Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port??? - Scion

This is a discussion on Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port??? - Scion ; My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are sans-serial. So, the question is (are) : 1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK? 2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to ...

  1. Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???

    My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are
    sans-serial. So, the question is (are) :

    1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK?
    2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ?

    Any help would be appreciated...

    Adrian

  2. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???

    >My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are
    >sans-serial. So, the question is (are) :
    >
    >1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK?
    >2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ?

    A USB to serial adapter will work fine.

    IR between laptop and Psion should work but I do believe there were some
    problems with Windows 2000.

    Bob G

  3. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???

    Works o.k. if you have this:

    http://www.ircomm2k.de

    Duncan.

    "Bob G" wrote in message
    > >My boss needs a new laptop, but all the ones he's looking at are
    > >sans-serial. So, the question is (are) :
    > >
    > >1) Would a USB-Serial adaptor work OK?
    > >2) Is there any way of getting the Psion to talk to the PC via IRd ?
    > >

    > A USB to serial adapter will work fine.
    >
    > IR between laptop and Psion should work but I do believe there were some
    > problems with Windows 2000.
    >

    > Bob G

  4. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote in message
    > Works o.k. if you have this:
    >
    > http://www.ircomm2k.de
    >
    > Duncan.

    Thanks for the info...that explains why I could never get the Revo working
    with a USB IRd device on XP...

    Adrian

  5. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port???

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote in message
    > Works o.k. if you have this:
    >
    > http://www.ircomm2k.de
    >
    > Duncan.

    Duncan

    My boss has downloaded the above software, but still has problems.

    The installed IR software (which came with the USB device) reports something
    like "Sybian EPOC device in range" then "Receiving device actively refuses
    connection". PsiWin, configured with the newly added virtual COM port just
    refuses to connect.

    Any ideas??

    Adrian

  6. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port??? - more

    "Duncan James Murray" wrote in message
    > Works o.k. if you have this:
    >
    > http://www.ircomm2k.de
    >
    > Duncan.

    The above site says that there is a known bug which results in PsiWin not
    working with this... Does anyone have PsiWin + Revo/series5 + WinXP +
    InfraRed actuall working????

    Adrian

  7. Re: Revo / PsiWin with laptop and no Serial port??? - more

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 11:44:43 -0000, "Adrian"
    wrote:

    >"Duncan James Murray" wrote in message
    >> Works o.k. if you have this:
    >>
    >> http://www.ircomm2k.de
    >>
    >> Duncan.

    >The above site says that there is a known bug which results in PsiWin not
    >working with this... Does anyone have PsiWin + Revo/series5 + WinXP +
    >InfraRed actuall working????
    >
    >Adrian

    Adrian,

    I have PsiWin 2.3.3, an S5, an Ericsson MC218, 2 Revo/Makos, and a
    NetBook working over a USB connected ActiSys 2000UL IR eye link on a
    Dell desktop. Everything works.

    Only the MC218 is used to synchronize with Outlook and synchronization
    works well. The other machines connect over the IR link for backup
    and file transfers only.

    All the Psions have Plbeam installed which may or may not be necessary
    for a connection with XP and you may want to look into that. (
    www.psiloc.com )

    I am running the Beta2 version of ircomm2k on the desktop.

    Once in a while the systems don't recognize each other but I find that
    by turning off the IR link on the Psion and then turning it back on it
    works to sort of "wake-up" the IR connection on the desktop. I
    sometimes have to do that more than once but for the most part things
    work seamlessly.

    Rick Grant
    Calgary Canada

+ Reply to Thread