PDA recommendation - Scion

This is a discussion on PDA recommendation - Scion ; My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen cable problem) and I need a new PDA. Important features Address book Agenda Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs) E-mail using a mobile / cell phone ...

  1. PDA recommendation

    My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen
    cable problem) and I need a new PDA.

    Important features

    Address book
    Agenda
    Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth
    Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash
    Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would be great if
    they could share)
    Programmability on the device

    I expect that the first five are no problem but I don't know about the
    last two. One thing that I liked about the Psion is that I could
    write my own programs on the device itself. This passed the time
    quite effectively on long flights and other times of extreme boredom.

    Unimportant features

    Games
    MP3

    Good battery life is also desirable. A nice point of the Psion is
    that it would run a long time on a pair of rechargeable AAs. I would
    usually carry one spare pair and of course it is very easy to buy some
    AAs so it was very unlikely that I would have a power problem. The
    newer PDAs seem worse in this respect, I guess that is the price of
    their nice bright colour screens. The Psion's screen was a weak point
    (in many respects, especially its cable). Built in rechargeable
    batteries are nice but what do you do if they run out when you are on
    the move? Are car chargers cheap?

    Now GPS issues.

    I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be able to
    connect to this. I would like to be able to manage waypoints from the
    PDA and download tracks. I used to use PsiGar for this on my Psion.
    Alternatively I may consider using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the
    PDA and the eMap just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.

    One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So apart from
    the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on connecting it to my
    eMap. The initial critical function is getting tracks from the eMap
    to the PDA with no loss of data. This is one of my main grumbles with
    the eMap. The tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but
    too much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

    Any suggestions?

  2. Re: PDA recommendation

    > Any suggestions?

    Another Psion 5mx???

    Richard

    "J 891" wrote in message
    news:386aaf52.0402080318.607bd63f@posting.google.c om...
    > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen
    > cable problem) and I need a new PDA.
    >
    > Important features
    >
    > Address book
    > Agenda
    > Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    > E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth
    > Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash
    > Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would be great if
    > they could share)
    > Programmability on the device
    >
    > I expect that the first five are no problem but I don't know about the
    > last two. One thing that I liked about the Psion is that I could
    > write my own programs on the device itself. This passed the time
    > quite effectively on long flights and other times of extreme boredom.
    >
    > Unimportant features
    >
    > Games
    > MP3
    >
    > Good battery life is also desirable. A nice point of the Psion is
    > that it would run a long time on a pair of rechargeable AAs. I would
    > usually carry one spare pair and of course it is very easy to buy some
    > AAs so it was very unlikely that I would have a power problem. The
    > newer PDAs seem worse in this respect, I guess that is the price of
    > their nice bright colour screens. The Psion's screen was a weak point
    > (in many respects, especially its cable). Built in rechargeable
    > batteries are nice but what do you do if they run out when you are on
    > the move? Are car chargers cheap?
    >
    > Now GPS issues.
    >
    > I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be able to
    > connect to this. I would like to be able to manage waypoints from the
    > PDA and download tracks. I used to use PsiGar for this on my Psion.
    > Alternatively I may consider using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the
    > PDA and the eMap just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    > bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.
    >
    > One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So apart from
    > the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on connecting it to my
    > eMap. The initial critical function is getting tracks from the eMap
    > to the PDA with no loss of data. This is one of my main grumbles with
    > the eMap. The tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but
    > too much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

  3. Re: PDA recommendation

    Another 5mx or an MC218 or what about a secondhand HP Jornada 680/690/720?

    Uses a CF card, but has a PCMCIA slot that could run a SM Card adaptor. Has
    a reasonable keyboard (not a patch on the Psion one though).

    Uses M$ Pocket Office apps - Outlook, Access, Word and Excel. Has IR for a
    mobile phone as well as a built in modem. I dont think that there are any
    programming options though, unless some pocket version exists.

    Battery pack is rechargable, but not AA, but an extended life version is
    available for mega-bucks (over 100 ukp last time that I looked).

    I believe that they come with a serial cable so you would be able to plug
    this into the eMap cable (assuming a 9 pin d-sub connector at the end of
    your cable) although you might have to use a null modem connector. Have a
    look at http://www.geocaching.com/waypoints/ to see if any of the PocketPC
    software might suit. I remember using Route Planner on a Handspring Visor,
    and if I remember correctly the CD contained the app and maps that would
    work on PocketPC too.

    I have got a 720 and have previously owned the 680 and the 690. Ignoring my
    M$ predjudices, they are not bad at all really. If you want something with a
    keyboard then there aren't a huge amount of other choices. The reality is
    that my 720 hasn't been used for 6 months as there is 800 miles between the
    charger and the device, and my other EPOC devices are so much better.

    Andy

  4. Re: PDA recommendation

    On 8 Feb, in article
    j_891@hotmail.com "J 891" wrote:

    > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen
    > cable problem) and I need a new PDA.

