5mx to p900 ? - Scion

This is a discussion on 5mx to p900 ? - Scion ; Hello, I am a 3a/5mx/MC218 user since many years and I have been, for a while, thinking about migrating to a P900. Not quite as good, I know, but smaller and some more functions.... The same opsys, but as I ...

  1. 5mx to p900 ?

    Hello,

    I am a 3a/5mx/MC218 user since many years and I have been, for a while,
    thinking about migrating to a P900. Not quite as good, I know, but smaller
    and some more functions....

    The same opsys, but as I understand it, it's a quite different filesystem.
    correct?

    And I guess the shareware I have on the psion won't be xferable, right?

    someone who did this migration?
    Is it quite an other environment or can I reuse, after converting, word &
    sheet files etc?

    Conversion of Agenda and Contact files?

    thanks for any hints on these items.

    br Nils A

  2. Re: 5mx to p900 ?

    > And I guess the shareware I have on the psion won't be xferable, right?
    >
    > someone who did this migration?
    > Is it quite an other environment or can I reuse, after converting, word
    > &
    > sheet files etc?

    There's a bit of info on all this already on my site, although if there's
    enough interest I'd be quite happy to write a dedicated 'Psion to UIQ'
    upgrade guide.

    Upgrading to a modern Symbian 7.0 device is certainly not trivial, and no
    apps or documents can be re-used directly, but the effort of upgrading
    does bring a lot of other benefits.
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  3. Re: 5mx to p900 ?

    In article <6KPWb.82492$dP1.219104@newsc.telia.net>,
    "Nils A" writes:
    >The same opsys, but as I understand it, it's a quite different filesystem.
    >correct?

    Yes. Note that the "System" folders are quite the same, though

    >And I guess the shareware I have on the psion won't be xferable, right?

    None of them.

    >someone who did this migration?
    >Is it quite an other environment or can I reuse, after converting, word &
    >sheet files etc?

    The only practical conversion path is via psion -> MS Office -> P900
    You can also use some text, html, vcal&vcard formats, but nothing
    automatic. Be prepared for lots of manual conversion. There is no direct
    nor obvious path.

    >Conversion of Agenda and Contact files?

    Should work converting back & forth in Outlook

    --
    Colas Nahaboo, ILOG R&D Sophia Antipolis, http://colas.nahaboo.net

+ Reply to Thread