new series of mobile products from Psion - Scion

This is a discussion on new series of mobile products from Psion - Scion ; > Now he's had to sell up because they couldnt keep up with the big boys there > and he's desperate for something to try, he's talking about trying to return > to the PDA game, without the asset that ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 30 of 30

  1. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    > Now he's had to sell up because they couldnt keep up with the big boys
    there
    > and he's desperate for something to try, he's talking about trying to

    return
    > to the PDA game, without the asset that made his pda's great, epoc and the
    > apps.

    The built-in apps are my biggest concern. I've created 135 MB of Data
    files on a netbook (they include embedded bitmaps and all font options
    e.g. print position).
    It appears to me that the ER5 emulator can't replace having an actual
    PDA, as you can't run all the apps you want on it (e.g. RMRfile for text
    searches), and more importantly, the windows clipboard and emulator
    clipboard don't have the CopyAnywhere link, so it seems to me the
    emulator can be used to view Data files you've already created but is
    pretty useless for adding much extra than the odd phone number :-(

    I think if they ever design a new "consumer netBook", a DVD drive
    for watching films on the 800x600 screen would be a killer app,
    although it might have to be an external (USB/USB2) drive?

    Oh, and fully automated Data/Word/Sheet/OPL etc import/translation!
    Moving two megabytes from SIBO to EPOC I recall was
    moderately painful. ER5 to "?" (because of the efficiency allowed
    by copyanywhere) is going to be a hundred times worse, so I'd
    hope not to have to manually make corrections!!!

    Paul

  2. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    JF Mezei wrote:

    > the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz wrote:
    >> Now, when you write "great", what exactly do you mean? Because I know
    >> a fair lot of people who would use all sorts of adjectives to
    >> describe Windows, and none of them even comes close to being a
    >> synonym of "great".

    > I didn't say Windows was great. I said it was a great example of a
    > proprietary system.
    >
    > You can also state that Windows is a great example of marketing
    > winning over quality.
    >
    > It is also a great example of a monopoly allowing such terrible
    > product quality, marketing features forcing open all sorts of holes
    > for viri to use etc etc.

    Weeelll... okay. But you have to admit that when you write "a great
    example of a proprietary system", it is hard to read it other then
    meaning that Windows is a great proprietary system, while in reality it
    is neither.
    --
    Karel "de Jazz" Jansens

    Spinoff shows that should not even be considered:
    "LAPD Turquoise".

  3. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    JF Mezei wrote:
    > Gawnsoft wrote:
    >> The answers are available at www.cantos.com, in the interviews with
    >> Potter and the Chief Exective of Psion, following the sale of their
    >> share of Symbian.

    > needed by Teklogix to produce a new generation/family of products on
    > a new
    > unified platform. In other words, re-invent a more modern version of
    > SIBO/EPOC architectures (aka the linux based one). If there is cash
    > leftover, they'll

    Modern ???? Excuse me, but to describe Linux as "modern" is really
    stretching credibility. It may have been created relatively recently, but
    "modern" is something that it definitely is not !!!!

    > widen the enterprise market to include mobile computers for mobile
    > sales

  4. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    "the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz" wrote in
    message news:c159qc$2vp$1@news.worldonline.be...

    > Enjoy:
    >
    > http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/

    Thats pretty amazing... although despite being impressed by the achievment I
    cant help thinking its kind of pointless??

  5. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    Iain wrote:

    > "the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz" wrote in
    > message news:c159qc$2vp$1@news.worldonline.be...
    >>
    >> Enjoy:
    >>
    >> http://linux-7110.sourceforge.net/
    >>

    > Thats pretty amazing... although despite being impressed by the
    > achievment I cant help thinking its kind of pointless??

    There are a few things noteworthy. A.o., if you go to the status page,
    you'll note that the linux port supports compact flash ethernet cards
    on the 5mx. All we need now is for someone to come up with a combo
    ethernet/memory card (and, of course a way to get it working with the
    door open).

