Sympathy Please - Scion

This is a discussion on Sympathy Please - Scion ; My 5mx has just decided to enter into the expressiveness of modern art, through the medium of horizontal lines, rather than tell me what my Agenda is for tomorrow. sob. (i.e. the cable has gone, I think). Luckily I left ...

  1. Sympathy Please

    My 5mx has just decided to enter into the expressiveness of modern art,
    through the medium of horizontal lines, rather than tell me what my Agenda
    is for tomorrow. sob. (i.e. the cable has gone, I think).

    Luckily I left the IR connection on, and at the right connection, and, for
    the first time ever, my psion connected immediately to my laptop and
    backed-up without a hitch!

    Can anyone offer condolences/suggestions/quick-fixes/replacement models?

    Duncan.

  2. Re: Sympathy Please

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote in

    > My 5mx has just decided to enter into the expressiveness of modern
    > art, through the medium of horizontal lines, rather than tell me what
    > my Agenda is for tomorrow. sob. (i.e. the cable has gone, I
    > think).
    >
    > Luckily I left the IR connection on, and at the right connection, and,
    > for the first time ever, my psion connected immediately to my laptop
    > and backed-up without a hitch!
    >
    > Can anyone offer condolences/suggestions/quick-fixes/replacement
    > models?
    >
    > Duncan.

    My condolences! Been there, done that

    Suggestions: have it repaired (in NL about 100 EUR), get another 5mx.

    Quick fix: use the emulator to use your agenda & EPOC files

    Replacement: yes of course! Is there another option?

    Good luck,
    Fred

  3. Re: Sympathy Please

    From comp.sys.psion ...

    For people having problems with their screen on Psion 5 or 5mx it is
    probably your screen flexi cable that has a break in it. Fix your flexi
    using a cable from www.psionflexi.co.uk.

    Dr. Dweeb

    Duncan James Murray wrote:
    > My 5mx has just decided to enter into the expressiveness of modern
    > art, through the medium of horizontal lines, rather than tell me what
    > my Agenda is for tomorrow. sob. (i.e. the cable has gone, I
    > think).
    >
    > Luckily I left the IR connection on, and at the right connection,
    > and, for the first time ever, my psion connected immediately to my
    > laptop and backed-up without a hitch!
    >
    > Can anyone offer condolences/suggestions/quick-fixes/replacement
    > models?
    >
    > Duncan.

  4. Re: Sympathy Please

    Make sure you have a low power soldering iron (~12 or 15W) and can solder
    fine tracks (closer than the normal 0.1") before you attempt this. Or get
    them to do it.

    "Dr. Dweeb" wrote in message
    > From comp.sys.psion ...
    >
    > For people having problems with their screen on Psion 5 or 5mx it is
    > probably your screen flexi cable that has a break in it. Fix your flexi
    > using a cable from www.psionflexi.co.uk.
    >
    > Dr. Dweeb
    >
    > Duncan James Murray wrote:
    > > My 5mx has just decided to enter into the expressiveness of modern
    > > art, through the medium of horizontal lines, rather than tell me what
    > > my Agenda is for tomorrow. sob. (i.e. the cable has gone, I
    > > think).
    > >
    > > Luckily I left the IR connection on, and at the right connection,
    > > and, for the first time ever, my psion connected immediately to my
    > > laptop and backed-up without a hitch!
    > >
    > > Can anyone offer condolences/suggestions/quick-fixes/replacement
    > > models?
    > >
    > > Duncan.

    ---

  5. Re: Sympathy Please

    Full condolences mate, it's sad when you lose a PDA.

    For the regulars who know me here, my S5 I got from Steve Litchfield is
    still alive, in the open position, in a cupboard. And used most days.

    5 Alive. A dying breed.

    Barry
    www.taximania.net

    ---

  6. Re: Sympathy Please

    Indeed. The cables will be available in a couple of weeks.

    Dweeb.