Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia - Scion

This is a discussion on Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia - Scion ; Surprised nothing has been posted here about Psion selling its stake in Symbian to Nokia and the resulting drop in Psion share price by 31%. "Nokia, the world's leading maker of mobile phones, is to take control of Symbian, the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

  1. Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Surprised nothing has been posted here about Psion selling its stake in
    Symbian to Nokia and the resulting drop in Psion share price by 31%.

    "Nokia, the world's leading maker of mobile phones, is to take control of
    Symbian, the leading supplier of the smart-phone operating systems, by
    acquiring a 31.1 per cent Symbian stake held by Psion for an estimated
    135.7m ($252.2m).

    Psion shares fell more than 31 per cent to 66.5p in early trade as the
    price disappointed shareholders, and investors were left concerned about
    the company's future after the sale of what many consider to be its most
    important asset."

    Apparently...

    "The sale of Symbian leaves Psion to focus on its core Teklogix business"

    Seems like a somewhat odd move as Symbian can't really have reached its
    peak potential yet and according to the FT, Psion initiated the sale
    rather than Nokia.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  2. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    First Psion Software and now the stake in Symbian. There is nothing
    "Psion" in "Psion-Teklogix" any more. The company has clearly focused
    on building niche hardware using 3rd party (Microsoft, at that)
    software. I was considering stocking up on used 5's, but why bother
    any more. I may just as well hope Clive Sinclair is going to release a
    follow-up to Z88.

    Now, if Teklogix were to be so eager to shed any vestige of Psion's
    glory days as to actually shove ER5 and its source out into the open,
    it could be a great foundation for a hobby PDA project. There is
    certainly quite a few relatively cheap XScale-based no-name PDAs that
    would look better with ER5+ on them than Linux. ;-)

  3. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    B wrote:

    > As a matter of fact this indicates Psion's wish to totally leave the
    > consumer market for the corporate market. Once again though Psion has made
    > an illogical decision.

    What I find interesting is that PSION has essentially divested all of itself,
    and all that is remamining is the Teklogix company as it was before PSION
    bought into it.

    Dave Potter should have sold his shares in PSION, allowing someone else to
    make it work. With the proceeds, Potter could have purchased what he really
    wanted (Teklogix).

    It is as if Potter had given up on PSION and didn't want anyone else to take
    care of his baby.

  4. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    [Interleaved quotes: read to end for all comments]
    begin quote from Steve Hodgson in comp.sys.psion.misc
    about: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    > Surprised nothing has been posted here about Psion selling its stake in
    > Symbian to Nokia and the resulting drop in Psion share price by 31%.
    >
    > "Nokia, the world's leading maker of mobile phones, is to take control of
    > Symbian, the leading supplier of the smart-phone operating systems, by
    > acquiring a 31.1 per cent Symbian stake held by Psion for an estimated
    > 135.7m ($252.2m).

    I presume this is Psion selling its entire stake in Symbian?

    I suppose this really does mean the end of Psion as we know it.
    It was always a very long shot that Psion would be able to re-enter the
    market with updated Psion PDAs, and I guess this means that definitely
    won't happen now.

    I doubt Nokia will be interested in developing stand-alone PDAs (as
    they'd probably have done so by now if they were). Even with all the
    Symbian PDA features built-in to modern mobile phones, the lack of keyboard
    is a killer. Yes, there are the 9000 series phones but they're too bulky
    as stand-alone phones (ie, not pocket-sized) and the advantage of a
    separate PDA is that you don't always want to have a PDA with you,
    unlike a phone.

    I guess I'll need to look to Palm if and when I decide to upgrade..

    --
    David Marsh, |
    Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] | http://web.viewport.co.uk/ |
    >Please help me by correcting any errors in my foreign language posts!<
    >Please trim & interleave quotes otherwise your posts will not be read<

  5. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    > Symbian PDA features built-in to modern mobile phones, the lack of
    > keyboard is a killer.

    Not now that there are freeware keyboard drivers for both Series 60 and
    UIQ. So, for example, my P800 has totally taken over from my Psion. It
    does far more in most areas than the Psion (now that Quickoffice is out),
    is far smaller, much more readable. And if I want to enter more than 20 or
    30 characters of text, I just enable the keyboard driver and use my Palm
    Wireless Keyboard, with its desktop-size keys. Most articles added to
    3-Lib in the last few months were drafted out in this way.

    Works for me!
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Publishing editor, YourSymbian - http://www.yoursymbian.com/
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  6. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    David Marsh wrote in

    Not specifically replying to the previous post here...

    Anyone interested in this subject should head over to The Register
    (http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/64/35444.html) and check what reads
    like an obituary for the Psion we all knew.

