Psion 3mx or Palm Tungsten E? - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion 3mx or Palm Tungsten E? - Scion ; Hi All, Need a new organiser... have a few questions! How well does the 3mx and Outlook 2002 sync?? I was totally fed-up with the wierd way my 5mx was syncing with Outlook - incredibly annoying. Is the 3mx screen ...

  1. Psion 3mx or Palm Tungsten E?

    Hi All,

    Need a new organiser... have a few questions!

    How well does the 3mx and Outlook 2002 sync?? I was totally fed-up with the
    wierd way my 5mx was syncing with Outlook - incredibly annoying.

    Is the 3mx screen better than the 5mx's?? This is quite important for me,
    as the 5mx often caused me to squint, and sometimes I found it hard viewing.
    The Palm Tungsten E has an exceptionally clear screen (though hardly any
    battery life) - which is really nice on the eyes. The screen on my old 3a
    was excellent.

    Am thinking of getting a palm because they are supposed to sync better with
    outlook - then I can use the keyboard on my laptop to edit my agenda, and
    transfer it across - then use graffiti during the day. I would miss the
    keyboard though. And the ability to buy normal batteries - I don't even
    think the Palm Tungsten E even has replaceable batteries! (This is what put
    me off the Revo - when my batteries died, replacing it was almost as
    expensive as a new one).

    Thanks in advance!!

    Duncan.

  2. Re: Psion 3mx or Palm Tungsten E?

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote in message
    > Hi All,
    >
    > Need a new organiser... have a few questions!
    >
    > How well does the 3mx and Outlook 2002 sync?? I was totally fed-up with

    the
    > wierd way my 5mx was syncing with Outlook - incredibly annoying.

    It syncs like a charm if you PsiSync rather than PsiWin. This is a brilliant
    piece of software that does far more than PsiWin, even syncs Jotter to
    Outlook Notes and syncs e-mail as well. I'm convinced that Psion could have
    had a world beater if they had bundled PsiSync with the Series 3.

    > Is the 3mx screen better than the 5mx's?? This is quite important for me,
    > as the 5mx often caused me to squint, and sometimes I found it hard

    viewing.
    > The Palm Tungsten E has an exceptionally clear screen (though hardly any
    > battery life) - which is really nice on the eyes. The screen on my old 3a
    > was excellent.

    The 3mx is not as good as the 3a although nothing, except the Revo, ever
    came close to the 3a. The 3mx is still very readable and leaps above the
    5mx. The T|E, of course, with it's 320x320 hi res color screen, is far
    better than any Psion when it comes to screen readability.

    > Am thinking of getting a palm because they are supposed to sync better

    with
    > outlook - then I can use the keyboard on my laptop to edit my agenda, and
    > transfer it across - then use graffiti during the day. I would miss the
    > keyboard though. And the ability to buy normal batteries - I don't even
    > think the Palm Tungsten E even has replaceable batteries! (This is what

    put
    > me off the Revo - when my batteries died, replacing it was almost as
    > expensive as a new one).

    The T|E doesn't not have user replaceable batteries. Like all rechargeable
    batteries, they will eventually wear out. What put me off the Revo was not
    the rechargeable batteries - it was the lack of any external storage card so
    there was no way to back up and restore when you were away from home. In
    terms of syncing to Outlook, a 3mx using PsiSync is better in some ways than
    Pocket Mirror on the T|E. Where the Psion falls down is that syncing and
    backing up are a two step operation. It's only one step with the Palm and
    very much faster. Yu can learn graffiti although it's graffiti2 on the T|E.
    Some veteran Palm users claim that G2 is not as easy as G1 but you wouldn't
    know any difference if you've never used a Palm before.

    If I had a chance to get a pristine 3mx I'd seriously consider it as a
    replacement for a 5mx. It's fast, the screen is far better, it's smaller,
    and the programs have some distinct advantages over either a 5mx or a T|E.
    The downside is that you've got very limited memory, SSD's range from
    unavailable to incredibly expensive, there's no new software being written
    for it, and the IR is not compatible with things like IR phones. The upside
    is long batty life with easily replaceable AA cells, a very readable screen
    with a good backlight, and very good built-in programs. You're going to have
    to consider how you want to use your next PDA and if the T|E better suits
    your needs than the older, but still functional, 3mx.

    Regards, Jim

+ Reply to Thread