    Get it refurbed.
    --
    Raj Rijhwani | This is the voice of the Mysterons...
    raj@rijhwani.org | ... We know that you can hear us Earthmen

  5. Re: PDA recommendation

    j_891@hotmail.com (J 891) wrote in
    news:386aaf52.0402080318.607bd63f@posting.google.c om:

    > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked
    > screen cable problem) and I need a new PDA.
    >
    > Important features
    >
    > Address book
    > Agenda
    > Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    > E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth

    To here, a Palm Tungsten T (or T3) would be a perfect fit.

    > Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash

    If you're dead set on CF, then I have no recommendation. If SD
    will do, then the Tungsten is still what you want.

    > Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would
    > be great if
    > they could share)

    I know of no PDA of any brand that uses SM. I also have a
    camera that uses SM, but that format seems to be dying.

    > Programmability on the device

    Not sure what you mean here. You can write Palm programs on the
    Palm using many text editors and your choice of languages - C,
    Pascal, Basic, etc. Compilers may be more limited.

    > Now GPS issues.
    >
    > I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be
    > able to connect to this. I would like to be able to manage
    > waypoints from the PDA and download tracks. I used to use
    > PsiGar for this on my Psion. Alternatively I may consider
    > using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the PDA and the eMap
    > just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    > bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.

    Palms can do this, and so can PPCs. The PPC GPS mapping apps
    are more advanced than the Palm ones. Mapopolis is the best
    Palm choice, I can't help you with PPC.

    > One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So
    > apart from the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on
    > connecting it to my eMap. The initial critical function is
    > getting tracks from the eMap to the PDA with no loss of
    > data. This is one of my main grumbles with the eMap. The
    > tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but too
    > much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

    Putting tracklogs on a PDA isn't hard. There are several
    freeware apps that will do this, most notably Cetus GPS. A
    google search for PDA GPS cables will get you lots of choices
    for cables.

    --
    Regards,

    Stan

  6. Re: PDA recommendation

    J 891 wrote:

    > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen
    > cable problem) and I need a new PDA.
    >
    > Important features
    >
    > Address book
    > Agenda
    > Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    > E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth
    > Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash
    > Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would be great if
    > they could share)
    > Programmability on the device
    >
    > I expect that the first five are no problem but I don't know about the
    > last two. One thing that I liked about the Psion is that I could
    > write my own programs on the device itself. This passed the time
    > quite effectively on long flights and other times of extreme boredom.
    >
    > Unimportant features
    >
    > Games
    > MP3
    >
    > Good battery life is also desirable. A nice point of the Psion is
    > that it would run a long time on a pair of rechargeable AAs. I would
    > usually carry one spare pair and of course it is very easy to buy some
    > AAs so it was very unlikely that I would have a power problem. The
    > newer PDAs seem worse in this respect, I guess that is the price of
    > their nice bright colour screens. The Psion's screen was a weak point
    > (in many respects, especially its cable). Built in rechargeable
    > batteries are nice but what do you do if they run out when you are on
    > the move? Are car chargers cheap?
    >
    > Now GPS issues.
    >
    > I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be able to
    > connect to this. I would like to be able to manage waypoints from the
    > PDA and download tracks. I used to use PsiGar for this on my Psion.
    > Alternatively I may consider using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the
    > PDA and the eMap just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    > bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.
    >
    > One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So apart from
    > the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on connecting it to my
    > eMap. The initial critical function is getting tracks from the eMap
    > to the PDA with no loss of data. This is one of my main grumbles with
    > the eMap. The tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but
    > too much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

    I think a Zaurus does everything you mentioned. You really should go for
    at least an SL5600, as the previous models were lacking.

    Don't count on three weeks battery life with a Z though...

    --
    the Entity Formerly Known As Jazz

    From the Brief Compendium of Not-So-Clever-Things to say:
    "Oh yeah? You and whose army?" (Polish prime minister, 1939)

  7. Re: PDA recommendation

    the Entity Formerly Known as Jazz wrote in message news:...
    > J 891 wrote:

    > > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked screen
    > > cable problem) and I need a new PDA.
    > >
    > > Important features
    > >
    > > Address book
    > > Agenda
    > > Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    > > E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth
    > > Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash
    > > Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would be great if
    > > they could share)
    > > Programmability on the device

    > > Unimportant features
    > >
    > > Games
    > > MP3

    > > Now GPS issues.

    > > I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be able to
    > > connect to this. I would like to be able to manage waypoints from the
    > > PDA and download tracks. I used to use PsiGar for this on my Psion.
    > > Alternatively I may consider using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the
    > > PDA and the eMap just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    > > bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.
    > >
    > > One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So apart from
    > > the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on connecting it to my
    > > eMap. The initial critical function is getting tracks from the eMap
    > > to the PDA with no loss of data. This is one of my main grumbles with
    > > the eMap. The tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but
    > > too much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

    > I think a Zaurus does everything you mentioned. You really should go for
    > at least an SL5600, as the previous models were lacking.
    >
    > Don't count on three weeks battery life with a Z though...

    Thanks for the suggestion. I had missed these and thought that the OS
    choice was just Palm and PocketPC. Now I have some more hard thinking
    to do.

