TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium - Scion

This is a discussion on TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium - Scion ; I have just "upgraded" the routeplanner software on my netbook from Palmtop Millenium 2.13 to to TomTom routeplanner 3.0. The TomTom version takes about four times as long to plan a route and the maps use so much memory I ...

  1. TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    I have just "upgraded" the routeplanner software on my netbook from Palmtop
    Millenium 2.13 to to TomTom routeplanner 3.0. The TomTom version takes about
    four times as long to plan a route and the maps use so much memory I was
    forced to downgrade their level of detail. Does anybody else find this?

    Is it just because the maps are in colour? Or have TomTom/Palmtop had to
    compromise the algorithms to allow other crappy platforms like Palm and
    PocketPC to run the same maps?

    I'm sending my disc back to the vendor for a refund - it is crap!

  2. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    You should have removed all of the old route planner software first and
    installed the new version clean. Most people I know says it works just fine.
    If all else fails then try to hard reset your Psion and then load route
    planner to a clean install of the EPOC and then see what happens.

    regards

    "Ric" wrote in message
    > I have just "upgraded" the routeplanner software on my netbook from

    Palmtop
    > Millenium 2.13 to to TomTom routeplanner 3.0. The TomTom version takes

    about
    > four times as long to plan a route and the maps use so much memory I was
    > forced to downgrade their level of detail. Does anybody else find this?
    >
    > Is it just because the maps are in colour? Or have TomTom/Palmtop had to
    > compromise the algorithms to allow other crappy platforms like Palm and
    > PocketPC to run the same maps?
    >
    > I'm sending my disc back to the vendor for a refund - it is crap!

  3. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    "B" wrote in message
    > You should have removed all of the old route planner software first and
    > installed the new version clean. Most people I know says it works just

    fine.
    > If all else fails then try to hard reset your Psion and then load route
    > planner to a clean install of the EPOC and then see what happens.

    Yes I did completely unistall the previous version first. The new version is
    dog-slow. Also, why in preferences does it still offer options of "black on
    white" etc? I'd have thought if they made the effort to do the maps in
    colour, they could have upgraded the preferences too...

  4. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    Hi Ric,

    thus spoke Ric:
    [...]
    > The TomTom version takes about four times as long to plan
    > a route and the maps use so much memory I was forced to
    > downgrade their level of detail. Does anybody else find this?

    No need to find it - it's true. It's a matter of much more
    detailed maps. You have to die one death: More resources
    or less detail.

    [...]
    > I'm sending my disc back to the vendor for a refund - it is
    > crap!

    The only thing that's really crap, is the maximum zoom level.
    It's way to small: Millenium's maximum was ~2 km per screen
    width, TomTom shows even ~15 km. (

    But, nevertheless, the maps are _way_ better.

    Greets, Dirk

  5. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    "Dirk G. Straka" wrote in message
    news:3ive20hkuric5kvmjop1egi4vi68j6llhh@130.133.1. 4...
    > Hi Ric,
    >
    > thus spoke Ric:
    > [...]
    > > The TomTom version takes about four times as long to plan
    > > a route and the maps use so much memory I was forced to
    > > downgrade their level of detail. Does anybody else find this?

    > No need to find it - it's true. It's a matter of much more
    > detailed maps. You have to die one death: More resources
    > or less detail.

    I don't think the maps are more detailed. The only difference is that they
    are in colour which seems to take up huge memory. With Millenium, I had east
    and west europe map at level 4 (ie max detail) on my netbook and it took
    only about 20MB. I now have only western Europe, and only at level 3, for
    samish diskspace. Also program runs much, much slower.

    > [...]
    > > I'm sending my disc back to the vendor for a refund - it is
    > > crap!

    > The only thing that's really crap, is the maximum zoom level.
    > It's way to small: Millenium's maximum was ~2 km per screen
    > width, TomTom shows even ~15 km. (
    >
    > But, nevertheless, the maps are _way_ better.
    >
    > Greets, Dirk

  6. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    Hi Ric,

    thus spoke Ric, citing me, citing him:
    > > [...]
    > > > The TomTom version takes about four times as long to plan
    > > > a route and the maps use so much memory I was forced to
    > > > downgrade their level of detail. Does anybody else find this?

