Thank goodness for extended guarantees! - Scion

This is a discussion on Thank goodness for extended guarantees! - Scion ; Two years ago I noticed that PC World were selling off Psion 5mx at 199, and decided that I needed a spare as mine was showing signs of wear & tear. (cracks in case etc.) However, PC World pointed out ...

  1. Thank goodness for extended guarantees!

    Two years ago I noticed that PC World were selling off Psion 5mx at
    199, and decided that I needed a spare as mine was showing signs of
    wear & tear. (cracks in case etc.) However, PC World pointed out that as
    I had a business account with them (which I'd never used), I could have
    a 15% discount. Then offered me an extended guarantee for 30. So no
    extra costs than I had 'budgeted'. In the light of the cracks in my old
    Psion (and my earlier 3a had gone the same way) I went for it.

    I retired the old Psion and started using the new one. Well, last
    November, I had some problems with the power supply - switching on reset
    the power. "Oh!", I thought, "cable problems." The case was also
    showing small cracks around the hinge.

    I rang the guarantors who said ring Psion. Psion said fax us the
    guarantee. Nothing happened. After Christmas I chased Psion. "Fax us
    the guarantee" they said. Nothing. I rang "You were supposed to ring us
    back after faxing us!" they said. ;-) They found the fax, arranged
    collection to go to their repairing company Concord Logistics in Milton
    Keynes.

    Two weeks later I have received a nice new 5mx - well it looks new -
    they seem to have changed everything except the serial number! New
    screen - no scratches, new case - no cracks, new cable - they say, new
    board because of power problems.

    Now my temporary unretired old Psion that has been serving me well for
    the last two months goes back into retirement and I start with a new
    Psion.

    Thanks to PC World for selling me an extended guarantee, thanks to Psion
    Teklogix for repairing it.

    Good eh? ;-)

    Mike
    --
    Michael J Davis
    <><

  2. Re: Thank goodness for extended guarantees!

    "Michael J Davis" schreef in bericht

    > Two years ago I noticed that PC World were selling off Psion 5mx at
    > 199, and decided that I needed a spare as mine was showing signs of
    > wear & tear. (cracks in case etc.) However, PC World pointed out that as
    > I had a business account with them (which I'd never used), I could have
    > a 15% discount. Then offered me an extended guarantee for 30. So no
    > extra costs than I had 'budgeted'. In the light of the cracks in my old
    > Psion (and my earlier 3a had gone the same way) I went for it.
    >
    > I retired the old Psion and started using the new one. Well, last
    > November, I had some problems with the power supply - switching on reset
    > the power. "Oh!", I thought, "cable problems." The case was also
    > showing small cracks around the hinge.
    >
    > I rang the guarantors who said ring Psion. Psion said fax us the
    > guarantee. Nothing happened. After Christmas I chased Psion. "Fax us
    > the guarantee" they said. Nothing. I rang "You were supposed to ring us
    > back after faxing us!" they said. ;-) They found the fax, arranged
    > collection to go to their repairing company Concord Logistics in Milton
    > Keynes.
    >
    > Two weeks later I have received a nice new 5mx - well it looks new -
    > they seem to have changed everything except the serial number! New
    > screen - no scratches, new case - no cracks, new cable - they say, new
    > board because of power problems.
    >
    > Now my temporary unretired old Psion that has been serving me well for
    > the last two months goes back into retirement and I start with a new
    > Psion.
    >
    > Thanks to PC World for selling me an extended guarantee, thanks to Psion
    > Teklogix for repairing it.
    >
    > Good eh? ;-)
    >
    > Mike
    > --
    > Michael J Davis
    > <><
    > "Guinea pig" is just the name given
    > to the first lemming to jump!

    Yup, same here with a prolonged Dixons guarantee.
    First repair worth of 180 euros, second of 165 euros... and the guarantee
    itself (for 3 years) only costed me 70 euros !

    The best insurance I ever bought.

+ Reply to Thread