    I have just had a quick look at these on the web so far. They did not
    seem to do bluetooth. I was quite keen on this since it seems to make
    e-mail via a mobile phone (an important application) easier and gives
    me the choice of a bluetooth GPS device in the future.

  8. Re: PDA recommendation

    Stan Gosnell wrote in message news:...
    > j_891@hotmail.com (J 891) wrote in
    > news:386aaf52.0402080318.607bd63f@posting.google.c om:
    >
    > > My much loved Psion 5mx just died (the very common cracked
    > > screen cable problem) and I need a new PDA.
    > >
    > > Important features
    > >
    > > Address book
    > > Agenda
    > > Database (e.g. for listing my CDs and DVDs)
    > > E-mail using a mobile / cell phone and bluetooth

    > To here, a Palm Tungsten T (or T3) would be a perfect fit.
    >
    > > Uses standard cheap memory cards e.g. Compact Flash

    > If you're dead set on CF, then I have no recommendation. If SD
    > will do, then the Tungsten is still what you want.

    CF would be nice since I have a couple of CF cards from the Psion and
    there seem to be more CF based devices about. But it is not
    essential. As long as it takes some readily available cheap memory
    card.

    > > Can use Smart Media (my camera uses this and it would
    > > be great if
    > > they could share)

    > I know of no PDA of any brand that uses SM. I also have a
    > camera that uses SM, but that format seems to be dying.

    This was more in hope than expectation.

    > > Programmability on the device

    > Not sure what you mean here. You can write Palm programs on the
    > Palm using many text editors and your choice of languages - C,
    > Pascal, Basic, etc. Compilers may be more limited.

    I meant being able to write programs on the device. I don't mind much
    which language since they would not be very complex programs. I don't
    want to program for it on a PC since when I am at home I have better
    things to do. But on plane trips and other times of enforced
    idleness, it is useful and amusing way to pass the time.

    > > Now GPS issues.
    > >
    > > I currently use a Garmin eMap. So I need the PDA to be
    > > able to connect to this. I would like to be able to manage
    > > waypoints from the PDA and download tracks. I used to use
    > > PsiGar for this on my Psion. Alternatively I may consider
    > > using GPS software (e.g. TomTom) on the PDA and the eMap
    > > just as the GPS receiver. Later on, I may consider a
    > > bluetooth GPS receiver for the PDA.

    > Palms can do this, and so can PPCs. The PPC GPS mapping apps
    > are more advanced than the Palm ones. Mapopolis is the best
    > Palm choice, I can't help you with PPC.
    >
    > > One point is that I cannot afford everything at once. So
    > > apart from the PDA itself, I do not want to spend much on
    > > connecting it to my eMap. The initial critical function is
    > > getting tracks from the eMap to the PDA with no loss of
    > > data. This is one of my main grumbles with the eMap. The
    > > tracklog is too small. The saved tracks help a bit but too
    > > much data is lost (e.g. date and time).

    > Putting tracklogs on a PDA isn't hard. There are several
    > freeware apps that will do this, most notably Cetus GPS. A
    > google search for PDA GPS cables will get you lots of choices
    > for cables.

    Thanks

  9. Re: PDA recommendation

    The Sharp Zaurus handhelds look fairly nice. I'm holding my breath for
    the SL-6000. News says it'll be available in the next few months. I
    have no idea about the software it runs, except that it's Linux based,
    and various Linux stuff has been ported to it.

    There also are cross-compilation HOWTOs floating around the web, so if
    you know Linux, you can possibly port Your Favorite Software over.

    The 6000 series is rumored to come in different flavors. They have CF
    and SD slots, and have wireless ethernet and/or bluetooth depending on
    the submodel.

    I'm considering getting it, a CF VGA-out card, a foldup keyboard, and as
    much smart disk memory as it'll hold. Pocket-sized 400MHz presentation
    machine.

    Of course this is all wishful thinking. I'd like to get my hands on one
    in a store first. The reality might be terribly disappointing.

    Also, the Sony VAIO U101 is a very compact handheld. It looks like a
    laptop, but it folds to something a little deeper and thicker than a
    Series 5. It looks very sweet, but it (and its parts) are extremely
    expensive.

    --
    Rocco Caputo - rcaputo@pobox.com - http://poe.perl.org/

  10. Re: PDA recommendation

    > Of course this is all wishful thinking. I'd like to get my hands on one
    > in a store first. The reality might be terribly disappointing.

    Good luck to you...I have spent ages trying to find a tablet PC (TPC) to try
    out as a replacement/addition to my netBook. Finally found one in Dixons in
    Newcastle upon Tyne (UK) but without a stylus so I couldn't try the
    touchscreen.

    When I finally found a TPC with a stylus I found it very slow to use in
    comparison to the netbook. It seems that with some machines at least you can
    only use the touchscreen when the screen is rotated so that the keyboard
    cannot be used. There is also a timelag between moving the stylus and the
    reaction on the machine. All I want is a netBook style machine "without" a
    glide mouse (giving more room for the keyboard) and with a touchscreen which
    does not necessarily need a stylus, but which has good battery life and the
    touchscreen works when the keyboard is in use. Too much to ask....let's
    hope not.

    ---