    > > No need to find it - it's true. It's a matter of much more
    > > detailed maps. You have to die one death: More resources
    > > or less detail.

    > I don't think the maps are more detailed.

    Rest assured, they are! Just have a close look at the details.
    I had the chance to compare them side by side and the new ones
    are _way_ more detailed. They know much more roads (e. g. the
    street where I live: even it's curves are mapped in Germany L5,
    although it's just in a residential zone - but the old Millenium
    just knew the federal highway which crosses my hometown, and even
    this big road was just a straight line) and much more cities,
    too.

    Greets, Dirk

  7. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    > this big road was just a straight line) and much more cities,
    > too.

    I don't suppose either of you could do me a colour screenshot of TomTom
    Route Planner 3.0 in high detail mode? I'm writing some of this up in
    print and I've only got a monochrome 5mx here at the moment.

    Thanks
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  8. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    Hi Steve,

    thus spoke Steve Litchfield:
    > > this big road was just a straight line) and much more cities,
    > > too.

    > I don't suppose either of you could do me a colour screenshot
    > of TomTom Route Planner 3.0 in high detail mode? I'm writing
    > some of this up in print and I've only got a monochrome 5mx
    > here at the moment.

    Mine's monochrome, too. I wonder if there are any color 5mx
    out there ... ;o)

    SCNR.

    Greets, Dirk

  9. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    > > I don't suppose either of you could do me a colour screenshot
    > > of TomTom Route Planner 3.0 in high detail mode? I'm writing
    > > some of this up in print and I've only got a monochrome 5mx
    > > here at the moment.

    > Mine's monochrome, too. I wonder if there are any color 5mx
    > out there ... ;o)

    You know what I mean. Someone with a S7 or netBook 8-)
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  10. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    "Steve Litchfield" wrote in message
    news:memo.20040219081431.556P@slitchfield.ukonline .co.uk...
    > > > I don't suppose either of you could do me a colour screenshot
    > > > of TomTom Route Planner 3.0 in high detail mode? I'm writing
    > > > some of this up in print and I've only got a monochrome 5mx
    > > > here at the moment.

    > > Mine's monochrome, too. I wonder if there are any color 5mx
    > > out there ... ;o)

    > You know what I mean. Someone with a S7 or netBook 8-)

    I would happily send you one in level 3 detail (second highest) on Netbook.
    As I said earlier, there is not enough room on my 64mb card for the level 4
    detail maps.

  11. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    > I would happily send you one in level 3 detail (second highest) on
    > Netbook.
    > As I said earlier, there is not enough room on my 64mb card for the
    > level 4
    > detail maps.

    I guess part of the problem is that you're loading in a much larger area
    than me. I normally have just the UK, which even at highest detail only
    takes about 5MB!!

    Still a colour screenshot of level 3 on your netBook would still be
    helpful, if you can find the time. Contd by email?

    Cheers
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/

  12. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    Hi Steve,
    I have a S7, Route Planner 3.0, and the UK installed at max detail.
    You have mail!
    Simon.

  13. Re: TomTom routeplanner v Palmtop routeplanner millenium

    In article , spooley@mpc-data.co.uk
    (Simon Pooley) wrote:

    > Hi Steve,
    > I have a S7, Route Planner 3.0, and the UK installed at max detail.
    > You have mail!
    > Simon.

    Thanks, all, but enough 8-)

    The article's gone in now!

    Cheers
    Steve Litchfield, 3-Lib, http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/
    For Psion and Symbian handhelds, with computer-based training on CD
    Also PocketInfo, useful files - http://3lib.ukonline.co.uk/pocketinfo
    Journalism: sub-editor and/or senior contributor to:
    Palmtop User - http://www.palmtop.co.uk/
    PDA Essentials - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pdaessentials.html
    PC Basics - http://www.paragon.co.uk/mags/pcbasics.html
    Reviews editor, AllAboutSymbian - http://www.allaboutsymbian.com/