    Cheers,

    Steve

    --
    Email: steve 'at' shodgson 'dot' org 'dot' uk

  7. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Steve Hodgson writes
    >David Marsh wrote in
    >
    >Not specifically replying to the previous post here...
    >
    >Anyone interested in this subject should head over to The Register
    >(http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/64/35444.html) and check what reads
    >like an obituary for the Psion we all knew.

    Maybe it's no coincidence that Psion and Phoenix start with the same letter.
    Checkout Guy Kewney's analysis at:

    Briefly, he says that Symbian had leant just too much towards phones, which
    are not Psion's core business. There is a demand for Linux on the current
    Netbook - the implication is that WinCE is just a quick fix for today's
    market. He expects Psion to move over to Linux in a big way, with other PDA's
    to follow (hooray!), and spend their Symbian cash doing it.
    So - goodbye EPOC and a poorly Psion product line, hello Linux and a healthy
    Psion product line.

    BTW, hasn't OPL been ported to Linux, or something like that? I'm sure it's
    been open-sourced: now we know why.

    Just hope my Series 5 lasts out (OT: bought it the day they came out, and
    never had the slightest trouble with my screen cable. Sounds like an MX-
    specific problem to me).

    Cheers,
    Guy Inchbald

  8. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Guy Inchbald wrote:

    >Just hope my Series 5 lasts out (OT: bought it the day they came out, and
    >never had the slightest trouble with my screen cable. Sounds like an MX-
    >specific problem to me).

    Having been through two screen cables on a Series 5 I can assure
    you that it isn't an MX-specific problem.

    --
    Mike Humberston
    WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.

  9. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    "B" wrote:

    >As a matter of fact this indicates Psion's wish to totally leave the
    >consumer market for the corporate market. Once again though Psion has made
    >an illogical decision.

    On the contrary it is entirely logical. Also Psion are not
    currently in the consumer market so how can they wish to leave
    it?

    Symbian has no relevance to Psion's current range of products.
    Their investment in Symbian is unlikely to give them a very good
    return and is tying up capital which they could probably more
    effectively use within their actual business. Disposing of their
    Symbian shares therefor looks like a very logical decision.
    --
    Mike Humberston
    WARNING: Spam trap in operation. Send any e-mail reply to mike, not oblivion.

  10. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Mike Humberston writes:

    >Guy Inchbald wrote:

    >>Just hope my Series 5 lasts out (OT: bought it the day they came out, and
    >>never had the slightest trouble with my screen cable. Sounds like an MX-
    >>specific problem to me).

    >Having been through two screen cables on a Series 5 I can assure
    >you that it isn't an MX-specific problem.

    Had my heavily used 5mx for three years now. No sign of the cable
    problem yet. Is this an inevitable problem?

    --
    Chris Malcolm cam@infirmatics.ed.ac.uk +44 (0)131 651 3445 DoD #205
    [http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

  11. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Chris Malcolm wrote [13 Feb 2004]:

    >>Having been through two screen cables on a Series 5 I can assure
    >>you that it isn't an MX-specific problem.

    > Had my heavily used 5mx for three years now. No sign of the cable
    > problem yet. Is this an inevitable problem?

    There is no warning. It just happens. Mine died suddenly after more than
    four years, without any signs of the problem.

    --
    (moskit-at-irc.pl)

  12. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    There is also the advantage that the netBook/Pro has the ability to use
    Ethernet/WiFi (although the choice of currently available cards is pitiful).
    With Linux you can then use Samba or NFS to backup to your OS of choice.
    Synchronisation remains a problem, however connectivity is vastly improved.

    ---

  13. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    On the 13 Feb 2004, AM Christophe wrote:

    > * ... all things that old psion users were crying for i.e Mac support,
    > good synchronisation with the MS Outlook Evil, good way to convert / export
    > / import / open MS documents, Multimedia player, network card drivers...).

    The biggest priority for me with regards to synchronisation is
    compatablility with the software I use on RISC OS - so that's Sheet <->
    Fireworkz, Word <-> Ovation Pro, Contacts & Agenda <-> Organizer and
    Psion Data to whatever the best RISC OS database is. Email
    synchronisation with Messenger Pro would be nice, but not essential.

    I haven't used PCs for serious work at home for nearly two years, I use
    RISC OS. All of my productivity is done on my parents' Microdigital
    Omega and my own A7000+.

    --
    Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
    The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

    NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

  14. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    On the 9 Feb 2004, Davor Cubranic wrote:

    > I may just as well hope Clive Sinclair is going to release a follow-up
    > to Z88.

    I've still got my Z88. No idea if it still works, though, as some
    batteries leaked in it. :-(
    --
    Jades' First Encounters Site - http://www.jades.org/ffe.htm
    The best Frontier: First Encounters site on the Web.

