New Apple PDA rumour - Scion

This is a discussion on New Apple PDA rumour - Scion ; Hello all, A rumour that Apple will release a hard-drive-based PDA has been boosted by an announcement from Palm that they will discontinue Mac support for their new operating system. In a way we have all been expecting an Apple ...

  1. New Apple PDA rumour

    Hello all,

    A rumour that Apple will release a hard-drive-based PDA has been
    boosted by an announcement from Palm that they will discontinue Mac
    support for their new operating system. In a way we have all been
    expecting an Apple PDA since they released the iPod, which has a hard
    drive.
    http://www.macnet2.com/more.php?id=455_0_1_0

    More rumours:

    POS might release the bluetooth Revo;
    http://www.revoworld.com/dbShowNews.asp?ID=788

    the Netbook Pro may be released with Symbian OS if the petition work
    is successful;
    http://www.pdastreet.com/forums/show...threadid=21089

    and Nokia may release a new communicator with 3G, bluetooth, a better
    keyboard, and an updated Symbian operating system this year.
    http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/devic...icle.php?id=52

    With the rumoured Apple and Nokia devices, I wonder how that
    influences possible releases from the smaller companies POS and Psion
    Teklogix. Mostly, a new Nokia with a keyboard would compete with a
    Revo and new Netbook, since they are keyboarded Symbian devices for
    Psion die-hards, and we hope, a new generation of fans.

    Erik Sandblom

  2. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    I hope that at least one of these comes to pass, then I can finally
    replace my 5MX with it's awful screen

  3. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    "Loz H" wrote in message
    news:MPG.1a9830513045fb66989687@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > I hope that at least one of these comes to pass, then I can finally
    > replace my 5MX with it's awful screen

    It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want something
    like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out for a PDA!

    Martin

  4. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    > > I hope that at least one of these comes to pass, then I can finally
    > > replace my 5MX with it's awful screen

    > It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want something
    > like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out for a PDA!

    I've just had the screen repaired and it now works; but the contrast and
    backlight are worse than the previous one

  5. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    "Martin" wrote in message

    > "Loz H" wrote in message
    > news:MPG.1a9830513045fb66989687@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > > I hope that at least one of these comes to pass, then I can finally
    > > replace my 5MX with it's awful screen

    > It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want something
    > like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out for a

    PDA!

    > Martin

    Where do you get 50 repairs, and what is fixed for that?
    The Pinnock repairs start at 75, going to 125
    Plus carriage costs.

    ---

  6. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    "AlanS" wrote in message

    > "Martin" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Loz H" wrote in message
    > > news:MPG.1a9830513045fb66989687@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > > > I hope that at least one of these comes to pass, then I can finally
    > > > replace my 5MX with it's awful screen

    > > It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want

    something
    > > like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out for a

    > PDA!
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >

    > Where do you get 50 repairs, and what is fixed for that?
    > The Pinnock repairs start at 75, going to 125
    > Plus carriage costs.
    >
    > ---

    I was talking ball park, still cheaper than what it costs Apple to change a
    battery.

    Martin

  7. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    "Martin" wrote in message

    > "AlanS" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "Martin" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Loz H" wrote in message
    > > > news:MPG.1a9830513045fb66989687@text.news.virgin.n et...
    > > >
    > > > It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want

    > something
    > > > like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out for

    > > PDA!
    > > >
    > > > Martin
    > > >

    > > Where do you get 50 repairs, and what is fixed for that?
    > > The Pinnock repairs start at 75, going to 125
    > > Plus carriage costs.
    > >
    > > ---

    > I was talking ball park, still cheaper than what it costs Apple to change

    > battery.
    >
    > Martin

    Why not use 200 as your ball park? Oh- it doesn't help you to be right.
    Over 50 % out is a bit of a wild statement, not so much ballpark.

    ---

  8. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    "AlanS" wrote in message

    > "Martin" wrote in message
    > >
    > > "AlanS" wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > "Martin" wrote in message

    finally

    > > something

    for
    > > > PDA!

    > > > Where do you get 50 repairs, and what is fixed for that?
    > > > The Pinnock repairs start at 75, going to 125
    > > > Plus carriage costs.
    > > >
    > > > ---

    > > I was talking ball park, still cheaper than what it costs Apple to

    change
    > > battery.
    > >
    > > Martin
    > >

    > Why not use 200 as your ball park? Oh- it doesn't help you to be right.
    > Over 50 % out is a bit of a wild statement, not so much ballpark.

    It's still cheaper to get aPsion repaired that it is to get an Ipod batery
    repaired.

    Martin

  9. Re: New Apple PDA rumour

    Martin wrote:

    >>> It only cost 50 to repair your Psion. At the moment Apple want
    >>> something
    >>> like 90 to fix duff Ipod batteries. Hope they sort their act out
    >>> for a PDA!

    > > Why not use 200 as your ball park? Oh- it doesn't help you to be right.
    > > Over 50 % out is a bit of a wild statement, not so much ballpark.

    > It's still cheaper to get aPsion repaired that it is to get an Ipod batery
    > repaired.
    >
    > Martin

    "Apple is offering UK iPod owners who are experiencing reduced charge on
    their iPod battery the chance to replace their battery for 79 " and
    "Apple's UK PR manager David Millar said: "The battery could quite
    happily go on for five years. But if you used it all day every day it's
    going to have a shorter lifespan than if it's something you use on the
    train three times a week for 20 minutes at a time" from:
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/index.cfm...view&news=3774

    The initial iPod battery story has long since been attributed to sloppy
    reporting with strong suspicion as to where it originated. Vested
    interests may well have influenced lazy journalists. It is the iPods
    user support, few complaints come from the users I know, which hold
    testament to Apples ability to inovate and provide quality products.
    There have been persistant rumours of an Apple PDA since the Newton was
    abandoned however it seems more speculation than fact.

    A Jonathon Ive designed and Apple built PDA could certainly freshen the
    PDA scene.

    Regards
    Andy80F

+ Reply to Thread