New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000 - Scion

This is a discussion on New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000 - Scion ; Well gentlemen, Despite the fact that details are still a bit sparse, the Q4 release timeframe, and the fact that there are none of these to touch and feel, what is the general opinion of these devices? The Nokia looks ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

  1. New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    Well gentlemen,

    Despite the fact that details are still a bit sparse, the Q4 release
    timeframe, and the fact that there are none of these to touch and feel, what
    is the general opinion of these devices?

    The Nokia looks pretty cool to me, and has shrunk somewhat. The main thing
    missing is the touch screen, but I guess as and old 3mx user, I could get
    used to the button manipulation again.

    The Motorola is also pretty feature laden, with a touch interface.

    There are plenty of links at Google News.

    Dr. Dweeb



  2. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    > The Nokia looks pretty cool to me, and has shrunk somewhat. The main thing
    > missing is the touch screen, but I guess as and old 3mx user, I could get
    > used to the button manipulation again.


    If lack of touch screen results in less glare and more visible screen, then
    that is a great advantage for a handheld.

    Touch screen is great for control panels on walls/desks/kiosks, but not for
    tiny phones. Consider how you hold the palmtop and consider the hassle of
    switching from a keyboard to touch-screen modes when you are holding the unit.
    (a mobile should be usable outside of a desk environment). A mobile is also
    expected to have some robustness to outdoors.

    The palm is fine as a touch-only because you hold the unit in a certain way
    which frees your other hand for touching thing. But a longer unit that doesn't
    fully fit in your hand is not well suited for touch screen.

  3. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    Having seen friends using the P800 I suggest that the touchscreen is very
    useful with regards to browser functionality simply because the size of the
    phone limits the accuracy when using the button/joystick.

    The keyboard shortcuts on the Psion are for those times when you don't want
    to move your fingers from the keyboard.

    As an aside do the touchscreens (sorry stylus screens) on tablet PCs only
    work when the machine is changed to tablet form or can the screen+stylus be
    used at the same time as the keyboard. Seems like overkill to have a
    mousepad and touchscreen. Do any Tablet PC's allow you to use the
    touchscreen without the stylus in the same way as a PDA.


    ---
    Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free.
    Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).
    Version: 6.0.594 / Virus Database: 377 - Release Date: 24/02/2004



  4. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    >> The Nokia looks pretty cool to me, and has shrunk somewhat. The
    >> main thing missing is the touch screen, but I guess as and old 3mx
    >> user, I could get used to the button manipulation again.

    >
    > If lack of touch screen results in less glare and more visible
    > screen, then that is a great advantage for a handheld.
    >
    > Touch screen is great for control panels on walls/desks/kiosks, but
    > not for tiny phones. Consider how you hold the palmtop and consider
    > the hassle of switching from a keyboard to touch-screen modes when
    > you are holding the unit. (a mobile should be usable outside of a
    > desk environment). A mobile is also expected to have some robustness
    > to outdoors.
    >
    > The palm is fine as a touch-only because you hold the unit in a
    > certain way which frees your other hand for touching thing. But a
    > longer unit that doesn't fully fit in your hand is not well suited
    > for touch screen.


    Well JF, they are opinions. I do not share them and find them illogical.

    I am looking for a replacement for my MC218 as much as I am a phone, and the
    least of my problems is "switching from a keyboard to touch-screen modes
    when you are holding the unit".

    Further, the 9500 functions as a phone just fine without opening the
    clamshell and has an external screen for that purpose. So most of your
    commentary seems largely irrelevant - by your logic the 5mx should not have
    a touch screen.

    Dr. Dweeb



  5. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    > commentary seems largely irrelevant - by your logic the 5mx should not have
    > a touch screen.


    Correct. It is either keyboard or touch screen. Not both.

    Series 5 was a demonstrator to show that EPOC-32 could handle both.

    But from a usability point of view, as a PDA, it is not good to switch from
    one to the other.

    Similarly, they made sure they showed off hierarchical menus in the Series 5.
    But from a usability point of view, one should avoid those since they require
    extra keystrokes.

    (yes, there are situations where such menus are necessary, but there were
    usues of such menus that were not required nor logical on the series 5
    (notably, if I recall properly, the "save as" menu.)

    Remember that the Series 3 had all its main functions without hierachical menus.

  6. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    In article <403D2641.A7934F17@istop.com>,
    JF Mezei writes:
    >"Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    >Correct. It is either keyboard or touch screen. Not both.
    >But from a usability point of view, as a PDA, it is not good to switch from
    >one to the other.


    I really disagreee with you. The keyboard + touchscreen combo of the
    psion5 was really great. Very often I poke my finger on my laptop screen,
    forgetting that I need to use the mouse or touchpad :-)

    > Touch screen is great for control panels on walls/desks/kiosks, but not for
    > tiny phones.


    You really talk through your hat (to stay polite :-) there.
    Ask any P800/P900 user... (such as me :-)

    --
    Colas Nahaboo, ILOG R&D Sophia Antipolis, http://colas.nahaboo.net

  7. Re: New Nokia 9500 & Motorola 1000

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > "Dr. Dweeb" wrote:
    >> commentary seems largely irrelevant - by your logic the 5mx should
    >> not have a touch screen.

    >
    > Correct. It is either keyboard or touch screen. Not both.
    >
    > Series 5 was a demonstrator to show that EPOC-32 could handle both.
    >


    That is patently ridiculous. Every Psion machine after the 3-series
    machines was a touch screen model, the 5, 5mx, 7, Netbook & Revo. The
    notion that the capability of keyboard & touchscreen was a "demonstration"
    by Psion is, well, pointless and inaccurate. To whom were they
    demonstrating and for what purpose ?

    chop ... chop ... chop ... (black helicopters appraching)

    Let me guess. Hmmm. Perhaps you think that Psion was already planning to
    get out of the PDA business *before* the 5 and created a whole new operating
    system (EPOC-32) for just this purpose. That they then used EPOC-32 on all
    their products - including some very successful ones - just as a technology
    demonstration in the hope of facilitating an exit from the PDA market ?

    pohc ... pohc ...pohc ...

    > But from a usability point of view, as a PDA, it is not good to
    > switch from
    > one to the other.


    Says JF. There are certainly a large number of satisfied users of 5īs, Revos
    etc who would disagree.

    >
    > Similarly, they made sure they showed off hierarchical menus in the
    > Series 5. But from a usability point of view, one should avoid those
    > since they require extra keystrokes.
    >


    That is also crap - a facile pontification that is logically indefensible.
    There is finite menu first-level space. As soon as functionality
    requirements exceed this finite limit, then lower levels are required. This
    is the logical outcome of the objective reality of increasing functional
    richness of applications. Decrying it (sub-menus) as something to be
    avoided is to say that increased functionality should be avoided - a
    pointless claim.

    > (yes, there are situations where such menus are necessary, but there
    > were
    > usues of such menus that were not required nor logical on the series 5
    > (notably, if I recall properly, the "save as" menu.)
    >


    "Save as" is a fairly standard function. How would you have liked to see it
    implemented ?

    > Remember that the Series 3 had all its main functions without
    > hierachical menus.


    Mine is broken, so I cannot verify/dispute this. However, menus there were
    aplenty.

    Are you suggesting that because "Save As" was a level below the top of a
    given menu that it is intrinsically a usability design error ? I guess the
    designers felt (as I do) that "Save as" is a marginal function and thus not
    worthy of top billing.

    Dr. Dweeb.



+ Reply to Thread