    NOSPAM@jades.org /is/ a real email address!

  15. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote

    > > Symbian PDA features built-in to modern mobile phones, the lack of
    > > keyboard is a killer.

    > Not now that there are freeware keyboard drivers for both Series 60

    and
    > UIQ. So, for example, my P800 has totally taken over from my Psion.

    It
    > does far more in most areas than the Psion (now that Quickoffice is

    out),
    > is far smaller, much more readable. And if I want to enter more than

    20 or
    > 30 characters of text, I just enable the keyboard driver and use my

    Palm
    > Wireless Keyboard, with its desktop-size keys. Most articles added

    > 3-Lib in the last few months were drafted out in this way.
    >
    > Works for me!

    OK it works for you Steve, but you say that the P800 'is far smaller'
    than your Psion, but what is the size of the Palm keyboard. Combined
    probably bigger than your Psion??

    I've got the PDF version of the P900 user manual and it appears to
    lack almost all of the EPOC features that I need on my Psions.

    Reg

  16. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Graham Thurlwell wrote:

    > The biggest priority for me with regards to synchronisation is
    > compatablility with the software I use on RISC OS - so that's Sheet <->
    > Fireworkz, Word <-> Ovation Pro, Contacts & Agenda <-> Organizer and
    > Psion Data to whatever the best RISC OS database is. Email
    > synchronisation with Messenger Pro would be nice, but not essential.

    What is the problem with those softwares? They are closed source. If you are
    ready to pay to be able to synchronise with them, then you would have to
    contact the corresponding companies (if the PDA was available of course).
    They are the only one that can certify that the 'synchronisation' will work
    correctly and that they will also support future version. Like this, if
    your synchronisation software doesn't work, you would know who you should
    contact. And as other synchronisation software will work greatly with your
    PDA, you will shortly understand where is the problem: your closed source
    software or companies choice.

    If it was possible, would you like to implement this 'interaction' between
    them and your PDA? If yes as you should have all the source code + a few
    synchronisation software source (as the PDA run Linux), you should be able
    to add support for your device. You need to know of course how to interact
    with Fireworkz, Ovation Pro...

    Feel free to understand the closed source software and companies choice
    issues.

    With best regards
    Amrein-Marie Christophe

  17. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    Marek Moskal wrote:
    > Chris Malcolm wrote [13 Feb 2004]:
    >
    >>> Having been through two screen cables on a Series 5 I can assure
    >>> you that it isn't an MX-specific problem.

    >> Had my heavily used 5mx for three years now. No sign of the cable
    >> problem yet. Is this an inevitable problem?

    > There is no warning. It just happens. Mine died suddenly after more
    > than four years, without any signs of the problem.

    Sadly, yes (see previous post)

    Dr. Dweeb.

  18. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    > OK it works for you Steve, but you say that the P800 'is far smaller'
    > than your Psion, but what is the size of the Palm keyboard. Combined
    > probably bigger than your Psion??

    Dunno. Not relevant though, as the keyboard lives in my van, so it always
    comes with me yet I never have to carry it. P800's Jot or on-screen
    keyboard is fine for short strings.

    > I've got the PDF version of the P900 user manual and it appears to
    > lack almost all of the EPOC features that I need on my Psions.

    With a couple of third party apps (Quickoffice, Handy Databank), I can't
    think offhand of any omissions.
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  19. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    [Text interleaved/in conversation order: read to end for all comments]
    begin quote from Steve Litchfield in comp.sys.psion.misc
    about: Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    >> Symbian PDA features built-in to modern mobile phones, the lack of
    >> keyboard is a killer.

    > Not now that there are freeware keyboard drivers for both Series 60 and
    > UIQ. So, for example, my P800 has totally taken over from my Psion. It
    > does far more in most areas than the Psion (now that Quickoffice is out),
    > is far smaller, much more readable. And if I want to enter more than 20 or
    > 30 characters of text, I just enable the keyboard driver and use my Palm
    > Wireless Keyboard, with its desktop-size keys. Most articles added to
    > 3-Lib in the last few months were drafted out in this way.

    Neat! That's _very_ useful to know..

    How does the Wireless Keyboard work? Infrared? Bluetooth?

    David.

    --
    David Marsh, |
    Edinburgh, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] | http://web.viewport.co.uk/ |
    >Please help me by correcting any errors in my foreign language posts!<
    >Please trim & interleave quotes otherwise your posts will not be read<

  20. Re: Psion selling Symbian stake to Nokia

    > > desktop-size keys. Most articles added to 3-Lib in the last few
    > > months were drafted out in this way.

    > Neat! That's _very_ useful to know..
    >
    > How does the Wireless Keyboard work? Infrared? Bluetooth?

    Infrared. Works like a charm on two AAA batteries for months...