Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ? - Scion ; Hi all, What's the best adhesive to use to fix a broken hinge on a Series 3a ? I've tried some Araldite Epoxy, but it didn't stick properly, even after leaving open for 72 hours to set. Thanks, Steve....

  1. Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Hi all,

    What's the best adhesive to use to fix a broken hinge on a Series 3a ? I've
    tried some Araldite Epoxy, but it didn't stick properly, even after leaving
    open for 72 hours to set.

    Thanks,

    Steve.

  2. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Steve Elliott wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > What's the best adhesive to use to fix a broken hinge on a Series 3a ? I've
    > tried some Araldite Epoxy, but it didn't stick properly, even after leaving
    > open for 72 hours to set.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Steve.

    Could try hot melt, but would have to disassemble first and trim off
    excess because it isn't easy to apply neatly in small amounts. I hasten
    to say I've never broken or repaired a hinge.

    Mike.
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  3. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Steve Elliott wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > What's the best adhesive to use to fix a broken hinge on a Series 3a ?
    > I've tried some Araldite Epoxy, but it didn't stick properly, even after
    > leaving open for 72 hours to set.

    I used duct tape (the gray and kind of woven sort) as an emergency repair
    some months ago. I tore an about 6 mm wide and 130 mm long strip and put
    it from top of screen to bottom of keyboard. Fits exactly between the keys
    and the edge of the keyboard. Not very elegant but to my surprise it still
    holds Of course I mean to send it in for repair one of these days...

  4. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Steve Elliott wrote:
    > What's the best adhesive to use to fix a broken hinge on a Series 3a ? I've
    > tried some Araldite Epoxy, but it didn't stick properly, even after leaving
    > open for 72 hours to set.

    Glueing the pastic only isn't enough. You need to re-enforce it since it was
    weak to begin with.

    I used epoxy resin (for fiber glass), as well as small strands of fiber glass.
    What you need to do is to dig some "canals" with a small knife into the
    plastic so that the resin can get in and get a good grip. Put in a bit of
    resin and then push in a strand of fiber into the canal. Then, you need to
    thicken the plastic on the side of the screen as well as behind. You need to
    detach the screen by removing the 2 pins as well as carefully unloading the 2
    springs. (you need to remove the battery compartment to get to it).

    When you thicken the "behind" side, you can stuff the little cavity (again,
    use small strands of fiber glass) But don't overstuff it, think of the
    springs, as well as the rotation when you open/close.

    One trick you can use is to use Krazy Glew style of instant glew
    (cryo-something) drops. Use a needle with a single drop to coat only the
    fractured plastic (not its surface) and then put the 2 pieces together. Hold
    steady until it has set. You can then work more easily with the resin since
    the 2 pieces are held by the kraxy glew.

    When mixing your resin, you can add a tiny amount of copier/printer toner to
    give it a nice black appearance.

    Also, once the resin has been put and starts to thicken, you may want to
    re-attach the screen back to the main unit with the 2 pins (but omit the
    springs). You want to coat the main borad side of the hinge area with a thin
    tape of vaseline, and then close the unit to make sure that the resin won't be
    too think to prevent full closure and opening.

    Fiberglass resin takes 24 to 48 hours to really set, but after about 30
    minutes, its shape becomes fixed.

  5. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > One trick you can use is to use Krazy Glew style of instant glew
    > (cryo-something) drops.

    Cyanoacrylate. (Cryo- is cold.)

    Mike
    --
    If reply address = connectfee, add an r because it is free not fee.

  6. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Thanks for all the suggestions so far - looks like I need to set aside some
    time to get this done properly. Those springs behind the battery
    compartment are somewhat more powerful than you would expect !

    Thanks again.

    Steve.

  7. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    "Steve Elliott" wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the suggestions so far - looks like I need to set aside

    some
    > time to get this done properly. Those springs behind the battery
    > compartment are somewhat more powerful than you would expect !
    >
    > Thanks again.
    >
    > Steve.

    Is it the peg inside, or the hinge on the surface with the tiny metal pin?

    When I had S3a's, the peg inside would shear off first.
    Fixed by hacksawing a short length of stainless steel bar (dowel pin?)
    of the same diameter, drilled a thru-hole where the peg had sheared off,
    and superglued in the bar. This never broke! (but the hinges on the
    top later crumbled away!, and maybe the internal memory went "corrupted"
    (static electricity?)

    Paul

  8. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Paul Taylor wrote:
    > > time to get this done properly. Those springs behind the battery
    > > compartment are somewhat more powerful than you would expect !

    > Is it the peg inside, or the hinge on the surface with the tiny metal pin?

    In my experience, the plastic around the pin didn't break. It was the plastic
    between the actual hinge and the casing that broke.

    And yes, the springs are quite tightly loaded. Which is why you need to wait
    for the glew to be totally dry before putting the springs back in.

  9. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    > Is it the peg inside, or the hinge on the surface with the tiny metal
    pin?

    > When I had S3a's, the peg inside would shear off first.
    > Fixed by hacksawing a short length of stainless steel bar (dowel pin?)
    > of the same diameter, drilled a thru-hole where the peg had sheared off,
    > and superglued in the bar. This never broke! (but the hinges on the
    > top later crumbled away!, and maybe the internal memory went "corrupted"
    > (static electricity?)
    >
    > Paul

    It's the plastic on the hinge that broke - the pin and immediate
    surroundings are fine.

    Thanks.

    Steve.

  10. Re: Psion 3a Hinges - What Glue ?

    Steve Elliott wrote:

    > > Is it the peg inside, or the hinge on the surface with the tiny metal

    > pin?
    > >
    > > When I had S3a's, the peg inside would shear off first.
    > > Fixed by hacksawing a short length of stainless steel bar (dowel pin?)
    > > of the same diameter, drilled a thru-hole where the peg had sheared off,
    > > and superglued in the bar. This never broke! (but the hinges on the
    > > top later crumbled away!, and maybe the internal memory went "corrupted"
    > > (static electricity?)
    > >
    > > Paul
    > >

    > It's the plastic on the hinge that broke - the pin and immediate
    > surroundings are fine.

    If you want a glue for this sort of thing, I'd suggest 24 hour Araldite,
    and leave it for at least a week in the airing cupboard to cure.

    Worked on my Psion 3's hinges until a psychiatric nurse smashed it
    against a wall.

    Rowland.

    --
    Remove the animal for email address: rowland.mcdonnell@dog.physics.org
    PGP pub key 0x62DCCA78 Sorry - the spam got to me

+ Reply to Thread