Better 5mx screen mod? - Scion

This is a discussion on Better 5mx screen mod? - Scion ; I always thought the Psion5 backlight was simply a sop to a silly market which wanted that box ticked. If it was bright enough to be useful it would be used a lot and reduce battery life too much. As ...

  1. Better 5mx screen mod?

    I always thought the Psion5 backlight was simply a sop to a silly
    market which wanted that box ticked. If it was bright enough to be
    useful it would be used a lot and reduce battery life too much. As it
    is, in the attempt to reduce it's power consumption it has ended
    really too dim to be much use except for temporary emergencies.

    But simply having it means that the reflective backing of the screen
    has to be partially transparent, so that the backlight can shine
    through. Which makes the screen dim. WE end up with the worst of all
    possible worlds, a committee compromise of a screen which tries to do
    too much and does none of it well. Which is a shame, because it is
    actually, underneath the gloom, a very sharp high-res screen.

    So why not take the opportunity of fitting a new screen cable (there
    are improved versions available which won't fail) to disable the
    backlight and make the screen back totally reflective? With paint?
    With white paper?

    Is this feasible? Has anyone tried it?

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  2. Re: Better 5mx screen mod?

    Chris

    It could be your screen cable again? I understand that www.psionflexi.co.uk
    sell cheap ones!

    "Chris Malcolm" wrote in message
    > I always thought the Psion5 backlight was simply a sop to a silly
    > market which wanted that box ticked. If it was bright enough to be
    > useful it would be used a lot and reduce battery life too much. As it
    > is, in the attempt to reduce it's power consumption it has ended
    > really too dim to be much use except for temporary emergencies.
    >
    > But simply having it means that the reflective backing of the screen
    > has to be partially transparent, so that the backlight can shine
    > through. Which makes the screen dim. WE end up with the worst of all
    > possible worlds, a committee compromise of a screen which tries to do
    > too much and does none of it well. Which is a shame, because it is
    > actually, underneath the gloom, a very sharp high-res screen.
    >
    > So why not take the opportunity of fitting a new screen cable (there
    > are improved versions available which won't fail) to disable the
    > backlight and make the screen back totally reflective? With paint?
    > With white paper?
    >
    > Is this feasible? Has anyone tried it?
    >
    > --
    > Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    > IPAB, Informatics, JCMB, King's Buildings, Edinburgh, EH9 3JZ, UK
    > [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

+ Reply to Thread