Malaybook - is OS updatable? - Scion

This is a discussion on Malaybook - is OS updatable? - Scion ; I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use a special Malaybook OS?...

  1. Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use a
    special Malaybook OS?

  2. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:35:06 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

    >I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    >Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use a
    >special Malaybook OS?

    Correct; normal netBook OSs won't be recognised.

  3. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    The MBook has one OS version and is not upgradeable.

    Richard

    "Ric" wrote in message
    > I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    > Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use

    > special Malaybook OS?

  4. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    "Graham Holden" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:35:06 +0100, "Ric" wrote:
    >
    > >I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    > >Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use

    > >special Malaybook OS?

    > Correct; normal netBook OSs won't be recognised.

    Thanks - do you know if changing the personality module will free this
    restriction?

  5. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    In article ,
    noVote wrote:
    > "Ric" wrote in message
    > > I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    > > Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use

    > > special Malaybook OS?

    > The MBook has one OS version and is not upgradeable.
    >
    > Richard

    The netBook linux project has made some progress in creating linux OS.IMG
    images that will boot on the MalayBook (and not the proper netBook).
    My hope is that the knowledge on how to do this will enable someone to
    patch the latest OS.IMG image from Psion to be bootable on the MalayBook
    as well...

    Lars J

  6. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 16:32:36 +0100, "Ric" wrote:

    >"Graham Holden" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 11:35:06 +0100, "Ric" wrote:
    >>
    >> >I have a Malaybook and decided to try to upgrade the OS with one from the
    >> >Teklogix site. Can't get past the splash screen. Can I therefore only use

    >> >special Malaybook OS?

    >> Correct; normal netBook OSs won't be recognised.

    >Thanks - do you know if changing the personality module will free this
    >restriction?

    Yes; if you can get a "real" netBook's personality module, you can
    swap it for the MalayBook's one and then use any of the "normal" OSs.

    See also the reply Lars's reply about the work done by the Linux
    people... at some point (but not yet) it _might_ allow generic OS.IMG
    files to be used on the MalayBook.

  7. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    > >Thanks - do you know if changing the personality module will free this
    > >restriction?

    > Yes; if you can get a "real" netBook's personality module, you can
    > swap it for the MalayBook's one and then use any of the "normal" OSs.

    I saw recently that Expansys were selling the personality modules again.
    More expensive than when they first sold them though (60 or 70 ?)
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=S7NBUPG
    It says 10-20 in stock, "Last few units in stock, first come first served!"
    116.33 inc VAT (for what's basically a 16M RAM card!!!)

    They sell screen protectors now as well:
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=PP_NBOOKSTYLUS

    Wonder how many nB pro's they've sold? Always seems to show 1-5 in stock.
    Might sell more if we could load EPOC onto it :-)

    I recently took the risk of buying a Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP
    10 mbps WLAN card for my 7book. Wasn't sure if it would
    be able to power it (crashed frequently when trying to use two CF cards
    at the same time). It works very well, even when also powering a 256M
    24x speed compactflash :-)

    Can now surf the web at broadband speed on the 7book.
    The Opera browser in the OS is a bit naff though (lack of navigation
    buttons, and if you click a PDF document, it downloads it to its cache
    folder, but doesn't prompt to save it, only to open with PDF+, which
    often seems to show the last PDF file viewed instead of the one just
    downloaded!
    Have to copy it from C:\System\Apps\Opera\cache4\ and rename it.
    (Even if it did show the downloaded file, PDF+ also doesn't allow "save
    as").

    I'm now 30M away from filling a 256M CF card, so within a few months
    I'll try a 512MB 45x speed (6.75 MB/s sustained) compactflash card e.g.
    http://www.orcalogic.co.uk/Products/Flash_Com.htm
    (Which costs almost exactly what the 16M netBook module does now!)

    Paul

  8. Re: Malaybook - is OS updatable?

    There is little value in changing to the netbook personality module.

    What do you want to do on the mBook that you can only do on the netBook? I
    can't see Psion ever upgrading OS158 on the netBook now that they are
    selling WinCEBooks (netBookPro). The mBook OS is just a OS158 derivative
    from what I understand. I have an mBook and a couple of netBooks so if there
    is something that you want me to test on both just post a reply here.

    The price for the personality module is ridiculous. I bought an mBook for
    200 plus postage that had barely been used.

    Andy

  9. Re: Malaybook -Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP WLAN card

    |I recently took the risk of buying a Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP
    |10 mbps WLAN card for my 7book. Wasn't sure if it would
    |be able to power it (crashed frequently when trying to use two CF cards
    |at the same time). It works very well, even when also powering a 256M
    |24x speed compactflash :-)

    What is a "7book" - do you mean the Series 7? So the Buffalo WLI-PCM-
    L11GP 10 mbps WLAN card should given wireless surfing capabilities to
    my Series 7 (which would be great news).

    Philip

  10. Re: Malaybook -Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP WLAN card

    "Philip" wrote in message
    > |I recently took the risk of buying a Buffalo WLI-PCM-L11GP
    > |10 mbps WLAN card for my 7book. Wasn't sure if it would
    > |be able to power it (crashed frequently when trying to use two CF cards
    > |at the same time). It works very well, even when also powering a 256M
    > |24x speed compactflash :-)
    >
    > What is a "7book" - do you mean the Series 7? So the Buffalo WLI-PCM-
    > L11GP 10 mbps WLAN card should given wireless surfing capabilities to
    > my Series 7 (which would be great news).

    A series7 with it's O.S. card replaced with a netBook personality module:
    http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?code=S7NBUPG
    Not cheap - when they first sold these I think they were 60-70.

    If you have the S7 memory upgrade, you won't be able to use it
    in a netBook, but I find that I almost never run out of RAM
    given the amount left free with the netBook :-)

    Paul

+ Reply to Thread