Help -- Screen Trouble - MC218 - Scion

This is a discussion on Help -- Screen Trouble - MC218 - Scion ; ****, the Dweeb is in serious trouble. Just hours before a trip, my trusty MC218 has died due to screen trouble. Horizontal lines all over the place. It will power up, but I do not seem to be able to ...

  1. Help -- Screen Trouble - MC218

    ****, the Dweeb is in serious trouble.

    Just hours before a trip, my trusty MC218 has died due to screen trouble.
    Horizontal lines all over the place. It will power up, but I do not seem to
    be able to get it to link. I did a hard reset. Luckily my NetBook is in
    good working order - just bigger than I need to carry on this trip.

    I have a broken screen 5MX lying around.

    Q: Is the screen cable the same in both machines ??

    I ask this question for the obvious reason that I may try and swap them -
    risky - but also because I notice that the price for an MC218 cable is
    higher at the repair shop in germany.

    Also, I recall there was some guy in asia somewhere selling "new & improved"
    cables, but I cannot find the reference.

    Dr. Dweeb

  2. Re: Help -- Screen Trouble - MC218

    "Dr. Dweeb" wrote in message
    > ****, the Dweeb is in serious trouble.
    >
    > Just hours before a trip, my trusty MC218 has died due to screen trouble.
    > Horizontal lines all over the place. It will power up, but I do not seem

    > be able to get it to link. I did a hard reset. Luckily my NetBook is in
    > good working order - just bigger than I need to carry on this trip.
    >
    > I have a broken screen 5MX lying around.
    >
    > Q: Is the screen cable the same in both machines ??
    >
    > I ask this question for the obvious reason that I may try and swap them -
    > risky - but also because I notice that the price for an MC218 cable is
    > higher at the repair shop in germany.
    >
    > Also, I recall there was some guy in asia somewhere selling "new &

    improved"
    > cables, but I cannot find the reference.
    >

    > Dr. Dweeb

    You could always look in the newsgroup archives- google. And you can save
    copies of newsgoup messages........

    www.psionflexi.fsbusiness.co.uk/flexi_info.htm
    www.srsgmbh.de/en/index1.html

    I can't check the links or get any more just now, my computer is crashing.
    There were links showing the stripdown too.
    I hope you can do fine soldering, and have a low power (12W, maybe 15W) Iron
    as the solder tracks are really close- 0.05"- closer than most solder
    headers you see.

    ---

  3. Re: Help -- Screen Trouble - MC218

    Yes, you can swap the screens. I have certainly done it in the past and I
    think my 5mx currently has an MC218 screen (difficult to be sure - I've
    pulled my various Psions to bits so often!).

+ Reply to Thread