icons: cool or goofy? - Scion

This is a discussion on icons: cool or goofy? - Scion ; Hello all, I'm writing a little application for my Malay Netbook and Revo. The plan is to release it publicly when it's ready, and so I'm wondering what I should do about icons on the toolbar. The Psion EIKON style ...

  1. icons: cool or goofy?

    Hello all,

    I'm writing a little application for my Malay Netbook and Revo. The
    plan is to release it publicly when it's ready, and so I'm wondering
    what I should do about icons on the toolbar.

    The Psion EIKON style guide says an icon says a thousand words, ie,
    the brain reads and understands icons quicker than text. But I
    actually find the Psion button icons generally ugly, hard to
    understand, and, well, geeky. It's not that I could do better, I'm
    really not a graphic artist at all. I just don't like them.

    The only Psion icons I like are the Revo silkscreen ones. They look
    nice and are sufficiently different to make them quick to "read". The
    netbook silkscreen icons are more square and thus more similar. The
    Revo doesn't even have icons on the button bar at all.

    So my question is, should I just skip the icons? If I try hard, I may
    be able to make one or two nice icons on the 256-colour netbook, but
    if I manage to create good icons for all my buttons on both colour and
    grayscale, I'll be very surprised.

    What do you think -- will my application look unprofessional or
    unfinished if it doesn't have icons?

    Erik Sandblom

  2. Re: icons: cool or goofy?

    Icons are a good idea imho.

    Why not just copy one of the freely available ones?

    Andy

  3. Re: icons: cool or goofy?

    "AndyH" wrote in message news:...
    > Icons are a good idea imho.
    >
    > Why not just copy one of the freely available ones?

    You mean from Sketch?

  4. Re: icons: cool or goofy?

    No, sorry, I always managed to explain myself badly - not bad for one who
    teaches for a living!!

    Copy an icon design from one from the internet that are free. Make it look
    slightly different for the sake of copyright!

    Andy

+ Reply to Thread