversion and it can be imported into
    Excel or Word for editing.

    Unfortunately I've used Shift/Enter on the Psion 3a to add extra lines
    whilst maintaining the titles. This means all the records are not in
    sync when I export them. If anybody can see a way round this problem
    I'd be most grateful as I have over 600 records to transfer.

    I've also tried to use 'dbf2spr' to convert to Psion Sheet but this
    won't handle such a large number of records.

    To date I have put the lot into Word as a CSV file and done a number
    of search and replace to separate each record with a line and putinto
    the Pocket Word prog. Most unsatisfactory but I can 'find'
    information.

    David

  5. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    > Unfortunately I've used Shift/Enter on the Psion 3a to add extra lines
    > whilst maintaining the titles. This means all the records are not in
    > sync when I export them. If anybody can see a way round this problem
    > I'd be most grateful as I have over 600 records to transfer.

    For my customers, I use "codetran"
    (http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/psifind.htm). Haven't got time to explain in
    gory detail, but essentially:
    1)export from Psion using misc character (e.g. |) as delimiter for end of
    record
    2)run file through codetran, replacing CRLF pairs with semicolon, or
    whatever you like.
    3)run file through codetran again, replacing '|' with CRLF.

    The import into anything you like. Does this help?
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  6. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    On Fri, 27 Feb 2004 11:32 +0000 (GMT Standard Time),
    usenet@ukonline.co.uk (Steve Litchfield) wrote:

    >> Unfortunately I've used Shift/Enter on the Psion 3a to add extra lines
    >> whilst maintaining the titles. This means all the records are not in
    >> sync when I export them. If anybody can see a way round this problem
    >> I'd be most grateful as I have over 600 records to transfer.

    >For my customers, I use "codetran"
    >(http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/psifind.htm). Haven't got time to explain in
    >gory detail, but essentially:
    >1)export from Psion using misc character (e.g. |) as delimiter for end of
    >record
    >2)run file through codetran, replacing CRLF pairs with semicolon, or
    >whatever you like.
    >3)run file through codetran again, replacing '|' with CRLF.
    >
    >The import into anything you like. Does this help?
    >__________________________________________________ __________________
    >Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    >For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    >Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    >Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    >Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    >PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    >PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    >Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

    Thanks Steve, I think I was trying to do something similar but using
    the WP for search and replace with various combinations of CRLF etc.
    I'll look at it again with your suggestion.

    I had seen your website but not found anything I could use. The last
    time I had progs from you was when they were on about half a dozen
    floppies!

    David

    E-mail (Remove Space after pilot): pilot 2004@lochaber-physio.co.uk

  7. Re: Trying to import Psion v3 data to Outlook

    > I had seen your website but not found anything I could use. The last
    > time I had progs from you was when they were on about half a dozen
    > floppies!

    That was a while ago! The 3-Lib Psion shareware library has been on CD
    since about 1998!!! It's now up to about 450MB, so a little big to fit on
    floppy disks 8-)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/