Not another Psion - Scion

This is a discussion on Not another Psion - Scion ; I don't think I'll be getting another Psion. I've had two psions cable fail so far, and a revo's battery died. My last 5mx cost 350, and lasted just over a year - it's not really worth it to get ...

  1. Not another Psion

    I don't think I'll be getting another Psion.

    I've had two psions cable fail so far, and a revo's battery died. My last
    5mx cost 350, and lasted just over a year - it's not really worth it to get
    it replaced now.

    I was considering a 3mx (psion still sell them), but why should I spend 130
    if I think it's just going to break in a year?

    All I really need is an organiser which can work like a diary - so I know
    what I'm doing when someone asks me to arrange a time - should really be
    simple, shouldn't it?

    Epoc 3 and 5 have the greatest program ever - Agenda - but this doesn't sync
    very well with Outlook (even with psisync it's not perfect). Then the Revo
    has rechargeable batteries which died after a year on my last one. The 5mx
    and 3mx both have screens on which the cable is going to break (in my
    experience, just after a year).

    But I'm not going to go for a palm, either - the idea of an inbuilt
    rechargeable battery really puts me off.

    So I have spent all of a 5 note, and bought a lovely Letts 2004, A4(ish -
    bit smaller), gilt-edged diary, with week-to-view.

    And that will do until I find an electronic one which suits me.

    Duncan.

  2. Re: Not another Psion

    > But I'm not going to go for a palm, either - the idea of an inbuilt
    > rechargeable battery really puts me off.

    One nice feature of Symbian smartphones (e.g. Nokia 9210, Sony Ericsson
    P800, Series 60, etc.) which noone ever seems to mention is that, being
    phone-like, they have easily replaceable rechargeable batteries. In other
    words, the best of both worlds.
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  3. Re: Not another Psion

    Hi Steve, The series5 I bought from you, is still Ok.
    I'm tempted to use it at work more often. But don't like opening and closing
    it.
    So there it sits in mi cupboard, (case open). Still gets used regularly.

    My Revo batteries last about an hour, then it switches off.
    Any mods to the Revo batteries would be greatly appreciated.
    Is there a way to bypass the charging circuit, and use 2 nimh batteries
    charged manually.
    I don't care if I have to do away with the external power supply connection.
    I'm seriously considering this option.

    Regards Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  4. Re: Not another Psion

    > My Revo batteries last about an hour, then it switches off.
    > Any mods to the Revo batteries would be greatly appreciated.
    > Is there a way to bypass the charging circuit, and use 2 nimh batteries
    > charged manually.

    Look back in this group for loads of DIY solutions for resetting the
    charge circuitry and for replacing the batteries themselves.

    All of a bit of pain in the **** though!

    8-)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  5. Re: Not another Psion

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote

    > I've had two psions cable fail so far, and a revo's battery died.

    My last
    > 5mx cost 350, and lasted just over a year - it's not really worth

    it to get
    > it replaced now.

    My 5 (bought July 98) touch screen (but not display) failed, which
    justified (to the other half!) the purchase of my first 5mx in Aug 01
    and it's still working OK - goes everywhere with me. In Jan 02 I
    bought a 'spare' 5mx that is almost unused, for when the 5mx fails.

    > I was considering a 3mx (psion still sell them), but why should I

    spend 130
    > if I think it's just going to break in a year?

    I was given a secondhand 3mx in Feb 01, which replaced a 3a for
    everyday Agenda use. So that's 3 years with me! It replaced a
    3a/512Kb bought before the 2Mb machines were available, but I dropped
    that 3a/2Mb onto a hard floor and that made the alsrm sound
    intermitent, so it then got little use. I bought the 3a/2Mb as a
    second machine because by then I could not concider being without a
    Psion for more than a day.

    > All I really need is an organiser which can work like a diary - so I

    know
    > what I'm doing when someone asks me to arrange a time - should

    really be
    > simple, shouldn't it?

    A 3a, 3c or 3mx will do that very well, which is why I don't use an
    EPOC machine for Agenda. I've now got over 9 years of Psion 3a / 3mx
    Agenda files and the only machine failure was sound due to my
    carelessness.

    > Epoc 3 and 5 have the greatest program ever - Agenda - but this

    doesn't sync
    > very well with Outlook (even with psisync it's not perfect).

    I can't understand why sync with Outlook is so important. I always
    have a Psion beside the Windows nasty box when it's in use

    > Then the Revo
    > has rechargeable batteries which died after a year on my last one.

    My Revo+ bought in April 02 is still in everyday use, some days the
    batteries only just last, so you can see how much it's used.

    Duncan you've either been unlucky or mishandled your Psions.

    Reg

  6. Re: Not another Psion

    Hi Steve,

    Alternative power arrangement for Revo is a very interesting possibility
    that I had not considered. Could you post any further links about it,
    please? Thanks,

    James Wilhelm

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote in message
    news:memo.20040221115638.1944F@slitchfield.ukonlin e.co.uk...
    > > My Revo batteries last about an hour, then it switches off.
    > > Any mods to the Revo batteries would be greatly appreciated.
    > > Is there a way to bypass the charging circuit, and use 2 nimh batteries
    > > charged manually.

    > Look back in this group for loads of DIY solutions for resetting the
    > charge circuitry and for replacing the batteries themselves.
    >
    > All of a bit of pain in the **** though!
    >
    > 8-)
    > __________________________________________________ __________________
    > Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    > For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    > Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    > Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    > Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    > PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    > PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    > Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  7. Re: Not another Psion

    Twas just an idea of mine.
    If you could sus out the 'battery/charging/external power' circuit board,
    and tap into it, you could by-pass the charging circuit bit. Trouble is,
    you've still got to charge the batteries.
    If you take them out to charge them, you'll lose all memory content on the
    Revo.
    Like I said, just an idea.
    My Revo's going on Ebay. Any offers here ?

    Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  8. Re: Not another Psion

    taximania wrote:
    > and tap into it, you could by-pass the charging circuit bit. Trouble is,
    > you've still got to charge the batteries.
    > If you take them out to charge them, you'll lose all memory content on the
    > Revo.

    If the mains adaptor supplies the same voltage as the total batteries (eg: 3
    volts if you have 2 1.5v batteries), then just bypass the circuitry and
    connect the mains input directly to the barrery leads. You need to ensure that
    mains transformer isn't too strong (you want a trickle charging), and don't
    leave it connected to the unit with the unit shut off for too long (not to
    overcharge batteries).

    The advantage is that you bypass the fancy circuitry, and can still use the
    machine whether plugged into mains or not. The disadvantage is that your
    machine will think you are on batteries even if you have the mains plugged in.
    (in terms of auto-shut off)

  9. Re: Not another Psion

    > ensure that
    > mains transformer isn't too strong (you want a trickle charging), and
    > don't

    etc. I was thinking more in terms of all the people who've reset the
    internal battery calibration with drain/freeze solutions, and who have
    successfully transplanted new NiMh cells in.
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  10. Re: Not another Psion

    I've hard reset the Revo. Popped it in a bag and put it in the freezer.
    I'll leave it an hour to chill, then plug the charger in and leave over
    night.

    Will post back tomorrow with the results. Didn't work last time.

    Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  11. Re: Not another Psion