psion 56k pcmcia modem - Scion

This is a discussion on psion 56k pcmcia modem - Scion ; Hi Please excuse me and direct me to the right place if i am in the wrong ng for this. I have just installed a psion WAN Global 56k modem pcmcia card into a Dell laptop but cant get connected ...

  1. psion 56k pcmcia modem

    Hi
    Please excuse me and direct me to the right place if i am in the wrong ng
    for this.

    I have just installed a psion WAN Global 56k modem pcmcia card into a Dell
    laptop but cant get connected to the internet. It tells me the line is busy
    but when i call it on the telephone it is answering.

    The card is not showing any conflicts or errors and runs the self check in
    diagnostics ok. OS is Windows 98.

    any advice appreciated

    thanks

    Gary

  2. Re: psion 56k pcmcia modem

    "geepeetee" wrote in message
    > Hi
    > Please excuse me and direct me to the right place if i am in the wrong ng
    > for this.
    >
    > I have just installed a psion WAN Global 56k modem pcmcia card into a Dell
    > laptop but cant get connected to the internet. It tells me the line is

    busy
    > but when i call it on the telephone it is answering.
    >
    > The card is not showing any conflicts or errors and runs the self check in
    > diagnostics ok. OS is Windows 98.

    Ensure that the modem is configured for the UK telephone standard. I am
    aware of a number of modems that if configured for some foreign standards
    (notably the US), they pick up incorrect info from the UK phone line. One
    modem sold by PC world for 9.99 was a US modem and reported line busy
    *until* you picked up another phone and then it worked!

    Ian.

  3. Re: psion 56k pcmcia modem

    Hi

    Thanks for reply, can this configuration be reset in the software or is the
    modem manufactured for a particular standard.

    thanks

    Gary
    "Electric Fan Club" wrote in
    message news:4034b48b$1@baen1673807.greenlnk.net...

    > "geepeetee" wrote in message
    > > Hi
    > > Please excuse me and direct me to the right place if i am in the wrong

    ng
    > > for this.
    > >
    > > I have just installed a psion WAN Global 56k modem pcmcia card into a

    Dell
    > > laptop but cant get connected to the internet. It tells me the line is

    > busy
    > > but when i call it on the telephone it is answering.
    > >
    > > The card is not showing any conflicts or errors and runs the self check

    in
    > > diagnostics ok. OS is Windows 98.
    > >

    > Ensure that the modem is configured for the UK telephone standard. I am
    > aware of a number of modems that if configured for some foreign standards
    > (notably the US), they pick up incorrect info from the UK phone line. One
    > modem sold by PC world for 9.99 was a US modem and reported line busy
    > *until* you picked up another phone and then it worked!
    >
    > Ian.

+ Reply to Thread