    It is also conceivable to port the Zaurus Linux synchronisation
    utilities to a Linux powered 5mx and be finally done with the 5mx's
    synching woes.

    --
    Karel "de Jazz" Jansens

    Spinoff shows that should not even be considered:
    "LAPD Turquoise".

  6. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    In article , Iain
    wrote:
    > This is the man who started out as a market leader, and rather than face
    > the challange of competion in the PDA field threw it all away in search
    > of fools gold in telephony.

    > Now he's had to sell up because they couldnt keep up with the big boys
    > there and he's desperate for something to try, he's talking about trying
    > to return to the PDA game, without the asset that made his pda's great,
    > epoc and the apps.

    > This is not a strategy, its just empty talk from someone who lost the
    > way three years ago. Why oh why did they not develop the pda's. There
    > were many of us who would have paid a premium price for modern hardware
    > and epoc's continued development..

    I would accept what you say if I saw any sign of an active market in PDAs.
    Palm is having difficulty, and many of the others have disappeared. If I
    were in the market for a new machine at the moment it would almost
    certainly be one of the clever phones. I have a Nokia 7650, and this will
    do about 75% of what I need from a PDA - and it's always with me.

    --
    __ __ __ __ __ ___ _____________________________________________
    |__||__)/ __/ \|\ ||_ | / Acorn StrongArm Risc_PC
    | || \\__/\__/| \||__ | /...Internet access for all Acorn RISC machines
    ___________________________/ dhwild@argonet.co.uk

  7. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    Colas Nahaboo wrote:

    > In article <1vkZb.25808$zm5.7672@nntpserver.swip.net>,
    > AM Christophe writes:
    >>X on a PDA is a kind of jocke as PDA loose refresh speed as the need to
    >>use the network stack to display X windows (bad day for graphical
    >>applications). Anyway, as it is the standard on desktop...

    > Mmm, you do not know what you are talking here...
    > X does not require a network stack.
    > For instance, quake under X was running faster than its msdos version on
    > the same hardware (using unix sockets, not network sockets).
    >
    > However, X requires separate memory space for the client and server, so
    > this intrinsequely consumes more memory and is not adapted to a PDA
    > environment. Thus linux on mobile devices typically do not use X but
    > graphical system sharing graphic memory with the applications.
    >
    > So X is not slow... but it is too big :-)

    Just read here and try to use google to understand the word network too:

    http://users.actcom.co.il/~choo/lupg...ogramming.html

    Have you ever try to understand how you could connect to and X11 server
    remotely and how is used the DISPLAY=localhost:0.0. Don't you ever use
    connect and bind to develop network applications (even if instead of TCP/IP
    you prefer to use local communication stack)?

  8. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    Dr. Dweeb wrote:

    > Modern ???? Excuse me, but to describe Linux as "modern" is really
    > stretching credibility. It may have been created relatively recently,
    > but "modern" is something that it definitely is not !!!!

    That is correct. He should have written: "Bleeding cutting edge".
    --
    Karel "de Jazz" Jansens

    Spinoff shows that should not even be considered:
    "LAPD Turquoise".

  9. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    On Saturday, in article
    theuniverse@theedge.now "the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz"
    wrote:

    > JF Mezei wrote:

    > > Ric wrote:

    > >> The *only* thing wrong with EPOC OSwas that it was not open source!

    > > No. Open Source is not necessary for success. Windows being a great
    > > example of proprietary system.

    > Now, when you write "great", what exactly do you mean? Because I know a
    > fair lot of people who would use all sorts of adjectives to describe
    > Windows, and none of them even comes close to being a synonym of
    > "great".

    "...great example of a proprietary system" not "...example of a great
    proprietary system".
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  10. Re: new series of mobile products from Psion

    Quoth raj@rijhwani.org (Raj Rijhwani):
    [munch]
    >"...great example of a proprietary system" not "...example of a great
    >proprietary system".

    Agreed. Syntax can be a useful thing, at times.
    --

    ~~ Paul Gilham ~~

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2